Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Marriage proposal on the upper deck of a 747 - where else?

Marriage proposal on the upper deck of a 747 - where else?

Reply

Old May 18, 18, 2:54 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: London
Posts: 1,463
Marriage proposal on the upper deck of a 747 - where else?

One of my friends has just proposed on the upper deck of a 747. They took off from LHR as boyfriends and landed at the other end as fiancées

The crew made the trip extra-special for them too. I'm so happy for them! I suspect a few BAEC FTers will also appreciate the 'beauty' of the location. I mean, what better place?! For a bit of fun, could you think of another location (relevant to this forum) that would beat it? i.e. BA aircraft, airports, lounges, etc. From their pictures they were in 62AB so I guess they could have improved it by proposing in 64A or K

Happy Friday everyone.
London_traveller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 18, 3:02 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Berlin
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 507
Originally Posted by London_traveller View Post
One of my friends has just proposed on the upper deck of a 747. They took off from LHR as boyfriends and landed at the other end as fiancées

The crew made the trip extra-special for them too. I'm so happy for them! I suspect a few BAEC FTers will also appreciate the 'beauty' of the location. I mean, what better place?! For a bit of fun, could you think of another location (relevant to this forum) that would beat it? i.e. BA aircraft, airports, lounges, etc. From their pictures they were in 62AB so I guess they could have improved it by proposing in 64A or K

Happy Friday everyone.
Call me grumpy, but ostentatiously public proposals of marriage make me feel physically sick.

However, and obviously, I wish your friends well.
Misco60 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 18, 3:04 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Glos
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 3,803
GRUMPY!
Mountlodge likes this.
mikeyfly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 18, 3:06 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 303
Proposal in a metal tube on cramped public transport is not my idea of heaven. But whatever floats your boat I suppose! (Or lifts your wing).
cupsandsaucers is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 18, 3:07 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 11,802
Ahh... Very nice...

Wish them a long and happy life together.

Not jealous at all.
Cris L, dcmike, Dan72 and 8 others like this.
BingBongBoy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 18, 3:09 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: UK
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 4,587
How wonderful. All the very best to the happy couple
Flexible preferences is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 18, 3:10 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ipswich
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 6,685
Originally Posted by London_traveller View Post
They took off from LHR as boyfriends and landed at the other end as fiancées
Yikes, sounds like they both got a bit more (or rather a bit less!) than they bargained for

Congratulations to both.
windowontheAside is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 18, 3:17 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Posts: 367
Originally Posted by windowontheAside View Post
Yikes, sounds like they both got a bit more (or rather a bit less!) than they bargained for

Congratulations to both.
Well said! I spotted that too but was too afraid to point it out.
WickedStepMother is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 18, 3:25 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Thames Valley
Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Posts: 834
Originally Posted by Misco60 View Post
Call me grumpy, but [...]
You're grumpy! ;-)

Originally Posted by Misco60 View Post
[...] ostentatiously public proposals of marriage make me feel physically sick.
The OP didn't mention anywhere that they proposed ostentatiously. A pair of CW seats could actually make quite an intimate setting for such a proposal, especially with engine noises preventing anyone else from hearing anything. They may then have told the crew, quietly, in their delight, who may have then made the aforementioned fuss of them, again without disturbing anyone else in the cabin. Just saying...
DrBernardo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 18, 3:26 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somerset/Dorset/Wiltshire borders, England [home].
Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Posts: 5,916
Originally Posted by London_traveller View Post
From their pictures they were in 62AB so I guess they could have improved it by proposing in 64A or K
I’m not sure the passengers in 64B and/or 64J would agree with you.
Passmethesickbag likes this.
Phil the Flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 18, 3:32 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: BA, Hilton
Posts: 464
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer View Post


I’m not sure the passengers in 64B and/or 64J would agree with you.
Since they were in an AB pair I think we can perhaps take the OP's quote as a shorthand way of writing 64AB or 64JK. I presume it was just an oblique tip to the old 62 vs 64 debate.

Best wishes to the couple.

And since no-one has suggested alternative locations, how about the final row of a densified A320 - as a way of signifying how close they hope to be
BertieBadger is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 18, 3:34 am
  #12  
gms
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: South East, UK
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,939
Originally Posted by London_traveller View Post
For a bit of fun, could you think of another location (relevant to this forum) that would beat it?
I will join the grumpy brigade and say "anywhere else"! Surely there must be somewhere at their destination that would make the act more personal? They might as well have done it on the no. 7 bus or the tube!
mrow, orlando flyer and rossmacd like this.
gms is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 18, 3:45 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: a £30 taxi to LHR
Programs: BA Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 483
Congrats! I once had visions of recreating the scene from the Wedding Singer to propose to Mrs LavaJava. It was deemed a bit too corny in the end and went with something a lot more private.
London_traveller and wrp96 like this.
lavajava is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 18, 3:55 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sydney Australia
Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Posts: 10,240
Originally Posted by lavajava View Post
Congrats! I once had visions of recreating the scene from the Wedding Singer to propose to Mrs LavaJava. It was deemed a bit too corny in the end and went with something a lot more private.
I wanna grow old with you
wrp96 and lavajava like this.
Annalisa12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 18, 4:39 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 74
Public proposals make it very difficult to say no. But I do wonder, what if the one being proposed had said no. Depending on how long the flight is, they would have to seat next to each other for that duration, same hotel room possibly at their destination and return flight back ! Yikes !
SK, flygirl68, orbitmic and 4 others like this.
JamesKidd is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread