FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Best lounge at DXB for a Gold / Amex Platinum member? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1910245-best-lounge-dxb-gold-amex-platinum-member.html)

Tredders May 20, 18 9:02 am

Best lounge at DXB for a Gold / Amex Platinum member?

I'm off to Dubai in a week with work, and got a good deal to upgrade my WT+ seat to CW (20k Avios & £50), so I'll be traveling in (relative) comfort :) But I digress... It's been years since I've been to Dubai, so was wondering if someone could tell me the best lounge for the return leg? I'll be flying from T1 at DXB. I'm a Gold Exec member, and hold a Platinum AMEX (which gives Priority Pass membership). I also status matched with Turkish Airlines, so I'm now also Gold on Star Alliance.

The LoungeBuddy app seems to suggest a number of different lounges, but having not been there for a good few years, I've no idea which are good / bad / indifferent. I'll be travelling with a colleague who has (I think) no status on BA, so I'm hoping that whichever lounge I go into, I'll be able to sign him in as a guest.

Thanks in advance for any help.

mikeyfly May 20, 18 9:09 am

Post #15 in the lounge thread shows the BA offering. It’s ok but gets very busy

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post19777117

Tredders May 20, 18 9:12 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly (Post 29774079)
Post #15 in the lounge thread shows the BA offering. Itís ok but gets very busy

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post19777117

Thanks for that. LoungeBuddy suggests that I can also access the SkyTeam lounge, the Marhaba lounge and the Ahlan lounge (all down to the Amex Platinum), so if anyone has experiences of those, I'd be grateful.

Airprox May 20, 18 9:43 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly (Post 29774079)
Itís ok but gets very busy

That's a slight understatement! When it's an 86J B744 there aren't even enough seats for all the CW passengers before you add on all the status pax in WT+/WT. The BA lounge is very poor, but unfortunately I haven't experienced any of the others to be able to comment on those.

DYKWIA May 20, 18 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Tredders (Post 29774087)
Thanks for that. LoungeBuddy suggests that I can also access the SkyTeam lounge, the Marhaba lounge and the Ahlan lounge (all down to the Amex Platinum), so if anyone has experiences of those, I'd be grateful.

I did the Skyteam lounge a few weeks back. It was very busy when I arrived at 21:00 for a 00:45 departure (a killer...), but it quietened off later. It was OK, but nothing special. Quite a good selection of food (the mini cottage pies were great!).

I should have tried the other PP lounges, but didn't bother in the end.

Tredders May 20, 18 9:50 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 29774191)
I did the Skyteam lounge a few weeks back. It was very busy when I arrived at 21:00 for a 00:45 departure (a killer...), but it quietened off later. It was OK, but nothing special. Quite a good selection of food (the mini cottage pies were great!).

I should have tried the other PP lounges, but didn't bother in the end.

You had me at "mini cottage pies" :)

Sounds like I'll do a mini-tour, assuming all 3 lounges are close together.

DYKWIA May 20, 18 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Tredders (Post 29774199)
You had me at "mini cottage pies" :)

Sounds like I'll do a mini-tour, assuming all 3 lounges are close together.

Yes - they are all within about 60 seconds walking distance of each other :)

Dubliner1 May 20, 18 10:44 am

The QR lounge was nice but you could not get in as a OWE unfortunately.

Airprox May 20, 18 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Dubliner1 (Post 29774302)
The QR lounge was nice but you could not get in as a OWE unfortunately.

Just for anyone else reading for DXB lounge advice who isn't aware, this lounge is now closed.

travelwithross May 20, 18 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Airprox (Post 29774381)
Just for anyone else reading for DXB lounge advice who isn't aware, this lounge is now closed.

And if it ever does re open you can only access if flying QR First. OW rules never did apply.

OP. Skip the BA lounge and go straight to the Ahlan lounge. Itís massive, has table service, full bar with rose, champagne and wines, and a menu you can order from. There is a SPA and showers as well. BA is pathetic in comparison.

Skyteam lounge is basic as well.

mwp1 May 20, 18 1:11 pm

I used the BA lounge last month and couldn't fault it , thought it was quite excellent TBH I was only there for maybe 1 hour

Raffles May 20, 18 1:51 pm

Oddly, the BA lounge is great if you are NOT flying BA if you time it right. I did an RJ last year, was the first person of the day at in the BA lounge and not a single person joined me in the hour I was there. Food etc all fully laid out!