Wiki Posts
Search

Requesting a seat change after op-up

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Requesting a seat change after op-up

First off - I am totally aware this is a first world problem - please be gentle with me.
Flying in CW on a quite full flight in 3 days. I have just discovered BA moved me from my beloved 15K (B777 metal) to 2F, effectively upgrading me to F. I am still recovering from a shock of being op-uped 3 days before the flight, but would that be completely inappropriate to give BA a call and request to be moved to a window seat?
My only concern is that they may interpret my request wrongly and move me to somewhere like 50A. I would obviously prefer to avoid that kind of misunderstanding at all costs.
Old May 16, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Can you select your seat online through MMB? I don't think that should be a problem as long as there are unassigned seats left in F.
Old May 16, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I’ve been able to move seats by asking after op-ups at the airport.
Old May 16, 2018, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by megaloman
Can you select your seat online through MMB? I don't think that should be a problem as long as there are unassigned seats left in F.
I have just tried doing that, and I think I have totally confused superfragile AI aka BA IT infra. Previously it showed my seat as 2F on their mobile app, now mobile app shows my seat as -- (two dashes), and throws an error when I try to select a seat. Web MMB still shows 15K, but goes into internal loop when I click view/select seat. I am doomed to 50D now, am I not?
Old May 16, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
It's usually possible to select a seat, or change seat in MMB following an op-up.
Old May 16, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Is there definitely an F service on this route? Could it be the case that an equipment change means they're flying a 777 with an F cabin on a three class route?
Cymro likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by luitje
First off - I am totally aware this is a first world problem - please be gentle with me.
Flying in CW on a quite full flight in 3 days. I have just discovered BA moved me from my beloved 15K (B777 metal) to 2F, effectively upgrading me to F. I am still recovering from a shock of being op-uped 3 days before the flight, but would that be completely inappropriate to give BA a call and request to be moved to a window seat?
My only concern is that they may interpret my request wrongly and move me to somewhere like 50A. I would obviously prefer to avoid that kind of misunderstanding at all costs.
Does it show your new cabin as First, or have you been Flubbed (4 cabin aircraft on 3 class route, using F for overflow J)?
Old May 16, 2018, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Yep, this is a 4 cass configuration ( Do they even have 777 in 3 class?) - I gave a call to BA EC and their systems were down, couldn't retrieve my booking. Meanwhile it gets curiouser and curiouser - MMB now shows seat as 2F, but after I click view view/change it is 15K. Mobile still shows --, but when I hit view/select it is 2F again. Did I break it?
Old May 16, 2018, 6:55 pm

I think you may have slightly misunderstood EsherFlyer's question.
What is the route you are flying?
There are 3 class (J,W & Y) 777's and there are routes where these are normally used so F is not sold.
Occasionally BA has to swap planes around and you end up with a 4 cabin plane flying a route where Business was the highest cabin sold. Normally First is left empty but if there are not enough Club World seats to accommodate all the relevant passengers then the First cabin is used although it is CW food, drinks, amenity kits etc.
The risk is that if you are currently in an F seat but on the day of travel there are enough seats to fit everyone in CW due to no-shows etc. then you will probably be moved to whatever seat is left in CW. Some people advocate keeping a decent CW seat over rolling the dice on an "upgrade" although I see in your case you didn't move yourself forwards.

If your flight is imminent then it then it may well now be under airport control so call centre staff won't be able to shift you. I'd suggest keep trying on App or MMB and failing that check-in a little earlier than normal at a desk and ask if the flight is full and you can stay in your F seat or if not move to a preferred J seat.

Search for FLUB on the forum to see further threads that may be relevant
Old May 16, 2018, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

This is a four class route for sure. I had been upgraded to F once ( albeit in the flounge), but then the agent gracefylly put me in 3K.
I didn't know airport could take control 3 days before departure. This is mind boggling / what if someone needs to cancel or change their fligh?
Old May 16, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
Airports do not take control 3 days out. Why will you not tell us what route this is?
Old May 16, 2018, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DominicB
Airports do not take control 3 days out. Why will you not tell us what route this is?
SEA, but I really don't see how that can help.
Old May 16, 2018, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I didn't know airport could take control 3 days before departure. This is mind boggling / what if someone needs to cancel or change their fligh?
Lordy me! Does that mean we are going to have three days of this ?
Old May 17, 2018, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold

SEA, but I really don't see how that can help.
So it is BA53 on 19 May.
It helps because we all can see the seat map and load on EF.
Apparently thisflight is very full. It could be that you have been targetted as potential opup given your status and fare. But there is nothing definitive yet, so you will have to wait for OLCI or at airport.
I would assume that your seat 15K is still yours but that they plan to opup you to 2F. Currently all F seats are assigned on EF. And calling for a seat change of a potential opup is going a bit overboard.

But it could also be a glitch, a potential ac swap or any other.
In any case, I would relax and wait for OLCI with a potential good news.
Lucanesque and CloudGazer like this.
Old May 17, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: BA GGL
I've been upgraded from WT to WTP on HKG-LHR three days prior to departure before. It's uncommon but does happen with a longer tail than on the day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.