Search

coffee in hand luggage

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Originally Posted by Krisz
I've done Nespresso capsules without any problem. Security not even pulled my bag for manual check.
Has anyone done this recently?

I don't think the rules have changed, but do they need to be put into a clear plastic bag etc?
We often bring some standard Nespresso capsules when we're in First, and we've had more than our fair share of those recently. No issues at all with security anywhere.
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:17 am

Some of these replies appeal to my eccentric nature...

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
CWS travels with a coffee + tea stash, sugar, water heater and mug in the all-in-one Skypak bag
I use a nominally 110v heating element, from REI in the USA. Because it's a very simple device, with no circuit board electronics, it works perfectly well on 240v, it is just twice as fast as boiling up.
​​​​​​
I am somewhat astounded that you are so well prepared, but having floated around BAEC FT for a while I suppose I shouldn't be c-w-s. Are there that many places you can't find a kettle!?

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
My husband travels with his own coffee, coffee dripper and whatever else he considers necessary for 'his' cup of coffee every flight he takes and he even annoyingly does DIY coffee on long haul flights from time to time. He has had no issues whatsoever except for the envious look from other passengers...
Is BA coffee really that awful nowadays as to necessitate this? Or are other airlines truly dire?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:44 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Globaliser
We often bring some standard Nespresso capsules when we're in First, and we've had more than our fair share of those recently. No issues at all with security anywhere.
Excellent! I've been asked to take a couple of boxes with me, and want to ensure I don't have to check them in.

M
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: AA : BA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

I've never heard of a TSA limit on (dry/solid) coffee.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/frequentl...e-they-allowed
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by squawk
Are there that many places you can't find a kettle!?
Any hotel that would rather sell you a $5 coffee than give you a free one.

Hotels in the UK (and many other places) often have kettles because in the old days failure to offer a kettle wouldn't get you even one star on the various tourist rating schemes. So hotels like the Ritz used to hide a kettle in the back of the closet in some dark corner since though they would cheerfully bring you fresh coffee for "free", nevertheless without the kettle they wouldn't be able to call themselves a five star establishment.
squawk likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by squawk
Is BA coffee really that awful nowadays as to necessitate this?
It's improved recently. It used to be dire, even in Club.

However, the reason he carries his own is that he's super fussy when it comes to coffee. He likes his particular brand of beans from a particular company.

I often give him a dirty look for being such a fusspot over such minor matters as coffee but it's never fixed it.
squawk likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: All the usual suspects
Any hotel that would rather sell you a $5 coffee than give you a free one.

Hotels in the UK (and many other places) often have kettles because in the old days failure to offer a kettle wouldn't get you even one star on the various tourist rating schemes. So hotels like the Ritz used to hide a kettle in the back of the closet in some dark corner since though they would cheerfully bring you fresh coffee for "free", nevertheless without the kettle they wouldn't be able to call themselves a five star establishment.
It seems to be the rule (particularly overseas) that the more expensive the hotel, the less stuff you can find in the room to make life simpler - kettles/coffee machines/irons/ironing boards etc. All predicated I guess on extracting even more money from the punter
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: Qantas, BA gold, SPG gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Customs in some countries will want you to report the coffee as an ag/food product.

Yes, Australia is one such country. I often take 1-2kg of rarer coffee beans into Australia. They have no problems with the coffee being whole beans, but I was advised that ground coffee would have been taken away for lengthy testing.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:01 am

Any hotel that would rather sell you a $5 coffee than give you a free one... Hotels in the UK (and many other places) often have kettles because in the old days failure to offer a kettle wouldn't get you even one star on the various tourist rating schemes
Very fair points.

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
However, the reason he carries his own is that he's super fussy when it comes to coffee. He likes his particular brand of beans from a particular company. I often give him a dirty look for being such a fusspot over such minor matters as coffee but it's never fixed it.
I have a certain degree of sympathy for him, though my obsession isn't quite so extreme. Thankfully there are several really excellent coffee shops here on Tyneside and I have access to a good coffee machine in my usual place of work. Perhaps if I flew more frequently, I too would adopt your husband's techniques
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Any recommendations on a c-w-s approved water heater especially for use in the USA.

I can usually manage hot water from an old fashioned coffee maker to make tea and have been spoilt by some rooms in suite type hotels having kettles on the hob to use but one hotel in Chicago it was nada to a kettle or coffee machine despite being 4 stars!
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Any recommendations on a c-w-s approved water heater especially for use in the USA.

I can usually manage hot water from an old fashioned coffee maker to make tea and have been spoilt by some rooms in suite type hotels having kettles on the hob to use but one hotel in Chicago it was nada to a kettle or coffee machine despite being 4 stars!
Did you ask for one ? Pretty much every US hotel I have stayed in - from Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton downwards - has provided one + mugs on request.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Yes I did! And nada.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:51 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This is the one I have, it's rated 110v / 300w and that works fine at 230v too, it's just a lot faster (under 2 minutes). Though I have in the past bought them from REI in the USA, I have a feeling this one came from a USA hardware store/warehouse outlet. It would have been under $10. I can't see one on the REI website but I suspect if you go into one of their stores you will find them in the camping section. I see there are plenty of 220v Chinese made ones on Amazon and eBay - I can't comment on their suitability but logic suggests they would be ok with 110v too.

UKtravelbear likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
I often bring coffee (beans, not ground) with me, never an issue. The Aeropress and hand grinder often trigger some curiosity and get inspected, but never any issues either.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Virgin Flying Club
Coffee snob here, so when I travel back to see my parents in Ireland I also have some coffee beans from one of my favourite London coffee places in my carry-on. It's never ever been picked up at Heathrow T2 but every time I travel through LCY my bag is pulled aside for further screening. Normally once I unzip the bag the smell of fresh coffee is overpowering and they don't bother to check further!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.