Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Seat Selection Not Free At OLCI? [Basic fare]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2018, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue

I'm flying LGW-JER on a HBO fare, and I did my OLCI at around T-23H, and when I was trying to choose a seat, BA was now wanting me to pay £8... When did this change? I tried looking, but I couldn't find a post about it. Is this another enhancement by Alex & Co?

Cheers
Old May 14, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by RJD1983
I'm flying LGW-JER on a HBO fare, and I did my OLCI at around T-23H, and when I was trying to choose a seat, BA was now wanting me to pay £8... When did this change? I tried looking, but I couldn't find a post about it. Is this another enhancement by Alex & Co?

Cheers
Depends on the seat?
Old May 14, 2018, 5:11 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

With Basic fares, BA allocates a seat for you when you check in. You may then pay the charge to change the seat. This has been case for quite a while now.
Old May 14, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: BA & Accor Gold | Hilton Diamond
This has been the case on HBO/Basic fares on every flight of that type I have taken this year. Last year I only took CE or normal fare flights so I don't know exactly when this became the case or even if it ever wasn't the case. It does say that seats will be allocated to you (rather than you can choose) at Check In for the HBO fares on ba.com and separately for the normal fares says one of the benefits is seat selection - so I think the wording is relatively clear. To be fair to BA (and Alex) the Basic fare is there to give you the option of choosing to go without the added extras for a cheaper ticket. Sometimes the difference between the two fare types in ET can be huge and sometimes it can be £10 each way - at which point you have to wonder if it's worth it for all the restrictions.
Old May 14, 2018, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm really surprised by this. I thought with the HBO fare, you were always able to choose your seat for free at check in. I knew with the +/flex fares it was 2 days before you could choose your seat. Such a shame it's come down to half pennies with BA.

I will just have to rough the middle seat for 1 hour then.

Thanks again!
Old May 14, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I think ever since HBO fares came in there has been no free seat selection.
Old May 14, 2018, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I think ever since HBO fares came in there has been no free seat selection.
That's correct - that was the case from the time the fares were introduced in the first place. It's only quite recently that this changed for people with OW status
Old May 15, 2018, 12:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Restrictions kicked in around March 2015. See, HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]
Old May 15, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Is it not worth paying £8 to not have to rough a middle seat for an hour?
Old May 15, 2018, 1:42 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Unless you are gold or silver. BA changed this rule a while back which seems fair but of course no luggage allowance which was the whole point of the reduced fares
Old May 15, 2018, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Misco60
Is it not worth paying £8 to not have to rough a middle seat for an hour?
Nope - it's not. It's way too much money. I don't have an objection to paying for a specific seat, but £8 for a flight that is less than 1 hour, is simply not worth it. A pound or two would be the most I would be willing to consider. Even then, it just encourages airlines to charge for every little possible thing.
CatchThePigeon likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm really surprised by this. I thought with the HBO fare, you were always able to choose your seat for free at check in. I knew with the +/flex fares it was 2 days before you could choose your seat. Such a shame it's come down to half pennies with BA.

Thanks again!
Hi, the only way to really get round it (doesn't always work) is to board the plane last and sit in any empty seat. Doesn't work if the plane is 100% full, but even at 90% full there should be at least 1 window or aisle seat available. As long as you are sitting in your class of travel, you shouldn't be bothered by anyone as to why you aren't sitting in your assigned seat.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

I just asked at checkin if it was possible to change seats. They said yes, no problem. I got a window seat which was actually good, as it was nice to look at the sun reflecting off the landscape as we were landing.
ahmetdouas and Takiteasy like this.
Old May 15, 2018, 1:29 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Is it not the case that if you OLCI but not print your BP then once you get to the airport you can then still change your seat for free using the SSCI machines (when they are available of course)? 8 months or so ago I did this for my daughter (she has no status) after BA had allocated her a random middle seat almost at the back and I changed it on the SSCI machine to an aisle in about row 12.

Plus my OH (no status) always gets allocated a random middle at the back but when she arrives at the airport (it has no SSCI machines) she goes to the BA check-in desk and asks for an aisle more towards the front. They always change it for her....at no charge ^

So you may have some options to change it for free....
Old May 17, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
My elder daughter has just booked on BA LGW to Dalaman, Turkey, for herself, boyfriend and 9 month old baby. BA 2562. She was given free seat selection as she bought the ticket! As it is Economy, there are no obvious places for a couple with a baby.
Are families with babies always given this choice?
Any special seats to look out for?? - it will probably, but not necessarily be a Titan flight. It will be on May 29th.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.