Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drunken pax at LCY

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 9:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by DrBernardo
This seems fully in line with the trend of people (of all or no genders and/nationalities) looking to be offended by anything and everything, which just diminishes those cases where actual outrage would be in order.
Those my father always referred to as 'serial offendeds'.
Old May 17, 2018, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I witnessed something very similar at LHR prior to a flight to NCE.

The passenger was very wobbly, slurring her words, and approached the boarding gate before any sort of announcements had been made.

The gate staff engaged in some sort of conversation with the lady, and must have told her that her carry-on was too big, because she then screamed loudly, shrieked, slammed the case down onto the ground, and headed towards me (I was sat to the side of the gate finishing a phone call).

She sat one seat away from me, and as my call ended, she burst into tears. I offered her a tissue, at which point one of the gate agents came over and told the lady that she might be denied boarding due to her drunkedness, and suggested she goes for a walk.

I'm still not sure why I did it, but I decided I'd go for a walk with the lady. I told the gate staff that I'd be back just before boarding, but to not close the gate if we were a few seconds late (thinking if this lady vomited, it might take a little while to tidy her up!).

To cut a longer story short, her Father had died the week before the flight, and she was going down to NCE to see the body before burial. She was understandably distraught, and had started drinking early that morning.

We got back to the gate on-time, and I explained to the crew that the passenger was in a fragile condition. They upgraded her to CE, put her by herself one row behind me, and she fell asleep before we took off.

She was much better when we landed, but it made me realise that not all situations are as clear as they may appear.

M
How very kind! Thank you for sharing your story. I hope that if I am ever in such an unfortunate situation, I may also find myself next to a very kind stranger.
lostinlondon likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 11:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
To cut a longer story short, her Father had died the week before the flight, and she was going down to NCE to see the body before burial. She was understandably distraught, and had started drinking early that morning.
This was on my mind re original post. Dealing with a group that has overdone it as a part of some lifestyle event is very different to dealing with someone having some form of crisis. It's not ideal, but I'd like to think the relevant airline would reaccomodate the passenger on a later flight on the condition that they come back sober.
Old May 17, 2018, 11:40 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer

The nationality was as it was. i personally would assume a Chinese of a Japanese would have behaved him/herself differently. Besides that she tried to impress by shouting the fact that she was a US lawyer and showing everybody her US passport....
More stereotyping ?

Originally Posted by mapleg
I think you just wanted to deliberately stereotype the passenger by mentioning nationality.
+1
Old May 18, 2018, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by HMPS
More stereotyping ?

+1
Quite. A Chinese person and a Japanese person can be just as obnoxious as anyone else when drunk.
flygirl68 and orbitmic like this.

Last edited by DragonSoul; May 18, 2018 at 12:09 am
Old May 18, 2018, 12:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by PETER01
People like that should get their status removed by BA and their membership terminated, assuming they are in the BAEC. Staff have a right to go to work without the fear of being assaulted and she sounded lucky she was not arrested and locked up until sober to appear in front of a Judge.
The lady clearly has a serious problem - if that is an addiction problem or a stroke as suggested further down thread doesn't matter. I don't think revoking her BAEC account is going to do much for her (or anyone else) - what an unkind thing to say!
Old May 18, 2018, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by mapleg
I think you just wanted to deliberately stereotype the passenger by mentioning nationality.
I could have written that being intoxicated her behaviour fulfilled the well-known stereotype of the classic "Ugly American" by the book as it is described inter alia on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugly_American_(pejorative)

This however was the stereotype I deliberately avoided to avoid any pejorative statements. My intent was not to classify anybody but to describe the scene I watched and restrict myself to the largest extent possible to facts. That she was US American, whether you like it or not, was more than obvious as she showed everybody her brand new US passport (and I know her name, which I did not put into the story) and her accent (not to say the language) was again even for a non-natiive speaker so obviously connected to a certain state or region (which I avoided to mention too). And the behaviour was indeed totally different from the drunken Germans, English, Danish or Chinese, just to mention a few, I know very well. This, however, is my personal opinion and this is certainly covered by the First Amendment whether somebody likes it or not.
Old May 18, 2018, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by DragonSoul
Quite. A Chinese person and a Japanese person can be just as obnoxious as anyone else when drunk.
Everybody can be obnoxious when drunk, even myself (what has happened 40 years ago). But the way of obnoxious behaviour differs.
Old May 18, 2018, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
This, however, is my personal opinion and this is certainly covered by the First Amendment whether somebody likes it or not.
If you think that the 1st Amendment has any relevance to your being allowed to post on a privately owned internet message board, you may not be a very good lawyer.
CrazyJ82 likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 1:06 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by richi
I suspect OP means "not Canadian"
Us Canucks are very different indeed... there is a reason why the Americans put Canadian flags on their backpacks when they go travelling abroad :-)
richi likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 1:46 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by Fitch
I have extended family in Ireland and unfortunately in a couple of cases, relatives have succumbed to alcoholism.

By the brief account the OP gave, it's possible she is a well person who was behaving badly but her actions more suggest to me (from personal experience) someone whose world is coming apart due to the booze. When you get to the point of fighting with uniformed staff at an airport, you're a long way from shore and night is falling
What does that mean?
Old May 18, 2018, 1:52 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
How very kind! Thank you for sharing your story. I hope that if I am ever in such an unfortunate situation, I may also find myself next to a very kind stranger.
I was sitting in a tiny, cramped departure gate at LTN when I found out my mum had died (not unexpected but I was flying to try and be there with her at the end and mis-timed it by half a day having had to guess when was best to travel).

And while I took it pretty calmly, I have to say sitting alone in that tiny 737 on the way up to PIK was possibly one of the longest hours of my life. I quite deliberately didn't have a drink until I was back landside in Glasgow specifically because I didn't want to have any chance of such a situation.

I doubt the person sitting next to me even quite realised what was going on, over and above the fact that the guy in the window seat was probably visibly a bit upset. But goes to show you never quite know the full story of the passenger next to you and the poster above did a noble thing in my book. Chapeau.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 1:59 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
As a number of readers have pointed out to the mods, this isn’t one of FTs finest threads, and since there’s no relevance to BA, we’ll close it now.

The mod team

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.