Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lesson Learned

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2018, 4:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Cymro
Ironically, if you'd done that routing to anywhere but MEL (Brisbane or Sydney, but anywhere on the east coast) you'd have actually beaten your colleague in terms of TPs. It's all very odd, I know!

True. Not just beat it - but by a pretty large margin. And you can still route to MEL.

860 TP’s for LHR-MEL in J is very easily achievable - all on OW carriers, including BA.

This assumes of course that you are willing & happy enough to fly a few more sectors and hours than strictly necessary (although with no requirement to backtrack).
Old May 19, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: BA GGL
For future reference, there’s a (not 100% accurate, but much easier to use than the airline’s) BA tier points and avios calculator here: https://www.owenrudge.net/utils/bacalc/
Old May 19, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
Originally Posted by nheather
I used to fly direct London Gatwick to Orlando and I used to just scrape gold each year. But I wonder how much extra I would have earned had I gone Heathrow > US Hub (like Washington, Charlotte or Philly) > Orlando.
If a single connection, that would be an extra 40 TPs each way, or 80 round trip.

London to Phoenix is a good example (and one which happens to be popular on this forum at the moment) of the variation in TP earnings through various routings.

Assuming all business-class travel, I believe the one-way TP earnings are:
  • LON-PHX is 140
  • LON-CLT-PHX is 180
  • LON-PHL-PHX is 280
  • LON-JFK-LAX-PHX is 320 (and JFK-LAX is a reasonable business-class product)
That's a really wide range to get you between the same places. (And, you can even make this an ex-EU trip to [potentially] save money and get extra TPs.)

And, my experience is that the prices are not directly rated to the TP earnings, so you may spend just a little more [or, sometimes, the same or less] to get many more TPs. If status is important to you, it can be worth doing a little extra research to maximize TPs.

I'm sorry that you learned this through your experience to Australia. It sounds like you would have been happier with a different routing for more than one reason. Hopefully, you will find your time at FT rewarding and find that you are able to quickly achieve your travel aspirations through the tips you gather here.
Old May 19, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
How did you find the Qantas seats, service and food LHR - PER?
Old May 19, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
I want to know more about this BAH routing? LHR-BAH (BA) -HKG-MEL (CX) ?
Old May 19, 2018, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Infinite Possibilities
Assuming all business-class travel, I believe the one-way TP earnings are:
  • LON-PHX is 140
  • LON-CLT-PHX is 180
  • LON-PHL-PHX is 280
  • LON-JFK-LAX-PHX is 320 (and JFK-LAX is a reasonable business-class product)
It seems that you forgot LON-DOH-HKG-SYD-SCL-LAX-PHX...
Old May 19, 2018, 6:11 pm

One thing to remember when flying between UK and OZ is that going all the way on one flight number earns fewer TP than using two different flight numbers. Also, changing flights in SIN earns a few more TP than changing in, say HKG. SIN is just over the boundary that gets you 160 TP rather than 140 TP in CW, whilst LHR-HKG is less than 10 miles short of the magic distance.
Old May 20, 2018, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club
Originally Posted by choosethedrew
How did you find the Qantas seats, service and food LHR - PER?
Apologies for not getting back sooner, I did try yesterday but the system said that I had reached the limit of five posts per day.

Anyway the flight on the Dreamliner to Perth. Comparing this with BA flights to Florida which is about my only other business travel.

The plane is new so everything was shiny and clean, that was very nice. The BA cabins looked a bit tatty by comparison.

The video screen is large, unmarked, good resolution. The BA ones were a lot smaller, poor resolution, often marked, contrast/brightness failing.

The food was pretty much the same. I don't rate airline food even on business flights, I don't like the constant stuffing you with food at unnatural hours and that they start of with a decent cut of beef and by the time it has been cooked and reheated it is ruined. But generally fine, reasonable choice (caveat) no worse or better than BA. The issue I did have was availability - I was in the rearmost business cabin and by the time the crew got to these seats to take orders quite a few of the options were gone leaving no choice. This is the first time I have ever experienced something like this and was unimpressed. It felt like a sub-class system, those in seats to the front got a better service. I did complain and was advised that I should have pre-ordered before flying - was not aware of this option until then - I did this for the return trip and it worked though I noticed that I wasn't offered all the options that were available on the plane.

The seat was much more private than the ones I have used on BA. This was a pretty big personal area. With BA the seats are packed much tighter to the extent that your neighbour has to step over your legs if they need to go to the toilet - usually kicking you just after you have managed to fall asleep.

The seat/bed is much better, more substantial than what I have experienced with BA. It was still a little too short for me - I am a little over 6 foot.

Service was a little indifferent on the way out, better on the way back (so probably down to the crew rather than policy). I felt on the way out the staff kept themselves in the galley and if you wanted something (another drink for example) you have to call them and ask. There wasn't very much evidence of walking the aisles to check that everything was good and whether you needed anything.

The snacks in the galley were lightly stocked and soon ran out.

Drinks seemed to be a little below BA standards - for example, with spirits it was just the normal brand economy range - none of the more upmarket brands. For example, I like a Gin and Tonic and on BA this means Tanqueray Gin and Fever Tree Tonic On Qantas it means Beefeater gin and Schweppes tonic -serviceable, but not as fancy. Worse though is how the mixers are served. On BA you get a mini can so you can mix how you want and it is nice and fresh. With Qantas they mix for you using mixer out of a 2L bottle - so depending on how many flights old it is and how many times it has been opened can be quite flat - as it was in my case.

So I would say that because the Dreamliner is new and better laid out the Qanats flight was better overall than BA flights I have been on. But if the two were to operate on the same plane the BA service would have the edge.

Cheers,

Nigel
Old May 20, 2018, 4:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
On BA you get a mini can so you can mix how you want and it is nice and fresh. With Qantas they mix for you using mixer out of a 2L bottle - so depending on how many flights old it is and how many times it has been opened can be quite flat - as it was in my case.
BA is moving towards cabin crew doing the mixing in the new Club World implementations, albeit using the mixer tins, but you can continue to ask to mix it yourself instead. The large bottles really don't survive long in the air, after an hour or two their fizziness is much weakened, and in the case of tonic water it frankly wrecks the product altogether. Thanks for that report from the 787 service LHR-PER direct, it's an intriguing one for me, somewhere on the list of future ideas. I appreciate it's not as worthwhile in terms of TPs, though if we look at TPs per hour flying/connecting then I'm not sure you are worse off. Maybe a few domestic hops in Club Europe from LGW can help resolve any deficit. And welcome to Flyertalk and the BA forum nheather.
Old May 20, 2018, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club
Pretty resigned to losing my Silver, can't see any way viable to prevent that.

Flying on business is the only way I accumulate decent TPs and that is not a regular part of my job. It all depends on what project I am on, where the customer is and whether customer visits are required. I can go for years on UK based projects or the infrequent short haul to Europe which are on economy under corporate policy anyway.

And then there will come a project (I did one for 4 years) that requires six trips out to the US each year, or the recent one which was a single trip to Australia. So I was on gold for a few years, then dropped down to silver, expecting to lose it but then this Australia trip came along which I thought would secure silver for another year - and it would have done had I not picked the wrong route.

So now I'm on 480 TPs, 120 short. I have an economy flight in June to Greece that will get me 20 and an economy flight to Croatia in August that will get me 25. So 75 short and can't see any way of getting those.

Not a moan, just a statement of fact, but it will hurt BA in the long run. For the last 6 years or so whenever, I have gone on holiday with my wife, we have always paid extra to use BA over cheaper flights. Not because I think BA economy is better (it isn't, pretty much the same) but because we could use the priority check-in, the lounge and the early boarding. I lose all that when I lose silver so there won't be any benefit to paying a premium to use BA for our leisure trips. I doubt BA will care, it's peanuts in the grand scheme, and it's not a threat, just a statement of what will happen.

Cheers,

Nigel
Old May 20, 2018, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flying on business is the only way I accumulate decent TPs and that is not a regular part of my job. It all depends on what project I am on, where the customer is and whether customer visits are required. I can go for years on UK based projects or the infrequent short haul to Europe which are on economy under corporate policy anyway.

And then there will come a project (I did one for 4 years) that requires six trips out to the US each year, or the recent one which was a single trip to Australia. So I was on gold for a few years, then dropped down to silver, expecting to lose it but then this Australia trip came along which I thought would secure silver for another year - and it would have done had I not picked the wrong route.

So now I'm on 480 TPs, 120 short. I have an economy flight in June to Greece that will get me 20 and an economy flight to Croatia in August that will get me 25. So 75 short and can't see any way of getting those.

Not a moan, just a statement of fact, but it will hurt BA in the long run. For the last 6 years or so whenever, I have gone on holiday with my wife, we have always paid extra to use BA over cheaper flights. Not because I think BA economy is better (it isn't, pretty much the same) but because we could use the priority check-in, the lounge and the early boarding. I lose all that when I lose silver so there won't be any benefit to paying a premium to use BA for our leisure trips. I doubt BA will care, it's peanuts in the grand scheme, and it's not a threat, just a statement of what will happen.

Cheers,

Nigel
See whether you can get a reasonably priced upgrade (POUG o AUP) on your greek trip and another on your croatian trip. LHR-ATH in business class would give you 80 TPs each way so if you ugrade one leg, you will only need 40 TPs, which upgrading one leg of your croatian trip would do. It may or may not be worthwhile depending on price but worth checking.
Old May 20, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: BA Silver

Cheers,

Nigel
Time for a weekend in Amsterdam perhaps on CE?
Old May 20, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
[QUOTE=nheather;29773615]So 75 short and can't see any way of getting those./QUOTE]

You should be able to get LGW-GLA in Club Europe for around £110 each way, giving you the 80 TPs that you need.
Old May 20, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: BA Silver
Definitely upgrade your economy flights to business or just book a weekend away and fly business.

There's no way I'd give up if I were 75 short, the marginal cost will be massively outweighed, especially if you're early in your membership year.
Old May 20, 2018, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackcarr
the marginal cost will be massively outweighed
You can't generalise. If you fly BA only very occasionally, it is by no means certain that this would be the case. OTOH, if you are a semi-regular flyer, then that is a different story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.