Avios Upgrade Voucher

Old May 22, 2018, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, A3
I have now been trying to find flights where I can use the voucher. I thought that all I had to do was find Club Class that was available and select to use the voucher. I am confident that I read a seat in the lower class doesn't have to be available.
It seems that it's not so easy.
Off I go to avios.com. Even though there are plenty of return flights BHD-LHR-DXB January 2018, and there are Club Class seats (and Economy seats) available, nothing is highlighted in Green (as the message asks me to click on). It looks like the Premium Economy (WT+) seats aren't available to book with Avios - so there's no WT+ to upgrade from.
Have I got this wrong? Is this a ba or Avios query?
Old May 22, 2018, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Stormbel
I have now been trying to find flights where I can use the voucher. I thought that all I had to do was find Club Class that was available and select to use the voucher. I am confident that I read a seat in the lower class doesn't have to be available.
It seems that it's not so easy.
Off I go to avios.com. Even though there are plenty of return flights BHD-LHR-DXB January 2018, and there are Club Class seats (and Economy seats) available, nothing is highlighted in Green (as the message asks me to click on). It looks like the Premium Economy (WT+) seats aren't available to book with Avios - so there's no WT+ to upgrade from.
Have I got this wrong? Is this a ba or Avios query?
It's because you can't book connecting flights online using the voucher - you have to call up to do it. Nothing to do with availability in the lower class.
Old May 22, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
In a similar position reference avios not being credited. I phoned up a few days ago (before seeing this thread) and they explained it was ok and would be sorted out (although may take 6 months). I was happy with that.....

HOWEVER, reading up thread that people have been getting £150-200 compensation is pretty infuriating as I was pretty understanding of the situation on the phone but they didn't offer anything at all. I'm minded to ring back on this as it strikes of double standards.

Also, slightly worried on having 2 Exec Club accounts given I presumably need to keep the Avios account so the voucher and avios can be applied correctly - is there a way of telling them to link with a specific Exec Club account?
Old May 22, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
deleted

Last edited by Blueboys999; May 22, 2018 at 9:26 pm
Old May 22, 2018, 9:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by gliderpilot
In a similar position reference avios not being credited. I phoned up a few days ago (before seeing this thread) and they explained it was ok and would be sorted out (although may take 6 months). I was happy with that.....

HOWEVER, reading up thread that people have been getting £150-200 compensation is pretty infuriating as I was pretty understanding of the situation on the phone but they didn't offer anything at all. I'm minded to ring back on this as it strikes of double standards.
I do understand your annoyance but if you were happy to wait 6 months then on what basis would they compensate you?

My understanding of their position is that it would cost them much more than the amounts they have been paying out to complainants if those complainants took a more formal route. They certainly aren't interested in throwing sums of money at those who give them no indication of an intention to do that.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:31 pm

Also, slightly worried on having 2 Exec Club accounts given I presumably need to keep the Avios account so the voucher and avios can be applied correctly - is there a way of telling them to link with a specific Exec Club account?
Why would they offer to give you £200 if you're happy? They compensate people who complain.

They'll try and match it to your existing BA account. If they can't I imagine there'll be a way to either combine BA duplicates or provide details of your existing account closer to the time.
Old May 24, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by callum9999
Why would they offer to give you £200 if you're happy? They compensate people who complain.

They'll try and match it to your existing BA account. If they can't I imagine there'll be a way to either combine BA duplicates or provide details of your existing account closer to the time.
Well I've complained now!!! They are processing it and shall see what happens. It's probably a little bit of naivety (or maybe me just wanting the world to be just and fair*) but it would be a nicer world if all those equally affected were equally compensated rather than just those who shout loudest...

Thanks for the info on matching it to the BA account, puts my mind at rest.

* Yes, I know the world is a cruel and unfair place.
Old May 28, 2018, 3:18 am

Programs: BAEC
What is the best value redemption most people find using these vouchers? I have two so am contemplating using them both on the same trip to Beirut. Can you even use two vouchers on the same booking?
Old May 28, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
Talking

Originally Posted by omarlc
What is the best value redemption most people find using these vouchers? I have two so am contemplating using them both on the same trip to Beirut. Can you even use two vouchers on the same booking?
How do you get two? Isn’t it one a year with an expiry of one year, meaning only one at any one time? My voucher always arrives on card anniversary regardless of hitting the spend months earlier.
Old May 28, 2018, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by dougzz

How do you get two? Isn’t it one a year with an expiry of one year, meaning only one at any one time? My voucher always arrives on card anniversary regardless of hitting the spend months earlier.
I had one towards the back end of a year and then triggered the second relatively early into the next year. The vouchers posted as soon as I hit the spend thresholds but the target only started again once the new year started.
Old May 30, 2018, 4:34 am

Bit of an update, request for help

As noted, I am currently in posession of two Lloyds vouchers one of which I need to use by the end of June. I have enough avios points and about 80k amex points and am trying to find the most effective way of combining the two vouchers (for a return trip with the wife) with a trip to the Maldives and Sri Lanka. Getting between the two is easy but getting to/from the Maldives and Colombo in a cost effective manner without jumping multiple planes is somewhat more difficult. Note BA do not fly direct to SL ands there’s obviously no availability to Male (looking at early Dec)

My options to get to Male are via either Dubai, Colombo, KL, Singapore, Hong Kong.

We could use the voucher to round trip to Dubai. Then use Emirates from Dubai – Male – Colombo – Dubai. However that’s a lot of additional flying and interchanging. Plus economy ticket is £600 pp.

Alternatively, voucher to Mumbai and back, fly Mumbai-Colombo-Male-Colombo-Male – but feels a bit long winded.

any other suggestions would be helpful..
Old May 30, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
I imagine these vouchers will become standard BA e-vouchers(which can redeemed online) when the migration is finally complete, just as 241 and GUFs are? Surely all the faffing about calling a specific number will be a last resort.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: BA Blue, Avios, Accor Basic, IHG Gold
As far as I can tell so far, as I have an Aer Club account linked to my Avios account, nothing is actually changing for me except that apparently my Lloyds Avios points will go to BA Exec Club (you can imagine I'm watching that like a hawk - they went to Avios this month). Apparently I will retain access to Avios.com because of my Aer Club membership (even though I've never earned anything through AerC).

As they said they'd only start transitioning accounts on 22nd May and haven't given people actual dates, it's very difficult to know when to start working out what's what!

One thing does intrigue me..... I wonder if the driver for Lloyds halting new Avios Duo accounts was the retirement of the 'Avios' portal (even though it'll apparently still be there), or the Amex licencing issue. I know Amex were revoking licences as they came due, but I wonder if it was actually the Avios change that prompted it.
Old May 30, 2018, 12:17 pm

Well I've complained now!!! They are processing it and shall see what happens. It's probably a little bit of naivety (or maybe me just wanting the world to be just and fair*) but it would be a nicer world if all those equally affected were equally compensated rather than just those who shout loudest...

Thanks for the info on matching it to the BA account, puts my mind at rest.

* Yes, I know the world is a cruel and unfair place.
well the complaint was handled very well. They’ve posted my voucher, missing Avios and £150 compensation. Much happier.
Blueboys999 and ringingup like this.
Old May 31, 2018, 12:34 am

I had one towards the back end of a year and then triggered the second relatively early into the next year. The vouchers posted as soon as I hit the spend thresholds but the target only started again once the new year started.
As well as this, I cancelled a booking that had a flight cancellation in it - meaning I was entitled to a full refund including voucher. They issued a new one with a 1 year expiry from that date.

My best value redemption has been Hong Kong to London (stopover) London to Santiago, Chile. It's all in Club World, and I also add in a flight from BIO-LHR to get the APD to drop off. The first time I booked this it was very easy, second time was a nightmare with several people insisting it's not possible until a manager overruled them (despite also initially saying it's not possible!). Total price was 88,500 Avios + £165 (the voucher knocking off 78,000 miles - a pretty good return!).
haroon145 and Ldnn1 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.