Wiki Posts
Search

2 Questions flying LAX-LHR

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2018, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
2 Questions flying LAX-LHR

I am flying out to LAX, and back and have 2 questions for the return flight.

Is there a fast track security at LAX for Golds/Club? TSA precheck (now that BA part of GE)? I recall on previous occasions everyone sent to the same (very long) line.

Which is the best lounge to use at the Tom Bradley terminal? Last time I flew back I went to the lounge I was directed to, and was underwhelmed - food looked as though it had been there most of the day, lounge was noisy and dark. Which lounge is recommended?

thanks!
Old May 19, 2018, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by JJ235

Is there a fast track security at LAX for Golds/Club? TSA precheck (now that BA part of GE)? I recall on previous occasions everyone sent to the same (very long) line.

Which is the best lounge to use at the Tom Bradley terminal? Last time I flew back I went to the lounge I was directed to, and was underwhelmed - food looked as though it had been there most of the day, lounge was noisy and dark. Which lounge is recommended?

thanks!
There are both a fast track and a TSA pre check lanes. Qantas F lounge is best if you are Gold IMHO though many people swear by the new AA Flagship lounge (available through the airside corridor)
Old May 19, 2018, 11:17 am

What lounges can CW travellers use at LAX?
Old May 19, 2018, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Remember if the security lines look hideous in TBIT it’s a short walk to T4 where there’s a choice of normal and Pre Check lines.

I’d only recommend Qantas first lounge - the rest are just OK
Old May 19, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If you only have Business lounge access, the Qantas Business lounge is quite reasonable too. Clearly, go for the QF F lounge if you can.

If you're flying CW you need to have Oneworld Emerald status (eg, BA Gold) to get into the QF F lounge, otherwise, the QF business is the one for you.

I haven't tried any other lounge in TBIT for some time.
Old May 19, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
I would not recommend Flagship Lounge over Qantas lounge. I would recommend Flagship Dining over Qantas Lounge, but that's not available unless you are in F (and possibly not if you are in F in BA, not sure about that).
Tobias-UK and Markie like this.
Old May 19, 2018, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MarkedMan
I would not recommend Flagship Lounge over Qantas lounge. I would recommend Flagship Dining over Qantas Lounge, but that's not available unless you are in F (and possibly not if you are in F in BA, not sure about that).
Flagship First Dining is only available for those in AA Flagship First (internationally or transcon).
Markie likes this.
Old May 19, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
IMO: Qantas First > AA Flagship > Oneworld J Lounge > Admirals Club

So if not an Emerald and travelling in Club World I would use the Flagship Lounge.
ChrisMcP likes this.
Old May 19, 2018, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by orbitmic
There are both a fast track and a TSA pre check lanes. Qantas F lounge is best if you are Gold IMHO though many people swear by the new AA Flagship lounge (available through the airside corridor)
Just to be clear, what is referred to as Fast Track here is simply a priority area (poorly enforced) for all carriers' premium class and most status passengers. Once one reaches the first podium staffed by a TSA Officer, one is sent through the same security screening as all other mere mortals.

Pre-Check is now available to BA passengers, but it is a US government program which one must separately join and is included along with Global Entry. Pre-Check provides for expedited and limited screening.
dougzz likes this.
Old May 19, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Flip42
IMO: Qantas First > AA Flagship > Oneworld J Lounge > Admirals Club

So if not an Emerald and travelling in Club World I would use the Flagship Lounge.
I too agree that LAX AA Flagship is nicer than the Oneworld J lounge. But keep in mind, OP, that there's a walk involved in getting between TBIT and Terminal 4.
Old May 19, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs

LAX is my home airport.

There is a little-known TSA checkpoint in the lower level of TBIT within the TBIT-T4 connector. The checkpoint was designed to serve folks coming off international flights (where they re-check their bags within the Customs area) and connecting to domestic AA flights. Please trust me when I tell you that this checkpoint is the best way to get through TSA security in TBIT. I have seen it with ZERO line. Friends of mine have told me they were one of two in line. (I even recommend it for HBO folks leaving on an AA flight. I tell them to get their ride to drop them at the TBIT Arrivals level.)

1. Check in and drop your bags in the Departures level of TBIT, as usual.
2. Instead of just following the crowd to the massive line for TSA, turn back around towards the street entrance, turn right and go within the building towards T4. You will see an elevator on your left.
3. Take that elevator down to the Arrivals level.
4. Exit the elevator, and turn left. Stay within the building and continue to walk in the direction of T4. Do not go outside.
5. Pass various vendors and restrooms.
6. At the end of the hallway is this unpopulated TSA checkpoint. Go through the checkpoint, then take the escalator up into the TBIT-T4 connector.
7. Off the escalator, turn left for T4 AA Admirals Club/Flagship Lounge and other AA departure gates.
8. Turn right for TBIT lounges and departure gates. You will pass a large window from which you can see the giant line you just avoided.

Please believe me that using this checkpoint even without TSA Pre-Check is faster than schlepping over to the Pre-Check line in T4, assuming you have TSA Pre-Check. If you do not have Pre-Check, this will be absolutely faster than the main TBIT line.

For anyone reading this who plans to arrive in TBIT on an international flight, then connect to AA for a domestic flight:

1. Recheck your bags within the Customs area.
2. Emerge from the Customs area into the Arrivals meeters-and-greeters area.
3. Turn right and, staying within the building, walk towards T4, Do not go outside.
4. You will pass the elevator, restrooms and shops described above, then get to the TSA checkpoint at the end of the hallway.

Also note there is another elevator near the T3 end of TBIT. Use that if more convenient, then just walk parallel to the street as described above.
orbitmic, mikeyfly, THO and 3 others like this.
Old May 19, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by Gig103
I too agree that LAX AA Flagship is nicer than the Oneworld J lounge. But keep in mind, OP, that there's a walk involved in getting between TBIT and Terminal 4.
It's an easy walk for the able-bodied. Slow walkers can flag an electric cart for a lift.

Anyone unfazed by the distances in Heathrow should not have any problems with the TBIT-T4 LAX connector.
crazyarmadillo likes this.
Old May 20, 2018, 2:35 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Easy walk. Takes 6 mins walking from the Qantas f lounge , to the flagship. It's always very quite as well, the walk that is, not the flagship,....

Edit . Add on a couple minutes, if tired etc

I love lax especially being able to transit airside thru t4 tbit and t5 and also as QueenofCoach mentions above the 'secret security channel..'.. Unless of course sometimes they do do use that security as an overflow place when the main security at tbit is busy.

Last edited by crazyarmadillo; May 20, 2018 at 2:51 am
Old Jun 2, 2018, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
LAX is my home airport.

There is a little-known TSA checkpoint in the lower level of TBIT within the TBIT-T4 connector. The checkpoint was designed to serve folks coming off international flights (where they re-check their bags within the Customs area) and connecting to domestic AA flights. Please trust me when I tell you that this checkpoint is the best way to get through TSA security in TBIT. I have seen it with ZERO line. Friends of mine have told me they were one of two in line. (I even recommend it for HBO folks leaving on an AA flight. I tell them to get their ride to drop them at the TBIT Arrivals level.)

1. Check in and drop your bags in the Departures level of TBIT, as usual.
2. Instead of just following the crowd to the massive line for TSA, turn back around towards the street entrance, turn right and go within the building towards T4. You will see an elevator on your left.
3. Take that elevator down to the Arrivals level.
4. Exit the elevator, and turn left. Stay within the building and continue to walk in the direction of T4. Do not go outside.
5. Pass various vendors and restrooms.
6. At the end of the hallway is this unpopulated TSA checkpoint. Go through the checkpoint, then take the escalator up into the TBIT-T4 connector.
7. Off the escalator, turn left for T4 AA Admirals Club/Flagship Lounge and other AA departure gates.
8. Turn right for TBIT lounges and departure gates. You will pass a large window from which you can see the giant line you just avoided.

Please believe me that using this checkpoint even without TSA Pre-Check is faster than schlepping over to the Pre-Check line in T4, assuming you have TSA Pre-Check. If you do not have Pre-Check, this will be absolutely faster than the main TBIT line.

For anyone reading this who plans to arrive in TBIT on an international flight, then connect to AA for a domestic flight:

1. Recheck your bags within the Customs area.
2. Emerge from the Customs area into the Arrivals meeters-and-greeters area.
3. Turn right and, staying within the building, walk towards T4, Do not go outside.
4. You will pass the elevator, restrooms and shops described above, then get to the TSA checkpoint at the end of the hallway.

Also note there is another elevator near the T3 end of TBIT. Use that if more convenient, then just walk parallel to the street as described above.
Thanks for this, I will certainly try this. Also will go to Qantas 1st lounge as that seems to be consensus here. Am I allowed a guest? (Both in Club, one gold)
Old Jun 2, 2018, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Thanks for this, I will certainly try this. Also will go to Qantas 1st lounge as that seems to be consensus here. Am I allowed a guest? (Both in Club, one gold)
Hi,

Yes you are

Regards

TBS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.