BA.com - How many sales do they lose ?

Old May 19, 18, 9:17 am
Original Poster

BA.com - How many sales do they lose ?

Just had a frustrating hour trying to book a flight and car on ba.com. Have now given up.

The new web interface never seems to work for me and it pushes me to the new one. Then it doesn't like the date so I decide its the web browser and leave firefox and go to explorer after 30 mins of wasted effort. But how many prospective customers would just give up.

A little better and eventually get a price for a fly drive. Press select and the price goes up slightly (£12 for 2 people) on the summary page. So I ask for a breakdown using the little icon. It gives a breakdown that is over £300 cheaper because it gives a nice book together and save discount. So the breakdown is useless to find out why the price went up from 1 screen to the next. So you are then faced with the issue that you might be losing lots of discount you are entitled to so do not proceed. If you do proceed you get another screen and if you ask for the breakdown you get a different breakdown yet again.

So you start wondering what should I be paying and is it more than I should. I could phone and probably wait a long time on the phone so eventually I gave up.

I wonder how many get so frustrated they just leave the site and do not book. They really do need to give it more attention.
lhrpete, T8191, florens and 3 others like this.
Old May 19, 18, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA CCR, A3 G, Aclub Plat, Hilton D, IC Plat Amb, Starwood G, blablablah, etc
The new website has been grossly useless. There seems to be a new-new one for me since a couple of days ago which has worked a bit better though.
newyorklondon likes this.
Old May 19, 18, 10:10 am

One would hope that BAís team is keeping a very close eye on the conversation and dropout rates for each stage of the booking process. This is the kind of thing that is dead easy to track, so you can narrow down to where the bug/issue/confusing UI is, and fix it.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old May 19, 18, 10:20 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, IHG Gold, HHonors Silver
Took me forever to do a simple domestic booking earlier. So many pages to go through, pages jumping from the obvious to something 2 steps back and long delays on top of errors.

It still comes across as 2 or 3 different platforms trying to talk different languages to one another, none of whom fully understand what they're saying.
Old May 19, 18, 10:25 am

Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?
I tend to check the fare on OW first as I'm OWE. But if I don't like the price, I'll also check *A where I'm Gold. Since BA migrated to the new website, I've also started doing this if I like the price, but BA.com reports an error at the final stage, which happens very frequently. I've informed them when this caused me to book with another carrier, but it doesn't seem to bother them.
Old May 19, 18, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Sadly, all the recent (12 months?) rinkering with BA.com has conspired to make it severely clunky and unreliable.

I’ve had the advantage of needing to book anything in the short term, but I completely understand the OP’s question. I could imagine a fair number of people just walk away and go somewhere else, muttering “Bloody ba.com” under their breath as we here tend to do all the time
mrow and florens like this.
Old May 19, 18, 2:38 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
Sadly, all the recent (12 months?) rinkering with BA.com has conspired to make it severely clunky and unreliable.

Iíve had the advantage of needing to book anything in the short term, but I completely understand the OPís question. I could imagine a fair number of people just walk away and go somewhere else, muttering ďBloody ba.comĒ under their breath as we here tend to do all the time
there is a report from late 2016 which looked at the online shopping experience of people with disabilities - one of the results was that 71% of respondents who faced accessibility issues on a website will simply leave and find a site that is (more) accessible.
id be surprised if that number was any lower if the survey included those without disabilities, I certainly have low tolerance for poor websites, whether that's UX, UI or accessibility issues (and I'd argue that if you build for accessibility in the first place you'd have fewer UX and UI problems)

that report for anyone interested can be can be found here.

The Click-Away Pound 2016 Report
​​​​​​​
Old May 19, 18, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

It was a very frustrating experience as I was trying to book for my daughter. The problem is you end up not booking because you don't know if the issue is costing you discount so you leave it.
They actually wanted £1444.00 but give this breakdown when asking for breakdown
Old May 19, 18, 2:52 pm

I concur. Iíve made my last few BA bookings on AA.com as BA.com simply didnít work for what I was trying to do. Sometimes if you get far enough into the booking process you seem to stumble across an older platform inside the new website; that it works better than the new platform is just absurd.
Passmethesickbag and volar like this.
Old May 19, 18, 3:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Had a nightmare of a time recently trying to price up flight+hotel packages for a destination where the airport city and the city for the hotel are different. (Trying to fly into DUS but book a hotel in Cologne). This was reasonably easy the last time I tried, on the old site a couple years ago. This time, nearly impossible. I got it to work in the end, although I wouldn't be able to replicate my method.
Old May 19, 18, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Anyone else concur the BA website has actually been rubbish for quite some time now? They need a vast upgrade of their IT systems it seems.
Old May 19, 18, 6:17 pm

Anyone else concur the BA website has actually been rubbish for quite some time now? They need a vast upgrade of their IT systems it seems
What they really need is a vast upgrade of the people who manage and specify the changes to their website.
Old May 19, 18, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TPloser View Post

So you start wondering what should I be paying and is it more than I should. I could phone and probably wait a long time on the phone so eventually I gave up.

I wonder how many get so frustrated they just leave the site and do not book. They really do need to give it more attention.
Could you not have just gone to a travel agency site and booked there ?
Old May 20, 18, 3:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, *G (TK)
I don't know if it's a website issue or else, but I have big issues with routes like BRU/AMS-OTP/SOF
If I search for CE, I get the classic flights display page with the days of the week and each flight available on the day with its price.
If I search for ET, I get the multicity style flights display page for the queried day only, with no prices until the next page, when you already selected the flights.

I wanted a mixed class trip bookable online directly with BA, and I couldn't find a way to have it. So, in the end, I didn't book.
Old May 20, 18, 4:54 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Couldn't agree more with the comments above. ba.com has been pretty useless for a while but the way it seems to flip between the old and new site (it often appears to do this randomly) between pages is atrocious. It makes the company look so unprofessional and poor attention to detail.

I notice it is not even consistent when it comes to payment. Sometimes it is easy as it offers the ability to use a stored payment card so I just have to select it and type in the 3-digit number on the back of my CC to complete the booking. When booking other things though (such as flight + car), that option is not available when it comes to payment and it needs the whole CC number, my address etc entered again.

Also for some reason it wants the Passport details of my GF and daughter entered every single time they fly with BA and all attempts to store this so they don't have to do this every single time just does not work. Mine is fine though,
ppp909 likes this.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: