Las Palmas

Old May 19, 2018, 11:59 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: London
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 77
Exclamation Las Palmas

Just curious as to people’s experience of traveling with BA they LPA in say mid June or early July.

looking at the Saturday LPA-LHR direct 13.30ish flight.

Does flying CE over ET have any real benefit at LPA I.e separate check in desk and FT security, I really don’t want the hassle of queing for ages in ET. Getting stuck behind families not preparing properly does my head in .

is the private lounge decent enough to grab some quiet time and use clean toilets

TIA
RyanLHR is offline  
Old May 20, 2018, 1:53 am
  #2  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 64,487
You are looking specifically for the LPA to LHR sector by the sounds of it.

As far as I recall there isn't a fast track at LPA, though the process in Spanish airports is reasonably slick and efficient. I sometimes go through security several times a day (and we also have it at work too) so I have some sympathy with your perspective, but in the words of the Sparks brothers, "so just be gracious and wait in the queue". [When do I get to sing My Way, an anthem to DYKWIA status]

The lounge Sala Galdos is a on a top level with good views and yes a reasonably pleasant spot to get a decent seat, some drinks and snacks. I can't recall the state of the toilets unfortunately. Then during the flight itself you will get a Long meal, which i think are pretty good for quite a long flight.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old May 20, 2018, 3:48 am
  #3  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,246
It’ll be interesting to see if a LGW-LPA service for W18/19 is introduced using the monarch slots.
volar likes this.
FlyerTalker39574 is offline  
Old May 20, 2018, 4:17 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 864
Originally Posted by richardwft
It’ll be interesting to see if a LGW-LPA service for W18/19 is introduced using the monarch slots.
That would be good. BA did launch daily LGW-LPA services back in 2015 and then cancelled the route before it started to operate. I was booked on several which ended up being changed to LHR via MAD. Would be good to see this come back.
volar is offline  
Old May 20, 2018, 4:43 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Programs: BA GGL, IB PLATINO, AB GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Posts: 115
A lot of "pros". In this route you will get 80 TP. In my opinion, the lounge is fantastic, with good selection of premium spirits, variety of snacks, and a wonderful terrace, with incredible views also with smoking area. The only thing that I miss in this lounge is the Freixenet cava that they offer in the past. No fast track in LPA, but if you want a trick, you must select the first security gates, that normaly uses people who fly in regional flights (very quiet always). For a more than 4 hours flight, the service on board is quite acceptable, but remember me the service that BA offered in Economy few years ago (maybe 20 years ago).
PLATINOIB is offline  
Old May 20, 2018, 6:52 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Newcastle UK
Posts: 1,114
I echo what people have said so far for the most part. Only thing people may have not mentioned is that, yes, there is a separate CE checkin, but if you're waiting before they open you need to ask if you're in the correct queue. Even then the desk number sometimes changes depending on which staff member you ask, so then it's runaround. As people have said, the lounge is fairly good for a non BA lounge. My only real gripe is with the general lack of priority boarding. Almost every time we fly this route it's a remote stand and a bus, so priority boarding seems to go belly up.
northeastflyer is offline  
Old Dec 1, 2023, 8:26 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Posts: 1,061
Anyone know how long before departure I could check in my bags?

I’m travelling LPA to LGW in a few weeks….and departure is early evening.

thanks
HFHFFlyer is offline  
Old Dec 1, 2023, 9:19 am
  #8  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 64,487
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
Anyone know how long before departure I could check in my bags?

I’m travelling LPA to LGW in a few weeks….and departure is early evening.
It may be stated in Manage My Booking under Other ways to check-in. If not, the usual time is 2 hours before departure on shorthaul.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Feb 10, 2024, 10:19 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 3,608

I arrived 2.5 hours ahead of departure time. On the left you can see the queue for CE, on the right for ET. I doubt it’s being policed. Although to be fair CE is 14 rows today. If you add people with status and self upgraders, it is about right.
ringingup is offline  
Old Feb 11, 2024, 3:52 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Newcastle UK
Posts: 1,114
Originally Posted by ringingup

I arrived 2.5 hours ahead of departure time. On the left you can see the queue for CE, on the right for ET. I doubt it’s being policed. Although to be fair CE is 14 rows today. If you add people with status and self upgraders, it is about right.
It's always the same. They say they open 2 hrs before departure, but they usually open up just a few minutes earlier if they're ready.

I always arrive about 3.0 to 3.5 hours before and wait at the desk number to the left. It's always been the Club desk. I just check with the staff as they begin to set up.

At least it you're first or so in the queue you can get to the lounge and relax a bit. If you're at the back of the queue the lounge may be a very quick visit or even not an option. The lounge is very good so it's worth it. So much better than the old one.
northeastflyer is offline  
Old Feb 11, 2024, 5:19 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 433
Originally Posted by northeastflyer
It's always the same. They say they open 2 hrs before departure, but they usually open up just a few minutes earlier if they're ready.

I always arrive about 3.0 to 3.5 hours before and wait at the desk number to the left. It's always been the Club desk. I just check with the staff as they begin to set up.

At least it you're first or so in the queue you can get to the lounge and relax a bit. If you're at the back of the queue the lounge may be a very quick visit or even not an option. The lounge is very good so it's worth it. So much better than the old one.
I agree with this, although often I’ve found the queue on the left longer at 3hrs before anyway so I just go in the right queue. The BAH transfers time it quite well tbh.
jamestg is offline  
Old Feb 11, 2024, 5:34 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 3,608
Yes, in hindsight I should’ve arrived earlier. It wasn’t stressful, but it’s boring to queue for so long.

I agree the lounge was a nice space, especially view wise. I only spent a few minutes there.

Boarding was shambolic!
ringingup is offline  
Old Mar 11, 2024, 6:54 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lincolnshire
Programs: BAEC Bronze, IHG Priority Club Platinum, SPG, Tufty Club
Posts: 221
Just checked in at LPA. Turned up at the airport approx 3 hours before departure and they were already checking pax in. Queued for 20 minutes or so before we got to the front of the relatively short queue, efficient check-in but alas the boarding pass didn't get us access to the 'fastrak' security line despite the check-in staff insisting it would but not really an issue as the normal security lines were pretty quick.
Does anyone know if we have to clear immigration before proceeding to the gate, and if it's likely to be a bus gate?
Currently in lounge enjoying the airport view!
Englishlee0710 is offline  
Old Mar 11, 2024, 7:09 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Edinburgh
Programs: Mucci; BAEC GGL; (In memoriam: KLM Flying Dutchman Royal Wing & FB Platinum Elite)
Posts: 198
Yes when you go to the gates, usually the D ones there are e gates serving a group of gates where you will get your passport stamped as well if you are a UK citizen- once you are through you have access to the gate holding areas. In my experience has all been straight forward. Just be aware that the D gates are at the far end of the terminal - so don’t stay in the lounge enjoying ‘the view’ for too long It’s only about 5-10 minutes walk realistically
beamac is offline  
Old Mar 11, 2024, 7:19 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lincolnshire
Programs: BAEC Bronze, IHG Priority Club Platinum, SPG, Tufty Club
Posts: 221
Originally Posted by beamac
Yes when you go to the gates, usually the D ones there are e gates serving a group of gates where you will get your passport stamped as well if you are a UK citizen- once you are through you have access to the gate holding areas. In my experience has all been straight forward. Just be aware that the D gates are at the far end of the terminal - so don’t stay in the lounge enjoying ‘the view’ for too long It’s only about 5-10 minutes walk realistically

Thanks Beamac.
Englishlee0710 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.