Blocked Seats Question

Old May 18, 18, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
Blocked Seats Question

QQ re: blocked seats - if there are multiple ‘free’ seats showing in CE but they are blocked on Expertflyer does that mean they won’t have any for sale at check in or would they remove a block to sell a seat?
Old May 18, 18, 4:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
How far out from departure are you?

If you can select a seat, that should be all that matters.

If you're asking more generally:

- A few days before travel, many seats are blocked due to preliminary seating assignments - even though the passenger hasn't yet selected a seat. So no, they won't SELL the seat but they will allocate it to an already-sold booking.
- While it's less useful in Club, theoretical seating will kick in and you get seats showing as blocked in EF from 72 hours before travel, but golds (at least) can still select those seats and they absolutely will remove that block for anyone they need to.
- Row 1 also shows as blocked but is always available for golds to select (unless occupied of course!)
Old May 18, 18, 4:54 am

Programs: BA (GOLD), VS
Theoretical Seating master thread: Blocked seats and status
Old May 18, 18, 4:54 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Chris9642 View Post
QQ re: blocked seats - if there are multiple ‘free’ seats showing in CE but they are blocked on Expertflyer does that mean they won’t have any for sale at check in or would they remove a block to sell a seat?
Do you mean as in buy an Airport Upgrade to CE?

In my experience, yes, they will(*) sell you it and remove the block. I've done this in the past at LHR upgrading a flight back to EDI. Oddly, in the end I was only one in the cabin who ended up with a block...

*Caveat - depending on the number of crew allocated to CE, they may decline to. I can't recall the numbers but there is a point where they need to allocate another member so if selling you the AUP tips the cabin over that number they will likely decline.

EDIT: Or are you talking about paying for a seat assignment for an existing booking, and you are looking to pay for one of the blocked seats?

Last edited by BertieBadger; May 18, 18 at 4:57 am Reason: Question