Disappointing CW experience.

Old May 24, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
that stinks. sorry you had a poor experience. BA does not do well advertising sleeper service. i was DXH-LHR the other week and skipped the poor lounge offerings for food on board and it was horrible with so few options in J for the flight.
aircrashsurvivor likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
BA don't list this as a sleeper service so if this was me I would be complaining strongly that they didn't provide me the onboard service they had advertised.

BA does list another LGW service as a sleeper service, the BA2272 JFK-LGW, and also does list the BA106 DXB-LHR, BA98 YYZ-LHR and BA94 YUL-LHR.

The whole list is here: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...e/public/en_gb
Old May 25, 2018, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, VIA Preference: Privilège, Air Canada Aeroplan
Thanks for your responses. Having initially been ok with the response I am now quite irritated by it. It does smack rather of 'well its not our fault if we don't get our own service right!'. I shall respond. As people have mentioned the main thing is that the service advertised was not supplied.
NWIFlyer and T8191 like this.
Old May 28, 2018, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks again for your responses, and for pushing me to go back to them. I've now been been credited with 10k Avios which I am happy with. Its interesting that the 'Please accept my apologies for the delay in getting back to you. ' line is obviously automatically applied to every email, even though in my case it would have been hard to have actually replied any faster!

On my last email to them I noted that if the service is to be continued as a sleeper service it should be listed as such on their website. I'm flying it again in August so it'll be interesting to see if it is.
Old May 28, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by williamn78
Thanks again for your responses, and for pushing me to go back to them. I've now been been credited with 10k Avios which I am happy with. Its interesting that the 'Please accept my apologies for the delay in getting back to you. ' line is obviously automatically applied to every email, even though in my case it would have been hard to have actually replied any faster!

On my last email to them I noted that if the service is to be continued as a sleeper service it should be listed as such on their website. I'm flying it again in August so it'll be interesting to see if it is.
Good, glad to hear that there has been an acceptable level of service recovery here. Shame that it wasn't sorted first time around but glad it's a decent result in the end.
Old May 29, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Bronze Executive Club Member
We had friends who flew LGW > YYZ on BA2271 on the same day who did not get their bags (in Toronto for a wedding on the Saturday and did'nt get bags till Monday). BA advised at the time that it was so windy they were unable to open the compartments to remove the baggage. This may explain why they had no food to serve on flight if catering could'nt load the plane for the return leg. I'd also be interested to know if your baggage made it onto the plane successfully.

As for my flight back on Monday on BA0092, we had normal CW service albeit very slow (2 hours from take-off before I received my main - and I passed on starter)
Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Well, unfortunately I am resurrecting this thread as I flew again on BA2270 last night and had a similarly disappointing experience. I will complain again to BA but I am posting here a) to vent and b) to get your thoughts on whether my complaints are warranted.

First I should note we were on a refitted 777 with the smaller CW cabin - just 4 rows.

Service was painfully slow to my mind on a TATL flight with a 6h30 flying time. After 50 mins from take off with no drinks I pressed the call button in order to get one. I waited 5 mins and then decided to go find someone. I bumped into the CSM in the aisle who tersely informed me they were coming - I mentioned that we had been in the air 50 minutes and this seemed like a long time. When she came by a little later with my drink she said 'it's actually only been 30 minutes since we could leave our seats'. No hint of an apology. Even 30 minutes to serve such a tiny cabin seems excessive. Anyway, I had a drink by 60 mins in, and my food order was taken at 65 minutes in.

Again, I intended to dine on board, and again we were given a sleeper service menu despite the fact that the flight is not advertised as such. I find this unacceptable. It is not a late flight, leaving at 19.50. What makes it worse it that is both a sleeper service (unadvertised) but also painfully slow. After 90 minutes my glass was again empty and only after an hour and forty minutes did my meal appear. It was almost inedible. There were only two options in the first place - I had gone for the salmon after experiencing the lasagne before (see first post). The salmon was dry and hard - really quite horrible. The custard tart tasted of nothing. To be honest WT food is usually better.

I slept ok with the new bedding (though I find the mattress topper a bit mystifying, how is it supposed to be deployed?) and the rest of the flight was uneventful. I just remain deeply annoyed at getting a service different to what was advertised and the very poor food. Personally I found the service very slow but I am not sure if I am being unreasonable in that.

Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Food on a sleeper service has always been poor, IME. The gripe here is that the service is not advertised as such.

I'd file another complaint - why not?

But more importantly, I'd be looking for another airline on this route going forward.
williamn78 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:10 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Agree with @Wozza2404 - why fly that route again, when the service offering from BA is so poor. The route isn't dry of competition!
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:17 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
It's an interesting exercise in the meaningless platitudes chundered up by Customer Services when complaining - despite the promises of the menus being rotated every month (same thing served this time round), and focussing on areas needing improvement, nothing at all changes.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Have you complained to the twitter team that its not advertised as a sleeper service? Id also mention your intention to complain to advertising standards.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by williamn78
Well, unfortunately I am resurrecting this thread as I flew again on BA2270 last night and had a similarly disappointing experience. I will complain again to BA but I am posting here a) to vent and b) to get your thoughts on whether my complaints are warranted.
Judge Judy* would get it right.

"They stiffed you the first time, and you went back for more? More fool you"

Tough justice. But probably time to accept lower standards or move on to a different carrier.

*a current televisual addiction: not my proudest admission.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:28 am
Original Poster

To be fair to me, this trip was already booked before my first had occurred!
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
As others have already said, it’s probably best fhat you now look to take your business elsewhere. Certainly you should also lodge a strongly-worded formal complaint ; whether any long-term good will come of it ..... hmm.... that’s another matter of course.

I’ve had some pretty dodgy CW flights myself - but am now beginning to think I got off lightly by comparison with your own experiences

As an aside, I was rather amused - albeit in a macabre sense - that the CSM actually felt that it was more appropriate to quibble with you (over the unacceptably lengthy waiting time merely to get something as basic as an initial drink in a premium cabin), than to offer apologies for the shoddy service.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:26 am
Suspended

I prefer the daytime AC YYZ-LHR flight. PE is more than adequate for such a short flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.