Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA just tried to up sell me CE on the CityFlyer to LCY

BA just tried to up sell me CE on the CityFlyer to LCY

Old May 17, 2018, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Formally no, I'm sure you can get a second sub 150 ml slosh of tea, but the way it works on EDI-LCY is that the operating time is about 45 minutes or so. There are 2 cabin crew, the senior crew member will typically look after the CE passengers until they are done, and then if time / demand permits move to ET. On that sector it's probably the last 20 minutes or less of the flight if breakfast, maybe a bit more if mid afternoon. By this stage the ET trolley is usually about half way down the ET cabin, maybe a bit more. So as you can see the rear of ET - usually less busy - tends to be served rather late and it's very difficult to get a second tea at that point. Rationing is more by dint of the time remaining, more than anything else. What you can do, quite easily, is ask for (e.g.) a tea and a sparkling water at the first stage, and so you can get towards 300ml of fluid that way. But in practical terms you would not easily get 2 cups of tea one after the other. Very occasionally - on an E190 on that route, the last few passengers will only be allowed a quick cold drink since the flight crew may have called on descent. I doubt it happens on E170.
Ah, I see what you mean. I would rarely feel the need for a second drink when the fly is so short that the crew struggle to complete the service (and would. I must say, feel somewhat guilty from distracting the crew onto a second drink when this might contribute to hamper their providing proper service for those at the far end at the back) but, of course, we are all different and have different preferences and inclinations.
Old May 17, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by Vgravity

Rationally you should never fly CE if you have Silver or Gold status for the product, but it is quite nice when you do!
But similarly one would never get silver or, particularly, gold without doing it!

CE is a bit like Schrodinger's Cat - it offers both excellent and terrible value at the same time
EsherFlyer likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by NickB
Ah, I see what you mean. I would rarely feel the need for a second drink when the fly is so short that the crew struggle to complete the service (and would. I must say, feel somewhat guilty from distracting the crew onto a second drink when this might contribute to hamper their providing proper service for those at the far end at the back) but, of course, we are all different and have different preferences and inclinations.
Perhaps time pressure is a bit different on the ex-LHR domestics, but even when I ask for two cups of tea on the first run to help free them up for ET duties they usually tell me they'd prefer to come back with the next one.
Old May 17, 2018, 4:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
But similarly one would never get silver or, particularly, gold without doing it!

CE is a bit like Schrodinger's Cat - it offers both excellent and terrible value at the same time
On your first sentence : oh yes you can. I can personally attest to the fact that its perfectly feasible (as can many, many others !)

Re the second : Oh Wow ! Had to look that one up, must confess. Its pretty deep stuff. Always good to see an intellectual slant to FT posts ...... impressive
TheJayHatch likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by subject2load

On your first sentence : oh yes you can. I can personally attest to the fact that it’s perfectly feasible (as can many, many others !)

Re the second : Oh Wow ! Had to look that one up, must confess. It’s pretty deep stuff. Always good to see an intellectual slant to FT posts ...... impressive
I should have qualified para 1 as being from my mainly EU perspective... although those getting GGL on ET deserve a particular level of respect. Truly gods amongst FTers!

Last edited by TheJayHatch; May 17, 2018 at 4:47 am Reason: realisation
Old May 17, 2018, 4:46 am

On your first sentence : oh yes you can. I can personally attest to the fact that its perfectly feasible (as can many, many others !)

Actually doing the "math" (as my kids have started saying...) I guess its not that difficult. At least in a numerical sense...
Old May 17, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
I pay for CE because I don't fly enough to get status, but appreciate fast track security, priority check in, lounge access (where available) and the like. The on board food and drink is nice, but not why I pay extra. My biggest gripe is the lack of legroom.
Old May 17, 2018, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
I should have qualified para 1 as being from my mainly EU perspective... although those getting gold on ET deserve a particular level of respect. Truly gods amongst FTers!
Please be assured that, although there are hardy, noble souls out there who do indeed manage Gold entirely on the back of ET flying, I am certainly not amongst them. I much prefer to earn my TPs in (long-haul) comfort, whilst making good use of the range of options so helpfully provided by the OW alliance, and the resultant benefits which filter through to BAEC status membership.

Lets see what changes come about following completion of the ongoing BAEC / Avios joint review. There is much apprehension .......
TheJayHatch likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 5:07 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
As the only economy class flyer on the whole of Flyertalk (I think - certainly the BA board anyway) i'd like to fly CE from EDI-LCY just so I can understand what you're all going on about.
Old May 17, 2018, 5:19 am

@ Sam Bee - you absolutely wont be the only Y class flyer here ! (and some members barely fly at all ....)

But if / when you do ever decide to shell out on CE, then please try a better route than EDI-LCY !!
Old May 17, 2018, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
As the only economy class flyer on the whole of Flyertalk (I think - certainly the BA board anyway) i'd like to fly CE from EDI-LCY just so I can understand what you're all going on about.
I fly ET and WT+ exclusively. I have the option to fly CE domestic and J longhaul. But I (as is clear here) don't see the value in CE and Don't like the hard product in J. I sleep better in (the new) WT+
I hope to move to J when the new J hard product launches. Looking forward to it.
Old May 17, 2018, 6:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

@ Sam Bee - you absolutely wont be the only Y class flyer here ! (and some members barely fly at all ....)
....and when we do we fly CE as it includes extra baggage allowance as well as lounge access.

The CE product design will also keep down the fare cost for those who like to go ex EU. I suspect the number of CE passengers BA carries has never been higher.
Old May 17, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
I think you do also get a slightly more attentive service, plus you're usually first off the plane which can be a useful 5 minutes to rushy people - admittedly often first off the plane and then straight into an airport bus haha (sorry, not at LCY of course).
Old May 17, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
A core premise behind the way in which airlines price everything is that many customers pass the cost on to someone else. Many of those customers will be tempted to commit the payer to incurring additional cost in exchange for the customer receiving a personal benefit, the value of which may be far less than the additional cost to the payer.
Old May 17, 2018, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
Don't like the hard product in J. I sleep better in (the new) WT+
This just goes to show the range of views on here and how we are all different... I flew BA J recently after not having done so for a few years, with a several CX and AY J in between.

I was expecting to find BA uncomfortable, claustrophobic, etc etc, when I actually found it probably one of the most comfortable and easiest beds to fall asleep in in the class. Mind you - the new WhiteCo pillow probably helped that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.