BA code share flights in Australia?

Reply

Old May 16, 18, 10:07 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anywhere
Posts: 3,288
Originally Posted by kyanar View Post
This makes sense when you remember that people living in Australia aren't permitted to be BAEC members. If they discover your residential address is Australian, they will close your account and tell you to join QFF.

If they don't allow customers living in the country to join the FFP why would they have codeshares allowing customers there to get TP and Avios? It's pointless!
Never quite understood this rationale either.
carrotjuice is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 18, 10:14 pm
  #17  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
No. Generally ff points/avios/miles cannot be moved from 1 ffp to another.
The web site... has some (poor value) opportunities.
SQ & VA are a notable exception albeit at a loss in value (1:1.35).

Even transferring points/avios/miles from I person to another (in the same ffp) is not that common. Some ffp's allow with a fee, which can make the transfer very poor value/no value. Family pooling is also not the norm with ffp's but some have that good feature.

If you look in the QR forum there does seem to be ongoing problem with dealing with the ffp/getting awards/upgrades with points. QR has hard expiration 3 to 3.5 years after earning (on June 30 & Dec. 31); may be extended or resurrected for a fee. No expiration for Platinum members.
Often said the ME3 are good in the air but on the ground its buyer beware.

AA now does not have a 4 flight minimum. QF & BA(IB) have a 4[2] flight minimum.
Leeds-AMS(or other)-London would get 2 flights
What do you expect status will do for you?
​Thanks for the info. This is fast becoming too complicated to bother with. I see all carriers have buttoned things up to avoid anyone playing the system, so to speak.

To be honest the value of getting back to Silver is limited, I still fly occasionally for work and me and the misses do one or two longhauls a year plus a few domestic east coast hops so any benefit would be seldom used in reality, perhaps 10 flights a year? Additionally I've never been blown away by the BA products vs price, when I flew regularly I wasn't paying for the tickets. This last trip we booked I didn't even consider BA Club World.

I/we enjoy a couple the benefits, one is seat selection on any one world partner flight as soon as you book. In a country where you can fly for 5 hours and still be on a domestic flight, ensuring you're not wedged in on the dreaded center aisle becomes a concern. This becomes exponentially more important when you're doing 10+ hours international flights. Flying business is very much the exception to the rule...

I also enjoy the lounges, after 7 years on the road I have gotten used to having them but if neither of us is really flying much I'm not sure all this hassle is worth it.
I think I might take the points, we might do two flights in Europe and possibly retain Bronze, suggest the gf signs up to Qatar or Qantas to claim points and leave it at that! Life is too short to worry about this!
hmun01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 18, 3:27 am
  #18  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 34,895
Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
Originally Posted by kyanar View Post
This makes sense when you remember that people living in Australia aren't permitted to be BAEC members. If they discover your residential address is Australian, they will close your account and tell you to join QFF.

If they don't allow customers living in the country to join the FFP why would they have codeshares allowing customers there to get TP and Avios? It's pointless!
Never quite understood this rationale either.
The occasional recent BAEC references to this situation suggest that it's a restriction that BA is constrained to live with, rather than actively wanting to continue. IIRC, it dates back to the days of the BA/QF JSA. Other BAEC anomalies that may date back to that period are being able to earn BAEC mileage (now Avios) and TPs on QF-marketed flights operated by non-OW airlines.

This has nothing to do with whether or not BA has codeshare flights within the country in question. BA does have its code on flights within Australia. The reason you can't book them is nothing to do with the frequent flyer scheme. After all, you don't need a BA-coded flight to earn Avios and TPs in BAEC: you just need to buy and fly on QF.

There are plenty of examples of countries whose residents are very welcome as members of BAEC, but within which you cannot buy a standalone BA-coded flight. For example, there are plenty of BA-coded domestic flights within the US, and plenty of US-resident BAEC members - but you cannot buy a BA-coded US domestic flight on its own.
JAXBA likes this.
Globaliser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 18, 4:40 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: BNE
Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Posts: 531
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
The occasional recent BAEC references to this situation suggest that it's a restriction that BA is constrained to live with, rather than actively wanting to continue. IIRC, it dates back to the days of the BA/QF JSA. Other BAEC anomalies that may date back to that period are being able to earn BAEC mileage (now Avios) and TPs on QF-marketed flights operated by non-OW airlines.
Oh yes, getting Avios and Tier Points on UA is quite the abomination!

Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
There are plenty of examples of countries whose residents are very welcome as members of BAEC, but within which you cannot buy a standalone BA-coded flight. For example, there are plenty of BA-coded domestic flights within the US, and plenty of US-resident BAEC members - but you cannot buy a BA-coded US domestic flight on its own.
I suspect it's more to do with the 9th Freedom - no foreign carrier may operate 9th Freedom (Domestic Cabotage) within either the US or Australia (with the exception of New Zealand airlines in Australia, which is why NZ was able to sell domestic VA fares as codeshares) and since codeshare agreements are subject to government approval, I assume they're treated as "flown" by the marketing carrier!
kyanar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 18, 5:53 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: UK
Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, AF Ivory, FlyBe, IHG Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum
Posts: 958
Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post


Never quite understood this rationale either.
QF of course allows UK residents to be members of QFF. It is indeed a strange hangover from the past, particularly since my experience of QF treatment of myself and my other half with BAEC status ranges wildly, including some who treat it as if it is some mysterious FF scheme from a far away land of which they know nothing.
libertyuk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 18, 6:33 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: JAX
Programs: Former BA/AA/CP/LY employee, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Platinum, Samsung Platinum
Posts: 2,730
Originally Posted by nufnuf77 View Post
Originally Posted by bigjono View Post
You can only fly the codeshares as an extension to a ba long haul flight, not on their own
Unless on a RTW ticket.
Even then you should be arriving or departing the country/region on a BA coded flight as the flights are marked as VALID FOR INTERNATIONAL ONLINE CONX/STOPOVER TRAFFIC ONLY

See this RTW thread for more discussion: Rules on when BA code shares are permitted on xONExs
JAXBA is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 18, 7:53 am
  #22  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 34,895
Originally Posted by kyanar View Post
I suspect it's more to do with the 9th Freedom - no foreign carrier may operate 9th Freedom (Domestic Cabotage) within either the US or Australia ...
I'm sure that this is the by far the biggest factor in it.

However, whatever the reasons are, there certainly isn't any linkage to whether residents of Australia are permitted to join the BA frequent flyer scheme, contrary to the suggestion in this post:-
Originally Posted by kyanar View Post
If they don't allow customers living in the country to join the FFP why would they have codeshares allowing customers there to get TP and Avios?
Globaliser is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread