Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HELP!!! Delayed flight on KA and may miss Amex 2-4-1 flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HELP!!! Delayed flight on KA and may miss Amex 2-4-1 flight

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2018, 12:35 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), IHG Rewards (Gold Elite), Marriot (Gold Elite), HHonors (Gold Elite), SPG (Gold)
A very unfortunate scenario for the OP, booking an overnight stay after positioning for his BA flight would to most seem like taking reasonable precautions.

While insurance may cover the cost, while BA didn’t do anything wrong here is there a chance a sympathetic ear in BA could reinstate the 2-4-1 voucher? To my mind it would seem a nice gesture given the misfortune that has affected the OP on this occasion. And gestures like that can help with loyalty long term....
Old May 18, 2018, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by duncgor
A very unfortunate scenario for the OP, booking an overnight stay after positioning for his BA flight would to most seem like taking reasonable precautions.

While insurance may cover the cost, while BA didn’t do anything wrong here is there a chance a sympathetic ear in BA could reinstate the 2-4-1 voucher? To my mind it would seem a nice gesture given the misfortune that has affected the OP on this occasion. And gestures like that can help with loyalty long term....
I doubt it - why would they? The BA seats were reserved and available for OP's use, and presumably flew empty.

As you say it was a reasonable precaution but ultimately when one uses such ticketing arrangements there is always a risk.
orbitmic likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Terribly bad luck, OP - very sorry to hear how it ended up. As mentioned above, that's the thing about 241s, and there's little you can do to mitigate further other than only use it for a complete point to point itinerary. It would be great to be able to do as suggested above my @EsherFlyer. Our 241s are mostly used to the US where some kind of connection is usually needed along the way. Being able to pay the full avios on the connection but to keep it on one ticket would definitely be attractive. As it is, we build in an overnight before the LH sector, buying a cash or Avios ticket for the connection.
Old May 18, 2018, 1:09 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), IHG Rewards (Gold Elite), Marriot (Gold Elite), HHonors (Gold Elite), SPG (Gold)
Originally Posted by simons1
I doubt it - why would they? The BA seats were reserved and available for OP's use, and presumably flew empty.

As you say it was a reasonable precaution but ultimately when one uses such ticketing arrangements there is always a risk.
i would still take a punt at it, the worst they can do is say no 😀
Old May 18, 2018, 1:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
Terribly bad luck, OP - very sorry to hear how it ended up. As mentioned above, that's the thing about 241s, and there's little you can do to mitigate further other than only use it for a complete point to point itinerary. It would be great to be able to do as suggested above my @EsherFlyer. Our 241s are mostly used to the US where some kind of connection is usually needed along the way. Being able to pay the full avios on the connection but to keep it on one ticket would definitely be attractive. As it is, we build in an overnight before the LH sector, buying a cash or Avios ticket for the connection.
Using the 2-4-1 for trips to the USA also has the advantage that, assuming that your other ticket is on AA, there's an AA policy to protect across separate tickets between AA and itself or its oneworld partners such as BA.
Old May 18, 2018, 1:25 am

I think the OP was unlucky with the cancellation of the flight (EDIT: wrong conclusion, but also lucky that BA accommodated him (albeit not in the same class) when they had no obligation to do so.

I'm always slightly twitchy when I see people talking about building in an overnight stop on a positioning flight. For me, it's more about how many alternative flights would be feasible in the event that my positioning flight is cancelled. For many overnight options (as in the OP's case) the answer may be zero.

I hope it's just a convenient forum shorthand for people to say that they've allowed an overnight stop on their trips to reduce the risk/impact of irrops and that they've allowed for a couple of backup options in that overnight period but I fear that in some cases it may not be. If not, then they may as well save the time and cost and chance a shorter 'connection' (as I sometimes do, choosing to accept the risk).
orbitmic likes this.

Last edited by windowontheAside; May 18, 2018 at 3:07 am
Old May 18, 2018, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

Like simons1, I personally doubt that this will happen. I think gestures of good will are certainly worth asking for, but from the people who have a responsibility in the matter (ie CX here), not from those which fully delivered on their contract (ie BA). Even if the cancellation was not one where they were at fault, I'd personally ask CX for some gesture (travel credit, travel voucher) in view of the inconvenience that their cancelled flight led to.
Old May 18, 2018, 1:56 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I think the OP was unlucky with the cancellation of the flight, but also lucky that BA accommodated him (albeit not in the same class) when they had no obligation to do so.

I'm always slightly twitchy when I see people talking about building in an overnight stop on a positioning flight. For me, it's more about how many alternative flights would be feasible in the event that my positioning flight is cancelled. For many overnight options (as in the OP's case) the answer may be zero.

I hope it's just a convenient forum shorthand for people to say that they've allowed an overnight stop on their trips to reduce the risk/impact of irrops and that they've allowed for a couple of backup options in that overnight period but I fear that in some cases it may not be. If not, then they may as well save the time and cost and chance a shorter 'connection' (as I sometimes do, choosing to accept the risk).
I totally agree with this. In my case (CAN-PEK-LHR) I was fortunate that there were a number of options on different carriers. I deliberately ensured that I was not on the last CZ flight of the day, and should something have gone wrong, CA also had flights.
Old May 18, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Using the 2-4-1 for trips to the USA also has the advantage that, assuming that your other ticket is on AA, there's an AA policy to protect across separate tickets between AA and itself or its oneworld partners such as BA.
I thought they scraped that in 2016, along with through-checking bags to oneworld-partners on separate tickets?
Old May 18, 2018, 2:03 am

i would still take a punt at it, the worst they can do is say no 😀
True, on the other hand eventually with everyone trying it on someone with a genuine case will miss out.
Old May 18, 2018, 2:19 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
I'm not sure if tom911's question was rhetorical, along the lines of BA not permitting a mixed carrier itinerary so OP made reasonable provision within the constraints of that. Arguing that they shouldn't have used the 2-4-1 (which would have allowed a connecting itinerary) might be seen as unreasonable, since that effectively (largely) restricts iternaries that a customer can rely on end-to-end carriage for to single BA hops from LON. It would be quite reasonable for BA to allow multi-sector itineraries but only apply the 2-4-1 to BA sectors, but they choose not to.
yes i thought so too. just to be clear though, i wasn't arguing the OP shouldn't have used a 2-4-1 so the could have got a through ticket. i agree it would be nice if you could add non BA flights on a 2-4-1, but we have to deal with the rules as they are rather than what we would like them to be. as noted by others, the OP was very unlucky here.
Old May 18, 2018, 3:01 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by tedcruz
I have now re-booked to go from HND to LHR on the early JAL flight. To get to HND, I booked China Eastern to PVG which left at 13.15 and arrived at 16.00. I'm now waiting for ANA to take me to HND at 21.00 gettting into HND at midnight and then flying at 2am to LHR arriving at 6.30.
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I think the OP was unlucky with the cancellation of the flight, but also lucky that BA accommodated him (albeit not in the same class) when they had no obligation to do so.
I read it as the OP re-booked himself rather than BA doing anything?
Old May 18, 2018, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I read it as the OP re-booked himself rather than BA doing anything?
Yes indeed. I have no idea how I misread that. I will edit accordingly. Sorry!
Old May 18, 2018, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Feed him. He's one of us. Simple

M
You need to order KSML's 24 hours in advance.
msm2000uk likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
Well, all well that ends well!!! After 12 hours on JAL, I don't think the regulars on here can cope with 5!! Side point, @KARFA, you have never done World Traveller according to your ba97 diary. I think we need to petition you to try it-3 hours to DME to start with...
wrp96 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.