Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is the Lloyds Avios upgrade voucher changing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the Lloyds Avios upgrade voucher changing?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2018, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Iamnotlost
Yes @chistery. My new cards came a few days ago.. Both expire 05/22. I was very surprised (and pleased) though I suppose there is nothing to stop them withdrawing one or both cards before then.
When BA used NatWest for BA airmiles ( now Avios) and moved to AMEX Natwest and BA just said the agreement to collect airmiles and vouchers would end on a set date but the visa card would continue to be valid just not collect avios. I still have my Natwest card today I just don't get any avios if I use it. I would suspect Lloyds would just do the same and not terminate the cards.
Old May 20, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerGill
Just how do I book BA1 with a voucher?
I know it has to be done over the phone but the voucher is for a one cabin upgrade and there are no other cabins to upgrade from.
You just go to avios.com, go to vouchers, and select "Use This" and search for the flights. If BA1 has availability you just select it and pay 26000 avios (each way) + tax.
Old May 20, 2018, 10:28 am

Just how do I book BA1 with a voucher?
I know it has to be done over the phone but the voucher is for a one cabin upgrade and there are no other cabins to upgrade from.
The voucher is not actually for an upgrade at all - it’s marketed as such but it’s actually for a discount on a standard reward seat, with the discount being the difference between the normal avios price for that class and the (notional) price of an award seat in the class below for that route.

Thus BA1/2 works fine with the voucher online, despite the T&C.
Old May 20, 2018, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
At one time, the voucher got you the ACTUAL price of the next cheapest cabin.

This meant no BA1 (as no cheaper cabin) BUT on the ex BMI routes with no WTP you got Business for the miles of Economy.
All changed now.
Old May 20, 2018, 10:49 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I first applied for the card in Oct 2017 and it came with a 09/21 expiry date.

Originally Posted by TPloser
When BA used NatWest for BA airmiles ( now Avios) and moved to AMEX Natwest and BA just said the agreement to collect airmiles and vouchers would end on a set date but the visa card would continue to be valid just not collect avios. I still have my Natwest card today I just don't get any avios if I use it. I would suspect Lloyds would just do the same and not terminate the cards.
UK Amex has decided to stop allowing other parties to issue Amex cards so at some point the Amex will go. The Mastercard may remain but it's not worth keeping at 0.25 Avios per £.
Old May 20, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by :D!
The Mastercard may remain but it's not worth keeping at 0.25 Avios per £.
Lloyds recent bought MBNA UK and for no reason i can fathom have proceeded to promptly shut down much of the loyalty / affinity credit card portfolio. This, along with the disappearance of the standalone Avios website and travel scheme, does not bode well for the Lloyds Avios card.
Old May 20, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be

I am afraid you are wrong. You can try to book it, but the price of the flights will remain the same, as if no vouchers are used.
You can not use the voucher for LCY flights.
Booked and used a voucher before! Has it changed?

Edit: T&C's seem to say you can't!
Old May 20, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
Booked and used a voucher before! Has it changed?

Edit: T&C's seem to say you can't!
It's always been in the T&C's for as long as I can remember. The flights still show up in a search for 26k avios.
Old May 20, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
deleted

Last edited by Blueboys999; May 20, 2018 at 8:23 pm Reason: More appropriate on another thread
Old May 21, 2018, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chistery
I've booked it and flown it., so not sure how I can be wrong.
I must apologise if this is the case. I tried to book LCY-AMS recently and it did not work.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be

I must apologise if this is the case. I tried to book LCY-AMS recently and it did not work.
CWLCY is an exception to the rule.
Old May 21, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Ldnn1

The voucher is not actually for an upgrade at all - it’s marketed as such but it’s actually for a discount on a standard reward seat, with the discount being the difference between the normal avios price for that class and the (notional) price of an award seat in the class below for that route.

Thus BA1/2 works fine with the voucher online, despite the T&C.
This is good to know.
Does a voucher booking look like an ordinary avios or 241 booking in MMB once made so that I am able to ring up and change the date for £35?
I'm planning to book BA1 but if the service stops before my flight date I'd like to be able to move it forwards.
Old May 21, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
This is good to know.
Does a voucher booking look like an ordinary avios or 241 booking in MMB once made so that I am able to ring up and change the date for £35?
I'm planning to book BA1 but if the service stops before my flight date I'd like to be able to move it forwards.
While avios.com exists you should probably be making voluntary £35 changes through them rather than BAEC/ba.com (in theory you could also change routes with the same bands). I don't know if you'd be able change between peak/offpeak dates though as that would be a bit messy.

If BA were to cancel your flight, there would be no charge for changing, though there might be limits on the time window they'd offer you for an invol change. Again in theory your agent (avios.com) should handle the change but BA did it recently for me when I had JFK-LGW cancelled. I switched to a JFK-LHR flight but perhaps I could have levered the JSA to switch to an AA flight for novelty: I mention that as it might appeal to you.
Old May 28, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: BAEC
BA1 via Avios.com is 50,000 avios + £371.72 pp
Using a voucher is 26,000 avios + £371.72 pp

Why the extra 1,000 avios?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: British Airways, Hilton
There’s an update on this on financialthreesixfive . Com

I tried to post a link but it seems that as a newbie to this forum I’m not allowed to post a url.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.