Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2018 London Summer DO - Friday 13 July 2018

Old May 14, 2018, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoTiersForMe

Venue
Shepherd Hall
St Thomas Hospital
Westminster Bridge Road
London
SE1 7EH

Venue thanks to gav0106 and his team at St Thomas Hospital. For those of you who are new they are employed directly by the hospital and 100% of any profits we make from events and bar spend goes straight back to the Trust for projects involving patients and staff, so by supporting this event you will be giving back as well.

Google maps
PDF map
Virtual tour of Shepherd Hall

Nearby hotels include: Premier Inn County Hall and York Road, Park Plaza County Hall, Westminster, Riverbank, Hilton Bankside, Doubletree Westminster, Hampton Waterloo, and Marriott County Hall.

Food & Drink
There will be a sofa area and BBQ on the Terrace (as well as seating in the main room). details of food and drink to follow.

The hospital does take credit cards but not Amex due to the charges they impose.

All profits are re-invested into the Trust and the venue is being provided to us completely free of charge.

A trip review of the 2013 DO at the same venue: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1474200-ba-london-do-2013-a.html (though can't promise it'll be quite as extravagant)

Hotels
Current sales
Please highlight any sales which cover Friday night.

Attendees updated to include post 218
Confirmed - 63
aks120, amanx, Barnaby100+1, bigmarley4, Brainless69, Calchas, chris1979, Chris9642, cgtechuk, Cris L, Cymro, DeathSlam, doctoravios, dylanks, Fontana, Fitch, GadgetGal, hsmall, Johnny5a, KARFA, Keep it Riel, LavaJava+1, LYC8737, LondonAndy, Lord Jon, lost_in_translation, MarkedMan, megaloman, Mirp, MrMutton, nick.t.davies, nh1980, NoTiersForMe+1, NWIFlyer+1, onobond, Pandra+1, Physci+1, pjh981+1, PWOZUK, Raffles+1, robertf999, Scallywag72+1, squawk, statsman, S_W_S, s1362083, teledude, TomMM, TPRun+1, wanderingjock, WickedStepMother, Woodbinerich, YacozA

Possible - 13
AStarr, atcer28, Godot, Forever in Seattle, KeaneJohn, MikeP, ringingup+1, Skye1, slickvik, snuffi, visualAd+1
Print Wikipost

The 2018 London Summer DO - Friday 13 July 2018

Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I'm a possible - thought I wouldn't be in country this weekend, but that changed, so depending on how my afternoon goes I'll try and make it.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KARFA
Just to confirm the tube strike which was going to take place from today to Saturday morning on the Piccadilly Line has been called off - so at least that won't affect the Do now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44785105
Today I took the Piccadilly Line from LHR to Green Park and we had a couple of extended stops and was told it was do to the train being ahead of schedule. I thought it was just an excuse for a work slow down. Guess not!
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by Brainless69

Am I the only one who googled what So Jennie is?

anyone who has flown QR would have seen it on their menu - i think?
Old Jul 13, 2018, 1:48 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Welp, I'm super late to this party. New to BA (I live on SAS, been exploring new options) and have never met anyone from FT before. I actually have a really wide transit time between flights and trains today but probably not enough time I think to make it to that side of town if it's starting at 18.30... (I'm landing at LHR around noon, running an errand to Uxbridge, then killing time until a train from St Pancras at 20.00).

Hrm.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 1:50 am

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Have a great evening, everyone.

Sorry I can't make it KARFA.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Originally Posted by AStarr
Welp, I'm super late to this party. New to BA (I live on SAS, been exploring new options) and have never met anyone from FT before. I actually have a really wide transit time between flights and trains today but probably not enough time I think to make it to that side of town if it's starting at 18.30... (I'm landing at LHR around noon, running an errand to Uxbridge, then killing time until a train from St Pancras at 20.00).

Hrm.
You can always come say hi to us at the Pre-do?

Speaking of which: Quick reminder -

ALL BAR ONE WATERLOO (1-3 Chicheley St, SE1 7PY) from 5pm-ish. I'm in a blue shirt but look out for FT signs. I'll keep an eye out for messages on here/PMs.
Attached Images  
AStarr likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by morges1

thats a shame. Hopefully will see you soon, have a good weekend
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster
Wiki-stuff

Ok folks, went through posts from 154 to this one as that was the last number the Wiki said was 'updated to'. [For some I know it is hard to update that data point along with the name and person counts...] I seem to have caught a couple new folks in process and updated counts accordingly. Look forward to seeing all this fine evening.

Now to kick some [metaphorical] Trump arse [FT will not allow my native usage of that bit of his anatomy]
KARFA and TPRun like this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:17 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TPRun
You can always come say hi to us at the Pre-do?

Speaking of which: Quick reminder -

ALL BAR ONE WATERLOO (1-3 Chicheley St, SE1 7PY) from 5pm-ish. I'm in a blue shirt but look out for FT signs. I'll keep an eye out for messages on here/PMs.
methinks I'll be into that if l survive this Fast Track line at LHR (getting my shiny new Registered Traveller card, yippee!). I'll have way too much carry-on luggage attached to me if that's cool
cgtechuk and TPRun like this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: Costa Coffee
The following travel alert has just been issued internally for St Thomas' Hospital staff. This might be of interest of FT'ers attending tonights event:
"Between the 13 July and 14 July there will be a number of organised protests taking place in response to the UK visit by the President of the USA. As a result there will be significant road closures in central London and some disruption to normal travel arrangements.
13 July events
Between 11:00-16:00 a march will take place between Portland Place and Parliament Square (via Regent Street, Haymarket and Whitehall).
Between 14:00-19:00 there will be a second march between Portland Place and Trafalgar Square.
Due to the large numbers expected for both events, local road closures are in operation and it is anticipated that public transport in the area may also be disrupted.
14 July events
Between 13:00-19:00 protests and rallies will be taking place in Whitehall and Parliament Square. Road closures are not expected to be in operation although there may be some disruption to public transport. "

If possible I'll drop in tonight - my first do.
KARFA and cgtechuk like this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by NoTiersForMe
Ok folks, went through posts from 154 to this one as that was the last number the Wiki said was 'updated to'. [For some I know it is hard to update that data point along with the name and person counts...] I seem to have caught a couple new folks in process and updated counts accordingly. Look forward to seeing all this fine evening.

Now to kick some [metaphorical] Trump arse [FT will not allow my native usage of that bit of his anatomy]
well done and thank you!
NoTiersForMe likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
Originally Posted by Amygdala28
The following travel alert has just been issued internally for St Thomas' Hospital staff. This might be of interest of FT'ers attending tonights event:
"Between the 13 July and 14 July there will be a number of organised protests taking place in response to the UK visit by the President of the USA. As a result there will be significant road closures in central London and some disruption to normal travel arrangements.
13 July events
Between 11:00-16:00 a march will take place between Portland Place and Parliament Square (via Regent Street, Haymarket and Whitehall).
Between 14:00-19:00 there will be a second march between Portland Place and Trafalgar Square.
Due to the large numbers expected for both events, local road closures are in operation and it is anticipated that public transport in the area may also be disrupted.
14 July events
Between 13:00-19:00 protests and rallies will be taking place in Whitehall and Parliament Square. Road closures are not expected to be in operation although there may be some disruption to public transport. "
If possible I'll drop in tonight - my first do.
My advice if you're coming in by tube, would be Bakerloo Line to Lambeth North station and walk up, this will be approx. 6-8 min walk.
Turn right out of the exit, walk across the road past Costa's straight up, walk under the railway bridges and you'll see St Thomas's diagonally left between Park Plaza and a curved (posh student accommodation) building.

You can go to Waterloo station but I find (unless you're super familiar with the layout) you spend a lot of time trying to find the correct exit to get to St. Thomas'
Scallywag72 likes this.

Last edited by johnny5a; Jul 13, 2018 at 6:02 am
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I'm hoping to drop by this evening too. I really enjoyed the FT Christmas Do last year, so hope to meet many more of you and say hello.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by morges1

Sorry to hear that morges1, it would have been lovely to see you!

Looking forward to seeing everyone this evening - on an LNER train down now. I hope the wrong mode of transport won't disqualify me
Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Will try and pop in tonight to say hi, sorry for the late notice (and being unable to be 100% firm, work stuff!)

Pilot37

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.