Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I wonder if the Thai red chicken curry is cost optimised?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I wonder if the Thai red chicken curry is cost optimised?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I enjoyed the Thai red chicken curry in the Galleries Club north before my flight to TLS today. It tasted good, but as always there was only a small amount of chicken in each dish, even when they were fresh from the kitchen.

This made me wonder whether or not BA is actually doing a good job of cost optimisation on this product. On the one hand they may be using less chicken per customer, which will lead to relatively lower costs. But on the other hand they have relatively higher labour, washup and other logistics costs because the dish does not last long on the buffet before they take it away and there is always quite a lot of sauce left over.

If they put some cheap vegetables like onions, peppers etc... in the dish it would probably last longer (reducing logistics costs) and passengers would take more of the sauce (reducing waste costs). On the other hand, the vegetable preparation, storage and delivery would also have a cost.

What do you think? Do you think BA are actually cost optimised in this product?

I think you’re overthinking it.
Old May 20, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by simons1

The running of the lounges is outsourced after a tender and I doubt BA has any interest or involvement in how much chicken is used.

Your business-school-speak is very impressive but I fear you have missed the point.

Isn't price a big determining factor when picking a vendor ? One expects a supplier ( here BA to pax) to be mindful of the specs and checks on the quality/ quantity of products served. Hard to believe vendor is shortchanging specs. Enhancement maybe ?
Old May 20, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by chongcao

Sandwich bar

Salad Bar

Ice-cream next to main dishes

Although I have lost the photo of the chicken I had in Singapore Airlines lounge in T2. But nevertheless I want to posted these pictures to show you guys what you have missed by loyal to BA. Remember there are about 6 main course dishes I am not posting in case you get too jealous...
Not much good if you’re flying from LHR to TLS though!

...and not a patch on the VS lounge if you’re comparing long haul only vs long haul. Now that would get CE flyers jealous!
Old May 20, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Recently had Chef-prepared Thai Curry Chicken at the Senator Lounge in ZRH. It was excellent.
hugolover likes this.
Old May 20, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by T8191

... but then we should remember that meat is a luxury item in Asia
A very ignorant comment. As someone who lives in Asia, I take offence to this.
Old May 21, 2018, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Boten
A very ignorant comment. As someone who lives in Asia, I take offence to this.
My apologies ... I expressed myself badly. I was alluding to the smaller amounts of meat usually encountered in Asian dishes, as opposed to the 'meat heavy' tendency in Europe and the USA.
Old May 21, 2018, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by HMPS
Isn't price a big determining factor when picking a vendor ? One expects a supplier ( here BA to pax) to be mindful of the specs and checks on the quality/ quantity of products served. Hard to believe vendor is shortchanging specs. Enhancement maybe ?
I am sure price is a factor when tendering the lounge contract. Also that there are KPIs involved in managing the supplier. However I doubt that the 'cost optimisation' of chicken curry comes into play either in the specs or the ongoing management.
Old May 28, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by simons1
I am sure price is a factor when tendering the lounge contract. Also that there are KPIs involved in managing the supplier. However I doubt that the 'cost optimisation' of chicken curry comes into play either in the specs or the ongoing management.
Me thinks: A vendor saves pennies per serving....increases profits.....Vendors ( many) try to cut corners...hence the old adage " inspect what you expect". A simple test by a supervisor is how do I react to meager servings or would I pay for this ? Would I return to this dish or this establishment " Etc etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.