Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever actual made Silver with 50 flights and not 600TP?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone ever actual made Silver with 50 flights and not 600TP?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Not 50 flights, but last year I made Gold - only from ET flights (10TPs a time, sometimes 20TPs if I was lucky, and occasionally 5 TPs when I wasn't).

Now, if we were on a model where status was based on spend, I'd be CCR. LHR-CPH/ZRH return even in ET is not cheap when booked last minute.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), IHG Rewards (Gold Elite), Marriot (Gold Elite), HHonors (Gold Elite), SPG (Gold)
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
But in fairness WorldLux clearly qualified their statement with a "not necessarily"

So while you are clearly profitable to BA, could the same be said of someone weekly commuting e.g. ABZ - LHR and paying less than Ł75 for a return ticket in ET? I have difficulty seeing how they could be "extremely profitable"
Of course you are correct to say that you can get very cheap flights on the ABZ-LHR route, and on my personal travel I do (and also get excellent value for CE) and likely for weekly travellers it’s possible, but the route scores for BA by being able to charge a premium even on discounted economy closer to the time, even through the downturn in O&G. With LH pulled out of ABZ now and KLM tendency to cancel last minute leaving AF, the shear number of daily BA flights to ABZ shows it’s a very profitable route and even the Ł75 fares are a part of that.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by duncgor

Of course you are correct to say that you can get very cheap flights on the ABZ-LHR route, and on my personal travel I do (and also get excellent value for CE) and likely for weekly travellers it’s possible, but the route scores for BA by being able to charge a premium even on discounted economy closer to the time, even through the downturn in O&G. With LH pulled out of ABZ now and KLM tendency to cancel last minute leaving AF, the shear number of daily BA flights to ABZ shows it’s a very profitable route and even the Ł75 fares are a part of that.
Thanks for the info. It was a somewhat arbitrary route selection, more to illustrate the possibility of cheap fares as per the original point. I don't doubt (even with the downturn in O&G) it remains a profitable route for BA, and nor do I doubt BA are still making some small profit on a Ł75 fare. The point that I believe WorldLux was making is that while such fares may certainly be available on a profitable route, it is highly doubtful that such an individual customer could be said to be "extremely profitable" even if the route was. At the lowest end of the fare spectrum a decent raid on the Lounge could wipe it out, especially now the Silvers are back in

PS, enjoy your upgrade per the other thread. Fingers crossed for another beep at the gate
Old May 18, 2018, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Jordan D
<snip>
Now, if we were on a model where status was based on spend, I'd be CCR. LHR-CPH/ZRH return even in ET is not cheap when booked last minute.
“Spend based” generates another debate, of course. Whose spend? The Employer, or the individual? For fairness, surely the individual’s BAEC member’s spend should count, not the small change from a Corporate’s coffers.

So, as with the TP debate, there’s a bit of disparity between (shall I say?) three different groups: tickets bought by employer, or bought by independent contractor to be charged to Client, or just bought by individuals for leisure travel. Go ‘cash based’, on a fair system, and a lot of business pax will lose out, as will leisure pax, leaving only the small business owner/contractor in Gold.

Indeed, Leisure pax like us, spending c. Ł7k-10k p/a, would be out of the game altogether ... and thus have no ‘status’ reason to fly BA at all.
duncgor likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), IHG Rewards (Gold Elite), Marriot (Gold Elite), HHonors (Gold Elite), SPG (Gold)
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Thanks for the info. It was a somewhat arbitrary route selection, more to illustrate the possibility of cheap fares as per the original point. I don't doubt (even with the downturn in O&G) it remains a profitable route for BA, and nor do I doubt BA are still making some small profit on a Ł75 fare. The point that I believe WorldLux was making is that while such fares may certainly be available on a profitable route, it is highly doubtful that such an individual customer could be said to be "extremely profitable" even if the route was. At the lowest end of the fare spectrum a decent raid on the Lounge could wipe it out, especially now the Silvers are back in

PS, enjoy your upgrade per the other thread. Fingers crossed for another beep at the gate
yes I totally get your point, I suppose it all comes down to how BA “Value” their customers, its not all down to revenue imo. Yes they like the big profitable long haulers, and have a reliance on corporate fares, but the regular flying discounted Y traveller also offers them value too, particularly if regular routings. They help provide a baseline of predictable flight loading, and while not maybe the most profitable will offer regular predictable cashflow to BA (and if a company doesn’t have cashflow it can make as much “profit” on the books as it wants but still go bust). So there are a number of ways that people can be valuable to BA now just how much profit they generate.
Old May 18, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by duncgor

yes I totally get your point, I suppose it all comes down to how BA “Value” their customers, its not all down to revenue imo. Yes they like the big profitable long haulers, and have a reliance on corporate fares, but the regular flying discounted Y traveller also offers them value too, particularly if regular routings. They help provide a baseline of predictable flight loading, and while not maybe the most profitable will offer regular predictable cashflow to BA (and if a company doesn’t have cashflow it can make as much “profit” on the books as it wants but still go bust). So there are a number of ways that people can be valuable to BA now just how much profit they generate.
Yes, all fair comment I would think ^ A 50 flight Silver on cheap fares might not directly generate much profit but could still have value to BA per your examples (reflected in the award of Silver status). I suppose we are heading to the territory of the much-discussed (and much over-thought?) CIV indexes that BA use?
duncgor likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
I've always wondered when I see. 600TP's or 50 flights on BA metal.
Got me thinking.... Has anyone ever made Silver through 50 flights while NOT making 600TP's? I just can't imagine it's possible? Even only flying Y.
Be interested if anyone has ever done it this way.
Yes, I qualify for Silver this way every year. Usually around the 450 TP mark by the time I hit 50 flights, and take about 70 shorthall ET flights a year. For this year, currently on 265 points after 29 flights.
Old May 18, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
I've always wondered when I see. 600TP's or 50 flights on BA metal.
Got me thinking.... Has anyone ever made Silver through 50 flights while NOT making 600TP's?
I think monkeyclassdonkey123 qualifies in that manner as his work only pays for HBO ET, and his flights are all LHR-ARN

Last edited by ExpatExp; May 19, 2018 at 4:35 am
Old May 18, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: Big Steak Pub Gold Card (sadly defunct)
I made silver once many moons ago purely on 15 or 25 ( cant remember exactly) domestics. Not sure if they still do that but i would be surprised if they do...
Old May 18, 2018, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by nozmeister
I made silver once many moons ago purely on 15 or 25 ( cant remember exactly) domestics. Not sure if they still do that but i would be surprised if they do...
It's been enhanced to 50
Old May 18, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
It's been enhanced to 50
Most people think in number of trips rather than number of segments. So 25 trips is correct!
Old May 18, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: BA GFL. AA EXP. Amex Plat. Mucci.
Equally, I would say that is someone is making 50 flights a year (that is 1 every week of the year!) I would say they deserve gold to be honest. But that's BA's call.
Always remember that EC qualification is generally based on your value to BA. I take 50+ longhaul flights per year, and for this I spend A LOT more with the airline then someone flying 50 shorthaul flights, which is why I am Gold. It's nice that BA rewards EC members with silver status after 50 sectors, but flying 50 Longhaul sectors is an entirely different financial proposition and rewarded accordingly.
Old May 18, 2018, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Takiteasy

Most people think in number of trips rather than number of segments. So 25 trips is correct!
Do they? He/She didn't say trips. They said 15 or 25 domestics. I read that as flights.
Old May 18, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
5 holidays!? Christ I've had 2 holidays in the last 5 years!
On this board the 5 annual holidays that @T8191 has is really not unusual. We are on number 3 this month, different continent each time, will have done 5 or 6 for me and 6 or 7 for mrs firstlight by the end of the year. Two Amex companion vouchers a year certainly helps...
T8191 likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by firstlight
On this board the 5 annual holidays that @T8191 has is really not unusual. We are on number 3 this month, different continent each time, will have done 5 or 6 for me and 6 or 7 for mrs firstlight by the end of the year. Two Amex companion vouchers a year certainly helps...
Ah well, alright for some I guess. I'm working most of the time and find little time for a holiday. The joys of part-owning your own business I guess.
On the flip side, I do plan to retire before I am 40 and fly only F from then onwards. Take each day at a time.
ExpatExp likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.