Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Proactive onboard drinks top up in Club World

Proactive onboard drinks top up in Club World

Old May 15, 2018, 10:13 am

In fairness to BA, I would say this is one of their strong points (in J). I have found on occasion that I sit with an empty glass for too long in AA J - quickly rectified by a push of the call bell.
Old May 15, 2018, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
As I often drive on arrival, I have to stop them filling up my glass!
I share your grief, Brother. However, home-bound it’s a different story
Ancient Observer likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Very true.
Old May 15, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: BA Silver
Club Europe, not World, but last weekend to ARN and back, I was topped up to the tune of five glasses of champagne. Don't know if I got lucky (or unlucky previously!) but has never happened to that extent before.
Old May 15, 2018, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I never get full value from CW ... I have to moderate drinking outbound [day flight] due to driving, and on the return it's a large port and ... ZZZZZZZZZZ
Old May 15, 2018, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you

When the new service was designed they forgot about topping up water and they have now put bottles of still and sparking water on the trolley but to be honest we are so busy service offering other things it tends to get forgotten, so it’s there so just ask when they ask about wine.
I’m not referring to only the new service with Do & Co catering - but the absence of drinks top up is very much evident on flights where the old service has yet to change.

And for those who say that top ups can be “commanded” by pressing a button, I’m too conscious that the crew are already busy during meal service hence it would’ve been better to stop one and say yes I’d like a top up - if they are walking down the aisles with water in hand, as opposed to causing them to dash in and out of the food preparation area.
Old May 15, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
Originally Posted by Padmeister
I read this thread and just think why don't you just ask for more water or wine or whatever it maybe?

Hmmm I tried to do this in F on Saturday night on way back from SJC. i pressed the Call button 3 times (wanting some water) over 20 minutes. then got up and went to the Galley, and no-one was there. There was a 1/2 bottle of sparkling water on a trolley (with a nearly empty box of chocs) - but I couldn't find any glasses or cups. I had to go back through F & J to the next galley, where all the crew were sitting eating/chatting and the chap looking after F said, "yep I'll bring some down to you" which he did.

Didn't feel like F service, especially as a few times I was told, "sorry for the delay, but this is our first time doing the new CW product". I saw the CSD for the first time as we were getting ready to land.

Also, they didn't have my 1st or second choice of main course, and the pasta I had was inedible. I was offered something from CW, but declined and was glad i had the enormous Chicken Strippers at Joe's in the airport. [ the SJC lounge food was a few crackers and those plastic cheese cubes ]

I was on an avios plus GUF1 ticket, so maybe that contributed.

First world problems - hey-ho - and i feel a bit cheap for mentioning it. I survived!
Old May 15, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Ah I remember ten years ago flying Malev (BUD-LHR) in biz, and was given a whole bottle of beaujolais because the cabin attendant said no one else was drinking it (only 2 others in biz), not sure how I got home, don't even know where I lived then.
wanderingjock likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Ritz Rewards
Originally Posted by libertyuk
Ah I remember ten years ago flying Malev (BUD-LHR) in biz, and was given a whole bottle of beaujolais because the cabin attendant said no one else was drinking it (only 2 others in biz), not sure how I got home, don't even know where I lived then.
Hahaha!

I must confess to feeling a little 'foggy' after some BA flights. In my experience they've been a little too generous!!
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 8:37 am

Running out of champagne in Club Europe

Gatwick to Faro on 15/5/18 BA2694 my husband had two small glasses of champagne. He asked for a top up and was told they had run out! Is this really likely given that they were coming straight back on a lunchtime flight?

Old May 16, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
On my LGW-CPT flight last December in CW, we had a great crew, while the wines on board weren't as listed, I had to stop them topping up my glass. Unfortunately on my CW flights into LHR from JNB & CPT my recent experience is that they run out of my choice of red wine very early in the flight, and then the alternative shortly afterwards. Getting water topped up seems to be even more difficult
Old May 16, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Just arrived back from Shanghai in F yesterday and the ‘proactive’ top ups were certainly frequent!
Not helping my jet lag!!
Old May 16, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Thinking back I don't think I've had a top up, ever. This is after about 6 or 7 Club World flights. I've never been offered a chocolate either, including one mildly irritating incident on the Babybus where I was waiting in keen anticipation for a sugar fix, only for the crew member to hand the whole thing over to the guy before me and tell him to, "just keep the box sir".

On our one and only First LHR - SEA, I was in 1A and my OH in 2A. I had one drink (alcoholic or otherwise) other than the welcome glass the whole 10 hour flight, no one came near me. I was therefore completely surprised when we landed and stood up to deplane and my OH was noticeably non-sober, having been cossetted by the same crew member who had spent the time studiously pretending I didn't exist. I should have said something at the time. I would these days. I'm sure had I rung the bell there would have been no problem, but it would have been nice if someone had checked in every couple of hours or so.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
If there’s one thing I’ve never had a complaint about on BA, it’s drink top ups. Whether front, middle or back, short or long the crew has always kept me hydrated. At times even a little bit too hydrated.
Old May 16, 2018, 11:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Fluzz
Thinking back I don't think I've had a top up, ever. This is after about 6 or 7 Club World flights. I've never been offered a chocolate either, including one mildly irritating incident on the Babybus where I was waiting in keen anticipation for a sugar fix, only for the crew member to hand the whole thing over to the guy before me and tell him to, "just keep the box sir".
what box is that? on the babybus you get a small individual box with two chocolates in, i am fairly sure it's placed on your tray. i don't remember ever seeing a larger box being offered around on CWLCY or exLHR CW. are you confusing this with a F flight?

also that's quite an achievement not to get top ups on the babybus considering the cc to passenger ratio and the small cabin. I can just about understand being forgotten sat in a window seat on a 777, but no idea how you would be forgotten on the babybus

On our one and only First LHR - SEA, I was in 1A and my OH in 2A. I had one drink (alcoholic or otherwise) other than the welcome glass the whole 10 hour flight, no one came near me. I was therefore completely surprised when we landed and stood up to deplane and my OH was noticeably non-sober, having been cossetted by the same crew member who had spent the time studiously pretending I didn't exist. I should have said something at the time. I would these days. I'm sure had I rung the bell there would have been no problem, but it would have been nice if someone had checked in every couple of hours or so.
this is odd, did no cc come near you in 10 hrs? how did you manage to get fed?

EDIT: sorry I don't mean to subject to to any kind of inquisition on your post, but certainly your experiences seem very surprising.

Last edited by KARFA; May 16, 2018 at 11:09 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.