Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Crossing to the dark side...easyjet in this case

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crossing to the dark side...easyjet in this case

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2018, 1:15 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Nimrod1965
easyJet are fine, as are most other airlines. So far this year I have been on Norwegian, SAS, Brussels Airlines and Swiss as well as BA, no U2 for over 18 months.

I agree about some of the terminals though, Bordeaux springs to mind but it’s not for long usually.

Most say though, had a very agreeable flight back from Brussels today on BA, might have been something to do with an emergency exit window seat, a half full aircraft and a very small overnight bag.
Was that SH or LH with Norwegian? Never tried them but will probably be using them to OSL soon
Old May 15, 2018, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Nimrod1965
Most say though, had a very agreeable flight back from Brussels today on BA, might have been something to do with an emergency exit window seat, a half full aircraft and a very small overnight bag.
Of all the things that can contribute towards a pleasant journey, a half full aircraft is probably number one.

Unfortunately, any airline on which you can regularly expect a half full aircraft isn't likely to be around for very long.

Fortunately, easyJet's load factor for the 12m to March 2018 was 93.3%, but its passengers are still very happy. ^
Old May 16, 2018, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, LTG
Well, just boarded my return flight and it has been an interesting experience seeing to what extent eJ have closed the gap vs. it's legacy competitors (although you could legitimately argue the closing of the gap has as much to do with the evolution of BAs offering). I must say that I will on some occasions consider using eJ going forward. My EU travel is about 80% club and 20% y. I think in terms of Y, I would prefer to use eJ going forward. Assuming eJ plus (which I have purchased), the free selection of premium seats and hassle free policy of changing to earlier flights free of charge, it beats the BA Y experience for me. Have had 1C and 1D respectively. Rarely use the Concorde room at LHR or the outstation lounges for more than a few minutes so no great hardship there. But one detail was way better today than BA: boarding. We boarded from a B gate at Linate next the the gate for the BA LHR flight an hour or so later. Plane was at a remote stand. So 'speedy boarders' were put on the bus first. The bus was segregated with a barrier and subsequently, some of the general boarders were boarded in the back of the bus. The area for the speedy boarders was uncrowded. On arrival at the plane, the speedy boarders were allowed off the bus and fully aboard before the remaining passengers were. Why on earth BA can't do something similar for their Club PAX where planes use remote stands, I cannot fathom. Will still continue to do my 80% club flights with BA. Many of my flights are to ARN/HEL and the free space next to me and the vastly improved service make it on balance a product I will continue to pay for.

Anyway, on Thursday (tomorrow) I will be flying myself to Paris from Bournemouth (back Friday pm). Couple of free seats onboard. If anyone needs to fly from the s/w to Paris tomorrow...pm me!
FlyerTalker39574 likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 3:43 am
BOH

Originally Posted by brentford77
Why on earth BA can't do something similar for their Club PAX where planes use remote stands, I cannot fathom
You may well ask! BA seem content to sit back and let the likes of U2 and FR slowly erode their SH business traffic as they slowly improve their offering whilst BA stands still. Same with premium long haul too, 15-20 years ago BA led the market with J beds etc and the quality of their lounges etc - I used BA whenever I could to the US and Canada and on the occasions I used AC, UA and AA they were not a patch on BA, not even close back then. But now....

The race to the bottom is truly on.....
Old May 16, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BOH
Was that SH or LH with Norwegian? Never tried them but will probably be using them to OSL soon
It was SH. I’ve flown with them from Gatwick to Madrid, Copenhagen, Tenerife and Lanzarote (not all this year) and this year from Fuerteventura to Gatwick - never had a bad flight with them. All new -800 series Boeing 737’s (I prefer the 737 to the A319/320), on time and I find the Recarro seats quite comfortable.

If if you do decide to try them, I hope all goes well.
Old May 30, 2018, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by 1010101
I'm going through a similar thing. I've recently returned to Europe from Asia, so perhaps i was a little spoiled by CX/SQ, but I'm approaching 6 months of BA flying now and it has been pretty awful. I have the first Easyjet round trip booked in a few weeks and interested to see if it fits me better although I have a suspicion regular European regional flying is now just a case of grin and bear it regardless of airline. I did enjoy my wife's comment on our first flight after we returned. 'Where are the TVs?'
Little bump to this thread but i took the first of these Easyjet flights, and perhaps the grass is not greener.

Onboard - absolutely fine, probably better than BA with better/cheaper food and a more efficient cabin service.

Departure Airport - my fault perhaps for not realising Easyjet go from the awful T2 at MXP. It really is night and day from T1. Crowded, small and uncomfortable.
Boarding - At the gate we were herded into pens to stand for half an hour until the aircraft was ready for us to walk to it, in the rain. Half the aircraft had to gate check carry-ons. BA's boarding is a mess but at least you can sit somewhere and walk straight to the front once the herds of bag-tag wearing DYKWIAs have fought their way on board.
Arrival - arriving into Manchester we again had to walk outside, thankfully not in the rain, to the zoo that was T1. I realised I have only ever arrived into T1 at 6am before, when its empty. Not fun getting stuck between the holidaymakers, once a year travelers and OAPs getting stuck in the ePassport barriers.

It was the first flight i've ever taken where it truly felt like taking the bus. That's completely OK, but until Easyjet offer a proper FFP with lounge access, fast track lanes, seat selection etc. i'll be looking elsewhere.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:40 am
BOH

Little bump to this thread but i took the first of these Easyjet flights, and perhaps the grass is not greener.

Onboard - absolutely fine, probably better than BA with better/cheaper food and a more efficient cabin service.

Departure Airport - my fault perhaps for not realising Easyjet go from the awful T2 at MXP. It really is night and day from T1. Crowded, small and uncomfortable.
Boarding - At the gate we were herded into pens to stand for half an hour until the aircraft was ready for us to walk to it, in the rain. Half the aircraft had to gate check carry-ons. BA's boarding is a mess but at least you can sit somewhere and walk straight to the front once the herds of bag-tag wearing DYKWIAs have fought their way on board.
Arrival - arriving into Manchester we again had to walk outside, thankfully not in the rain, to the zoo that was T1. I realised I have only ever arrived into T1 at 6am before, when its empty. Not fun getting stuck between the holidaymakers, once a year travelers and OAPs getting stuck in the ePassport barriers.

It was the first flight i've ever taken where it truly felt like taking the bus. That's completely OK, but until Easyjet offer a proper FFP with lounge access, fast track lanes, seat selection etc. i'll be looking elsewhere.
Interesting summary, my biggest bugbear with FR and U2 is also this insistence of pre-boarding or rather "herding" everyone into a kind of pen / on the stairs of the gate such a long time before actual boarding. Sometimes even before the inbound aircraft has even arrived!
Old May 30, 2018, 6:48 am

I agree with what you and CWS amongst others have said about Easyjet & Ryanair using the worst terminals/piers and the queueing on stairs and on the tarmac being the biggest downsides vs legacy carriers like BA.

But, in terms of your other points (lounge, seat selection, fast track), generally all of these can be purchased either from the airline or the airport operator?or a third party. So in today’s unbundled world, just add the cost of these to the overall price comparison.

Ldnn1 likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
I agree with what you and CWS amongst others have said about Easyjet & Ryanair using the worst terminals/piers and the queueing on stairs and on the tarmac being the biggest downsides vs legacy carriers like BA.

But, in terms of your other points (lounge, seat selection, fast track), generally all of these can be purchased either from the airline or the airport operator?or a third party. So in today’s unbundled world, just add the cost of these to the overall price comparison.
And in the case of easyJet, fast track and seat selection (inc premium seats) is included with easyJet Plus membership.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy

until Easyjet offer a proper FFP with lounge access, fast track lanes, seat selection etc. i'll be looking elsewhere.
FlightClub offers some modest benefits for 10 sectors/year, giving some useful free changes to non-flex booked flights.

The other benefits, like lounge access , you just have to fork out and buy. If the low cost vs legacy carrier savings are sufficient you may find you get the benefits of a FFP whilst saving money — and without having to worry about qualifying.

I don’t fly U2 often any more, but I always pay for extras to make it feel less low-rent. It doesn’t have the polish of BA but it’s mainly OK. But some of the airports are terrible, and it’s avoiding bad airports that’s cut my U2 traveling as much as anything else.
Old May 30, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Don't mind EZY for a domestic or short hop. Quite a decent bus.
However, often BA is only £10-£40 more expensive. And with that comes fast track security, lounge, boarding first, tier points, avios and BA staff throughout. Well worth the extra for me. (Yes you can buy these things but it's a bit of a faff. I like having access to them via status alone). Makes me (rightly or wrongly) feel like a valued customer rather than cattle. Just a nicer experience on the whole.
jerub likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 11:41 am

Just remember that those of us who use LX, LH etc al also have to ensure MAN T1. In fairness, the arrival experience is usually better than the departure experience....
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
As some others here, I do dislike being stuck in the gate corridor having ‘boarded’ but not quite with U2. That said, I’d point out that those of us who use the BRU route on BA know that BA is perfectly capable of doing the exact same when given the chance with a gate which makes this easy enough for them to organise...
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Easyjet and Ryanair are nice enough. Sadly, if I add in the cost of a ticket on the gatwick/stansted express and lounge access with PP or the cost of a drink and snack at the airport, it doesn't make much sense to use them.

Although, I can fully understand why people would use them with priority boarding and seat selection. It just works out fine.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by thebigben
Easyjet and Ryanair are nice enough. Sadly, if I add in the cost of a ticket on the gatwick/stansted express and lounge access with PP or the cost of a drink and snack at the airport, it doesn't make much sense to use them.

Although, I can fully understand why people would use them with priority boarding and seat selection. It just works out fine.
isnt that a bit of an idiosyncratic case-specific argument though related to your specific local transport needs though? I presume you’re comparing Gatwick express to tube because Gatwick express is cheaper than Heathrow express and you can get normal trains such as thameslink from central London to Gatwick with an Oyster card for a fraction of the price of Gatwick express without increasing travel time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.