Narita cancellations?

Old May 15, 2018, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Narita cancellations?

i was looking at mid afternoon direct flights to Tokyo for around 14th June but the NRT option has disappeared since I started looking a few days back. The options are now Haneda and Narita via Helsinki.

Given that the BA NRT flight is on a 787-9, is the lack of direct NRT options due to the aircraft being taken out of service similar to other routes?
Old May 15, 2018, 10:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Looks like BA5/6 LHR-NRT is removed from the schedule 9-27 June. Yes the 787 engine issue may well be the underlying reason.
Old May 15, 2018, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by KARFA
Looks like BA5/6 LHR-NRT is removed from the schedule 9-27 June. Yes the 787 engine issue may well be the underlying reason.
Thanks. Any likelihood that the NRT will re-appear operated by 777s?

Last edited by kaizenflying; May 15, 2018 at 11:46 am
Old May 15, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver
I'm surprised they would cancel the route to NRT for a month. There still have the HND flight, but this has been a busy route every time I've flown it. Couldn't they borrow a plane from one of the NY rotations?
mikeyfly and kaizenflying like this.
Old May 15, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Farringdon
I'm surprised they would cancel the route to NRT for a month. There still have the HND flight, but this has been a busy route every time I've flown it. Couldn't they borrow a plane from one of the NY rotations?
They also have JL operating as a partner on TYO-LON, so they have gone from 4 to 3 rotations a day....perhaps June isn't so busy that they can take a short term reduction in capacity. I've recently flown to both NRT and HND, and neither were full.
Old May 15, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold
As with the SJC cancellations in June, I'm pretty sure that flightops took a long look at the loads and backup flights before reaching that decision. Not great for those who's plans are impacted but I'm sure their aim is to keep as many passengers flying as possible.
Old May 15, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have an outbound for 8 June that's remained so it looks like I am on the last flight out before the NRT rotation is suspended. BA cancelled my return on the 16th yesterday and moved me onto the HND flight instead.
My TA told me that availability through to the end of June is now looking tight and prices are on the up. So it might be an expensive month to fly to TYO with BA if not already booked.
Old May 15, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: BA & Accor Gold | Hilton Diamond
I will be on that 8th June flight too. So far it looks like I just got lucky, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed they don't take the 787 out of service a week earlier...
Old May 15, 2018, 10:37 pm

I’m just pleased they gave a bit of notice and the NRT flight is still going to bring me home this Saturday! IMO the HND timings are horrible, can’t wait to leave my hotel at 5am in June rather than the much more relaxed 0930 I’ll have this weekend 😢
Old May 15, 2018, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by andimilk
I will be on that 8th June flight too. So far it looks like I just got lucky, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed they don't take the 787 out of service a week earlier...
ah we can play spot the other FT-er then
andimilk likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I was on BA5 on May 2nd and I returned on BA6 yesterday. The flights were each about 2.5 hours late and in both cases the reason given was the late arrival of the plane at LHR from its previous rotation due to 'technical issues'. I also prefer the NRT flights as the timing is better for me than with the HND ones. (I got a text yesterday morning from BA advising of the delay so I was able to make a later journey to the airport.)
Old May 16, 2018, 1:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
thanks for the heads up .. luckily booked to fly out on the 6th, and my return was from HND anyway. Where do you get the schedules?
Old May 16, 2018, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by vand_hk
thanks for the heads up .. luckily booked to fly out on the 6th, and my return was from HND anyway. Where do you get the schedules?
no problem. i looked at expertflyer to find out which days the NRT flight was cancelled.
vand_hk likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, BA Amex PP, Virgin Gold
My BA5 on the 22nd to NRT has been cancelled I've found out thanks to Flyertalk as of course BA have sent nothing in the way of comms. What is the FlyerTalk Brain's suggestion in terms of rebooking please? This was a GUF2'd Avios booking (CW to F)
Old May 16, 2018, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by BoeBus
My BA5 on the 22nd to NRT has been cancelled I've found out thanks to Flyertalk as of course BA have sent nothing in the way of comms. What is the FlyerTalk Brain's suggestion in terms of rebooking please? This was a GUF2'd Avios booking (CW to F)
F on BA to HND, or F on JL would seem the obvious options for you I think.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.