FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Ever 'outed' yourself as a Flyertalker to BA cabin crew? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1909545-ever-outed-yourself-flyertalker-ba-cabin-crew.html)

HIDDY May 15, 2018 6:33 pm

Ever 'outed' yourself as a Flyertalker to BA cabin crew?

...and if you did what was their reaction?

I haven't.

UKtravelbear May 15, 2018 7:17 pm

Why would you 'out' yourself? Are you expecting to get better treatment?

The vast majority BA staff have no idea what flyer talk is.Just as they have no idea about other travel blogs like head for points or one mile at a time etc

Many have no idea about ex-EU flights and someone doing a B2B is a novelty to be explained to them.

Diver Boy May 15, 2018 7:20 pm

Nope, though have had one realise that I was on Flyertalk after distributing the warm rags and disturbing a conversation I was having with my neighbour about TP runs (He had asked if I had ever heard of FT). She said she also followed FT.

seaskybound May 15, 2018 8:54 pm

I once hosted CIHY and his wife in the FLounge (when that was a nice part of BAFT)

Nicksta May 15, 2018 11:02 pm

I had a tight back-to-back for an ex-EU in Dublin. The crew wanted to know why I was back in 1A just 20 minutes after landing... I explained that I learned the technique on Flyertalk and the FA said that she had "heard of it".

Flying back from IST last year, the passenger in front of me said hello and revealed that they may be Pucci Galore. Maybe.

JayeJ May 15, 2018 11:50 pm

We were checking in at the CE desk at CPH last year. One of our bags was 25 kg and the other was 22. Mr. J remarked on how "light" my bag was but the clerk looked at me and mentioned that the other bag was 3 kg over and what was I going to do about it. I informed her that I I was pretty certain we actually got 32 kg. (Not my first rodeo.) She had to confirm this with her colleague and I mentioned that I read Flyer Talk every day. I don't know if she took the hint (that perhaps she should have a look here) though.

The bag in question was already tagged and sent through before she mentioned the weight, so I wonder how that would have been handled if it were overweight.

sxc May 16, 2018 12:19 am

Originally Posted by JayeJ (Post 29759016)
We were checking in at the CE desk at CPH last year. One of our bags was 25 kg and the other was 22. Mr. J remarked on how "light" my bag was but the clerk looked at me and mentioned that the other bag was 3 kg over and what was I going to do about it. I informed her that I I was pretty certain we actually got 32 kg. (Not my first rodeo.) She had to confirm this with her colleague and I mentioned that I read Flyer Talk every day. I don't know if she took the hint (that perhaps she should have a look here) though.

The bag in question was already tagged and sent through before she mentioned the weight, so I wonder how that would have been handled if it were overweight.

DYKWIAOFT?

corporate-wage-slave May 16, 2018 12:25 am

One MF cabin crew member gave me the Gold greeting and follow-up service as "Mr. Wage-Slave" throughout. It was a flight where I had said in advance I would be on it. He said he wasn't an FT member, just a lurker. And a Vueling crew member (aspiring to join MF) managed to work it out too, very cleverly.

crazyarmadillo May 16, 2018 12:44 am

Some crew do know especially on the ex-eu flights. We been told by a couple crew on different flights that they know of FT and also to make sure you tell them so they can keep the doors open as long as they possibly can, as long as they know in the first place that you are not a no-show. Also to save space in the wardrobe or lockers for hand baggage if getting on board last.

So yes have outed a couple times, in light of the crews comments before. And nothing to do with loyalty program status , just the crews being nice and genuinely intrigued about why some people fly the routes they do.

Saltire74 May 16, 2018 12:46 am

I ‘outed’ myself at GLA ckeck in last year on behalf of CWS to see what the value of the vouchers were going to be when they were closing the lounge for some works over a weekend. Just missed the opportunity to meet CWS by one flight.

S

gustavmahler May 16, 2018 12:58 am

I was outed by check-in agent printing my BPs in 2013 doing the A380 FRA run. While chatting to a CC in the galley on the way to Oslo to start a Viking trip, she asked what I had planned in Norway. I explained that I was actually going to SFO the next day and she was well aware of the FT thread. Finally, booking a B2B to HEL over the phone in March the agent said "you're doing this for the points aren't you", which led to a short chat about FT.

Sealink May 16, 2018 1:00 am

Nope. I’m embarrassed enough by my use of this forum!

TPRun May 16, 2018 1:05 am

I mentioned it on a new CW flight recently, the UD Crew member was interested to hear about it (I can’t recall if he had been on here before). I was a few doubles in and gave him my comprehensive version of it, my tier point run plans, Dos, the lot...
A little later in the flight I said I noticed he didn’t use the new service arm band wine holder contraptions and he said (in jest) “oooh you little bugger, you noticed! And now you’ll complain about it to all your flyertalk friends” :D
[edit: I didn’t. I would have only moaned if he ran out of gin :D]

ThatT1Feeling May 16, 2018 1:16 am

To be fair, I haven't outed myself to other Flyertalkers either when travelling.

I have seen three recently - when waiting to board recently I saw a chap with a yellow FT tag, another on a plane was reading FT next to to me before departure and a third was telling me about Theoretical Seating when we had the middle seat free - he recommended I read FT :) I know I should have outed myself at least in that situation, but I didn't :)

TPRun May 16, 2018 1:21 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling (Post 29759215)
To be fair, I haven't outed myself to other Flyertalkers either when travelling.

I have seen three recently - when waiting to board recently I saw a chap with a yellow FT tag, another on a plane was reading FT next to to me before departure and a third was telling me about Theoretical Seating when we had the middle seat free - he recommended I read FT :) I know I should have outed myself at least in that situation, but I didn't :)

:O that was me! Berlin? #awkward if so...