Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ever 'outed' yourself as a Flyertalker to BA cabin crew?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever 'outed' yourself as a Flyertalker to BA cabin crew?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 3:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Once I was sitting beside an off-duty BA cabin crew member on a LHR-GLA, and we got chatting about flying and related subjects, it came out in conversation that we were both members. And once a similar thing happened with an on-duty cabin crew member on a GLA-LHR 767 where I was the only person in CE. I would not "out myself" to random CC though.
HIDDY likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 3:41 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
I sometimes "out" myself by using the FT baggage tags. Mostly when flying an EF, though. You meet other FT that way. For instance, I talked to some FT users on the QR AMS/BRU-TYO run. So I guess on occasion, BA and other crews must have noticed the tags. However, I was never approached in regards to them.
HIDDY likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by London_traveller
Are you really saying that cabin crew confer extra privileges on you because you're a member of an internet chat forum? Complete wow if so, and in which case I guess I should mention it.

(or else your humour fell flat at this end - sorry)
No humour.

Just the truth. Why wouldn't crew be intrigued about routes some people fly. And yes that's what 3 separate crews said and nothing to do with any status.

Mention as you desire.

I'm just relaying what crew have said. It's not about the

'wow'

But more about the love of flying and interaction with people.

Edit - maybe its the number of flights you have, so eventually there will be some crew who knows about FT, as opposed to say flying once a month when you don't interact with people. That could explain it. I tend to always talk to the crew and ask how their day is going etc, just polite conversation so again you get asked where you're heading and maybes that's when it's cropped up
HIDDY likes this.

Last edited by crazyarmadillo; May 16, 2018 at 4:13 am
Old May 16, 2018, 3:59 am

I am not being snarky, I am genuinely curious.

Is Reddit not really a thing for the BA crew? Just curious why it seems to dominate the posts, or at least the trending posts to a massive degree on FT. Is it like some sort of British tabloid / paparazzi / chatterbox thing?

Are the British just doing massive amounts of travel, vs. we wouldn't hear about the Chinese, Japanese, Korean markets on here as much? Americans traveling, but mostly domestic, boring travel?

Just thinking out loud.
HIDDY likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 4:02 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Don't think I've ever done it proactively - would have to come up in conversation somehow, which is rare for me as I am actually quite antisocial on flights when on my own. Not rude you understand, just happy with a bit of 'me time' for a change.

However when I've swapped seats / done AUP at check in and consulted EF on my phone I have had some knowing looks.
HIDDY and boutela like this.
Old May 16, 2018, 4:15 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Well that is also true. I've met a number of the FT members who work for BA over the years, some chose not be overt about it here (they come on FT to sort out travel and status issues like everyone else) but they are very much in a minority, even if you multiply up the lurkers on a 3 or 4 times multiple. I'm not overly surprised, there are a number of farming, tractor and Land Rover related forums out there and I haven't the slightest interest in participating in any of them, just doesn't float my boat. I imagine the same is true of the accountants, lawyers, policemen, train drivers, teachers, consultants (etc) that participate in BA Flyertalk,
i completely agree, i avoid anything related to accountancy outside of work
HIDDY likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by London_traveller
Are you really saying that cabin crew confer extra privileges on you because you're a member of an internet chat forum? Complete wow if so, and in which case I guess I should mention it.

(or else your humour fell flat at this end - sorry)
OP here was talking about letting the crew know you're doing a B2B and will be back onboard shortly. It's helpful if you're at an outstation which requires you to clear immigration and come back through security, as you're often last onboard in those situations.
HIDDY and aidy like this.
Old May 16, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by noFODplease
I have on more than one occasion had to hide behind my menu as @chris1979 charms the crew and tells them all about our trip and routing in great detail (completely ruining my attempt to seem blasé and mysterious in 1A or similar)

Not certain he ever actually mentions the word 'Flyertalk', admittedly..
honey, if you think you needed outing, you need to buy a better mirror! (is there no kisses emjoi thingy on here?)

sociable and charming as one is, one talks to crew on occasion and as part of the 'you fly more than some of us do' conversation, one does mention routings. I rarely mention FT though some crew are aware of it, some lurk, some are active and some are obviously legendary like @BingBongBoy
HIDDY and wrp96 like this.
Old May 16, 2018, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by chris1979
honey, if you think you needed outing, you need to buy a better mirror! (is there no kisses emjoi thingy on here?)

sociable and charming as one is, one talks to crew on occasion and as part of the 'you fly more than some of us do' conversation, one does mention routings. I rarely mention FT though some crew are aware of it, some lurk, some are active and some are obviously legendary like @BingBongBoy
Well... Quite...

I have met several flyer talkers onboard and some have even been off-board, but thats a story for another day.

Now, in my new life, you lot don't even get a snifter at my plane...
HIDDY, wrp96 and aidy like this.
Old May 16, 2018, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
The yellow FT bag tag that I had on my bag might have given the game away
HIDDY likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Absolutely not. I imagine I would get a vacant look if I mentioned FT from the vast majority of crew.
HIDDY likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by noFODplease
I have on more than one occasion had to hide behind my menu as @chris1979 charms the crew and tells them all about our trip and routing in great detail (completely ruining my attempt to seem blasé and mysterious in 1A or similar)

Not certain he ever actually mentions the word 'Flyertalk', admittedly..
Oh God, you get that too do you?! I nearly hid back in economy on the way back to Inverness as he went into minute detail about our route back from Vegas..... I'm sure the poor crew member was just amusing him by appearing to listen!
Old May 16, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Well... Quite...

I have met several flyer talkers onboard and some have even been off-board, but thats a story for another day.

Now, in my new life, you lot don't even get a snifter at my plane...
Hi @bigbondboy I notice you are involved in Private aircraft.
Now I was wondering. Once you get to private levels. Is their a snobbery between those who OWN their own plane/s and those who merely charter them? Just wondering if the DYKWIA ever stops.
Old May 16, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by stu1985
Absolutely not. I imagine I would get a vacant look if I mentioned FT from the vast majority of crew.
I think most of your conversation partners give you vacant looks when you get going........
BingBongBoy likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by stu1985
Oh God, you get that too do you?! I nearly hid back in economy on the way back to Inverness as he went into minute detail about our route back from Vegas..... I'm sure the poor crew member was just amusing him by appearing to listen!
I am surprised you even remember the flight......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.