Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Slow Lounge Food Poisoning ( CPT)... Anyone Else?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Slow Lounge Food Poisoning ( CPT)... Anyone Else?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2018, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by masmadrid
I have no medical training. Who ever asserted that?!

Must you be a pilot to demand expert piloting on your flight?
Not at all. But maybe if you were to question what a pilot says?
It’s not just medical training, food handlers should know these details too.
Old May 20, 2018, 4:40 pm

I’m sorry the OP has had this experience - I’ve only had severe food poisoning once, and it was not an experience I would like to repeat

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
One of the insidious aspects of food poisoning is dehydration - most of us don't consume enough liquids, which is fine most of the time, but food poisoning is when problems can really start.
Indeed, and this is where I got into trouble: food poisoning and subsequent dehydration has caused me my one and only missed flight so far. Due to fly Ryanair and (unbeknownst to me) had eaten a dodgy prawn the night before. In the morning, I didn’t feel great but made it to Stansted. Ended up having to lie down in a quiet first aid room.

Felt better a bit while later, and still in time for the flight - great! Got as far as the gate before my hands and face started cramping up - it was quite frightening as I had no idea what was wrong. At first the gate agents asked if I was scared of flying, but through (unwillingly) clenched teeth I asked them to call a paramedic.

Luckily, I didn’t require IV fluids, and returned home to recover - but it was a salutary wake up call that food poisoning can really dehydrate you: if you can’t even keep water down, and you’re losing fluids, you don’t even realise until you’re in trouble.

Ryanair were great and rebooked me at no charge two days later. This was in 2006, so I think I lucked out!
Old May 21, 2018, 12:29 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by masmadrid
People saying it's highly unlikely: please state your medical training and research in to food-borne illnesses (and at least try not to mis-quote the data from the FDA website).
why do you need to state your qualifications to be non alarmist yet to make accusations against people you need have no qualifications at all? Sounds arse about face to me. I would suggest that you need more qualification to state something that could potentially (but unlikely) be libellous.
Old May 21, 2018, 1:20 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Can we just make a template reply for any food poisoning threads? because they all follow exactly the same flow.

Poster "I just flew xxx from xx to xx, x hours later I became extremely ill. It was definitely the airlines/lounge food because it was the only thing I had eaten in x hours"

Reply "Welcome to the forum. So sorry to hear about your experience. The timing is a bit quick for food poisoning. Have you let the airline know so they can see if any others are afflicted. I'm not medical but *insert medical fact here*. sounds like norovirus to me. no compensation."
Old May 21, 2018, 2:10 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I thought this thread would be about being gradually poisoned from eating in lounges too often.
Old May 21, 2018, 4:00 am

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
I do not know how quickly cheese can upset one's tummy. I know that Prawns can act within about an hour.
I agree and had this experience twice, once in my hometown and once while travelling. And on both occasions it was highly unlikely caused by something else.
My wife was very ill in a few hours after eating in a busy restaurant in the Terminal 21 shopping mall in Bangkok’s Sukhumvit-area, while my meal (different choice) was great.

Old May 21, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss

why do you need to state your qualifications to be non alarmist yet to make accusations against people you need have no qualifications at all? Sounds arse about face to me. I would suggest that you need more qualification to state something that could potentially (but unlikely) be libellous.
Arse about face might cause sickness.
Old May 21, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
The equally likely alternative to the dubious cheese is the absence of running water in every one of the airport toilets (switched off due to the drought) and consequential hygiene issues arising from that. My OH experienced milder symptoms than the OP described a day later without eating anything in the SLOW Lounge. Anecdotal reports from someone working in the hotel industry in JNB is it has been an increasingly common ailment amongst people returning from the Cape.
(I have a GCSE in Biology, since it seems necessary to declare qualifications to comment here ;-)
Old May 21, 2018, 10:45 am

I didn't take any Science "O" levels. As punishment, I had to take 3 Maths "O" levels. Now, can I continue to contribute?
Old May 21, 2018, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
I didn't take any Science "O" levels. As punishment, I had to take 3 Maths "O" levels. Now, can I continue to contribute?
Only if you can calculate the statistical probability of the infection being due to the food in the SLOW lounge.
Old May 21, 2018, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by SteveF

Only if you can calculate the statistical probability of the infection being due to the food in the SLOW lounge.
Yup, Stats was one of them. I can still do most of it. However, my typing is not up to providing you with the proof. Shame.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.