Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Latam Premium Business Z-fare No Longer Eligible for TPs/Avios?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver

Thinking of booking BOG-GRU (or BOG-SCL-GRU for additional points) in Premium Business as the difference is not so big on my dates ($250 more each way). These book into Z-class.

Now, they used to accrue 140 TPs on BA, but since Latam Chile and Brazil merged their booking systems, Class Z seems to have fallen off the eligible accrue fares (per BA's website). It's a normal revenue class, so any ideas if this is a fluke or it's viewed as a deeply discounted J product which should not accrue? Confusingly, it shows Z still accrues under TAM (but not Latam).

Who should I contact at BAEC to clarify?

Full TPs prior to May 11

No TPs after May 11
Old May 17, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I believe its a deliberate change. I was looking at this last week for Frankfurt to Madrid
Old May 17, 2018, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
It does look like it. What's weird is that BA award tickets in coach book into P-class on Latam, which earns TPs per Premium Economy. So for once that I'm willing to splurge on J I don't get any.
Old May 17, 2018, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I wonder if this has to do with TAM coming from Star Alliance where Z is discounted business, and LAN from OneWorld where Z is award first class. As they harmonize booking classes, Z will stop being a revenue booking class, and BA is just a bit early on the trigger?
Old May 17, 2018, 6:28 pm

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by RafKa
It does look like it. What's weird is that BA award tickets in coach book into P-class on Latam, which earns TPs per Premium Economy. So for once that I'm willing to splurge on J I don't get any.

How certain are you on this? all the tickets I have on LAN on award tickets are all showing as T class for economy on Latam, Has this also changed?
Old May 17, 2018, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cgtechuk
How certain are you on this? all the tickets I have on LAN on award tickets are all showing as T class for economy on Latam, Has this also changed?
100%. That’s what they booked into in the past (as I consistently got 100 TPs for AKL-SCL in coach on at least rtn trips over the last 2-3 years) but perhaps it’s changed over the last 6 months? I currently have a few active BA award bookings on Latam but I don’t know where to check the booking class?
Old May 17, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
This is really annoying and I hope an error on the part of BA similar to when R class fares on QR were tagged as ineligible for TPs and Avios. They later fixed the chart. I made several Latam bookings last month that fall into the Z bucket but I won't be flying them until the end of the year. If I had thought BA was going to pull a stunt like this I would have booked with Avianca and topped up my Star Alliance balance instead.

Bob
Old May 17, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Sounds similar to what I experienced earlier in the year on a BA ticket via KUL in I-class with an onward MH connection. Apparently I-class on MH is not eligible for even reduced TPs/Avios, whereas even a discounted economy ticket will be! Quite disappointing - surely even a discounted business class fare should earn more than the cheapest eligible Economy given the price tag.
Old May 17, 2018, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Sounds similar to what I experienced earlier in the year on a BA ticket via KUL in I-class with an onward MH connection. Apparently I-class on MH is not eligible for even reduced TPs/Avios, whereas even a discounted economy ticket will be! Quite disappointing - surely even a discounted business class fare should earn more than the cheapest eligible Economy given the price tag.
MH I fares have been an issue on many OW programs for a long while now. If you bid for an upgrade on MH it reissues in I (or used to) which then makes earnings zero.
Old May 18, 2018, 3:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond

I got Z avios and tier points from flights last week. Even bigger shocker.. they posted automatically!
Old May 18, 2018, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Schwann

I got Z avios and tier points from flights last week. Even bigger shocker.. they posted automatically!
The cut off was the 11th. When did you fly, and when did they post?
Old May 18, 2018, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bobbex
This is really annoying and I hope an error on the part of BA similar to when R class fares on QR were tagged as ineligible for TPs and Avios. They later fixed the chart. I made several Latam bookings last month that fall into the Z bucket but I won't be flying them until the end of the year. If I had thought BA was going to pull a stunt like this I would have booked with Avianca and topped up my Star Alliance balance instead.

Bob
Is there a department at BAEC one could call for clarification? I wanted to pull the trigger on those flights soon. Otherwise, like you, I’ll be looking at Avianca instead which is actually more convenient for my needs.
Old May 18, 2018, 4:17 am

Programs: BA Silver
On the positive side - and I hadn't noticed that BA was changing earning rates for LA/JJ (thanks for pointing it out) - Economy earning rates have improved. Really good to see that A fare is now eligible for earning (I've missed out on a few of those in the past year), and quite a few fare classes moved up to 50% earnings.
Old May 18, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The cut off was the 11th. When did you fly, and when did they post?
10th May! That was close then. Anyway, apologies.. I didn't read the thread in it's fullest to realise there had been a cutoff.

Presumably they would honour TPs for tickets issued before the changes were announced? Or not?
Old May 18, 2018, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Schwann
10th May! That was close then. Anyway, apologies.. I didn't read the thread in it's fullest to realise there had been a cutoff.

Presumably they would honour TPs for tickets issued before the changes were announced? Or not?
Airlines generally don't honour tickets purchased before the announced changes Maybe BA is generous?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.