Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

07:55 departure from JFK-LHR in F: catering ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2018, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond

On Sunday 27th, I will be flying JFK-LHR in F on BA 178 departing 07:55.

Is there a thread somewhere with details of the catering I should expect ? Apologies, I have had a look at the pre-order on MMB (not available !) and the various catering topics here but failed to find the answer...

Thanks in advance !
Old May 18, 2018, 8:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Pretty sure it's breakfast, then something light later on from this old thread. See posts 6 and 8 but I'm sure someone will confirm.

BA 178 JFK-LHR F menu anyone?

Also this thread.

What to make of this F menu??

There's a PDF menu in the first post but again not 100% sure if it's still the same.

I've only ever done the 178 in WTP and that was breakfast.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hi, the day flight is my default preference coming back from east coast US since I think it is the best for avoiding jetlag. The menu typically includes an egg dish, a mixed grill (usually containing lamb and fillet steak), a ‘proper’ main course plus a main salad. The benefit of F over CW is that you can of course dine when you like. I like to flip the service round by eating breakfast in the CCR, having a light dish an hour or so after takeoff and then have either the proper main or the mixed grill as my evening meal before landing. That way when I land, I feel adjusted to the right time zone and meal schedule.
Old May 18, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Airlineanorak
I like to flip the service round by eating breakfast in the CCR, having a light dish an hour or so after takeoff and then have either the proper main or the mixed grill as my evening meal before landing. That way when I land, I feel adjusted to the right time zone and meal schedule.
Thank you for the detail. Do they still offer a full afternoon tea in F on this daytime eastbound flight? Taking it next week.
Old May 18, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
No they don’t serve afternoon tea on this flight, before arrival into LHR they serve canapés and a tapas plate with a selection of 4 types plus a plate of 3 pastries.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Have to love BAs menu language for this route: “freshly made scrambled eggs”, “home made canapés”, both of which are somewhat distruthful.
Old May 18, 2018, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Yes, it is one of the nicer ones in F. Brunch usually means a choice of breakfasty or lunchy starters and mains and proper desserts, and tapas plate before landing.
Old May 19, 2018, 6:53 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Yes, it is one of the nicer ones in F. Brunch usually means a choice of breakfasty or lunchy starters and mains and proper desserts, and tapas plate before landing.
sorry but this and other posts are nt quite up to date. The present first meal service is abd has been since March with a few variations:

starter
fruit or salmon
Plus pastry or bread rolls (like CE).

main
english breakfast
asparagus egg dish (though its very small you might need to order another choice too)
A pancake
cold cuts (same as the CE dish). This one normally served with crew apologies

There is no third course

sbout an hour before landing there is a tapas OR mini cake selection. (The menu suggests both but BA under load so reality is OR)

Thats it, so eat well before boarding.

If you need to eat well and departure time is less critical the AA142 has the new J seat and better catering in J.

Old May 19, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by DFB_london
sorry but this and other posts are not quite up to date.
Seriously? CW, I could see, but in F that would be a dramatic change. I have exactly the same approach Airlineanorak described, breakfast on the ground, then either a small plate or nothing after take off and dinner an hour before landing (as much as one can make it up from the available dishes).
Old May 19, 2018, 8:38 am
Suspended

Programs: BA (LTG, GGL, CCR), LH (*G)
Originally Posted by MarkedMan
Seriously? CW, I could see, but in F that would be a dramatic change. I have exactly the same approach Airlineanorak described, breakfast on the ground, then either a small plate or nothing after take off and dinner an hour before landing (as much as one can make it up from the available dishes).
took the 178 last Sunday in F and the catering was pants (as usual)
hugolover likes this.
Old May 19, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by NYLON Boy
took the 178 last Sunday in F and the catering was pants (as usual)
Not doubting the quality judgement, one can like it or hate it; the service as described above sounds like a major downgrade, especially with no proper main courses in the meals and a reduced overall choice both for the early and late meal. For example, you could get a salad starter and a duck main course as part of the food offering the last time I was on one of these flights. Not much solace I am sure if you hate BA food, but that's a different topic.
orbitmic likes this.
Old May 19, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by DFB_london

sorry but this and other posts are nt quite up to date. The present first meal service is abd has been since March with a few variations:

starter
fruit or salmon
Plus pastry or bread rolls (like CE).

main
english breakfast
asparagus egg dish (though its very small you might need to order another choice too)
A pancake
cold cuts (same as the CE dish). This one normally served with crew apologies

There is no third course

sbout an hour before landing there is a tapas OR mini cake selection. (The menu suggests both but BA under load so reality is OR)
Then that is indeed a sudden and radical downgrade from what it was just a few weeks before. It was always a dodgy flight for catering in CW but in F it used to be really well conceived and was still so when I last did it in January so very sad if it has declined that much in the last 3 months.
Old May 19, 2018, 9:02 am

A far cry from the only times I ever bothered to get up for such an early ex-JFK flight, which were Concorde days. The catering was more than respectable, and you'd arrive in time for a proper dinner as well.
Old May 19, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
This was my menu in F on BA238 (the similarly-timed flight out of BOS) last week:

BRUNCH
STARTERS
Chilled fruit juice
An energising fruit smoothie of peach and vanilla
A selection of yoghurts
Warmed breakfast breads and croissants
Fresh seasonal fruit appetiser

or

Seared scallops with carrot and ginger purée, aubergine caviar, Espelette spiced courgette
Spiced butternut squash soup with roasted pumpkin seeds and a light curry oil
Fresh seasonal salad with your choice of creamy pesto dressing or balsamic vinaigrette

MAINS
Traditional mixed grill featuring beef fillet, lamb loin, sausage, Irish bacon, portobello mushroom, grilled tomato and rösti potato
Freshly made scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and toasted English muffin
Orecchiette pasta with pea, tomato fricassée and Parmesan and rocket salad
Warm traditional bacon roll
Main course salad featuring smoked salmon, poached hen’s egg, warm buttered new potatoes and Hollandaise sauce

and

A selection of seasonal fruit

REFRESHMENTS
CANAPÉ
Smoked salmon with pumpernickel and horseradish cream

SNACKS
Antipasti featuring Serrano ham, capicola, traditional hummus and tabbouleh

P TISSERIE
A selection of British cakes

I was so underwhelmed by this choice that I ordered a SPML - when this turned out to be even more underwhelming (omelettes for both the brunch AND the pre-landing meal), I had the soup (delicious) followed by the pasta (ok) for my first meal and the soup (yes, again) followed by a CW pasta for my pre-landing "refreshment". Pretty disappointing overall..
orbitmic and Tobias-UK like this.
Old May 19, 2018, 9:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Then that is indeed a sudden and radical downgrade from what it was just a few weeks before. It was always a dodgy flight for catering in CW but in F it used to be really well conceived and was still so when I last did it in January so very sad if it has declined that much in the last 3 months.
I agree, if that was indeed the menu. I’m not convinced that is the menu. I think the one below is a much more accurate reflection of what is offered and this one matches my experiences.

Originally Posted by JustTheOne
This was my menu in F on BA238 (the similarly-timed flight out of BOS) last week:

BRUNCH
STARTERS
Chilled fruit juice
An energising fruit smoothie of peach and vanilla
A selection of yoghurts
Warmed breakfast breads and croissants
Fresh seasonal fruit appetiser

or

Seared scallops with carrot and ginger purée, aubergine caviar, Espelette spiced courgette
Spiced butternut squash soup with roasted pumpkin seeds and a light curry oil
Fresh seasonal salad with your choice of creamy pesto dressing or balsamic vinaigrette

MAINS
Traditional mixed grill featuring beef fillet, lamb loin, sausage, Irish bacon, portobello mushroom, grilled tomato and rösti potato
Freshly made scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and toasted English muffin
Orecchiette pasta with pea, tomato fricassée and Parmesan and rocket salad
Warm traditional bacon roll
Main course salad featuring smoked salmon, poached hen’s egg, warm buttered new potatoes and Hollandaise sauce

and

A selection of seasonal fruit

REFRESHMENTS
CANAPÉ
Smoked salmon with pumpernickel and horseradish cream

SNACKS
Antipasti featuring Serrano ham, capicola, traditional hummus and tabbouleh

P TISSERIE
A selection of British cakes

I was so underwhelmed by this choice that I ordered a SPML - when this turned out to be even more underwhelming (omelettes for both the brunch AND the pre-landing meal), I had the soup (delicious) followed by the pasta (ok) for my first meal and the soup (yes, again) followed by a CW pasta for my pre-landing "refreshment". Pretty disappointing overall..
Whilst I normally enjoy the soups served on BA, I am not a fan of this particular offering.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.