FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Baggage unloaded before I flew as if BA thought I wasn't on board! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1909142-baggage-unloaded-before-i-flew-if-ba-thought-i-wasnt-board.html)

Stormbel May 13, 2018 1:07 pm

Baggage unloaded before I flew as if BA thought I wasn't on board!

When I got to LHR from LIS today my BP didn't work at T5 flight connestions. I was told that my seat for the BHD connection had been removed. They had no idea why. I should have know that it was more than re allocating it.
Despite me specifically asking at Galleries South if it would affect my baggage, and being told no, nothing arrived home with me. At lost baggage in BHD I found out that at least one item was offloaded in LIS. My first thought was that they believed that I wasn't on board and did so. That in itself should have triggered issues.
Now starts the waiting game!

corporate-wage-slave May 13, 2018 2:08 pm

Most unfortunate. What normally happens is that the lead ground agent in LIS would come on board with a reprinted boarding pass after the final passenger, and a crew member would then say "If Mr. Stormbel is on board, could he please make himself known to the crew by pressing the call bell". I've seen this happen in LIS, but it does get difficult to do this if they are doing remote loading by bus, which can also happen in LIS (despite having an enormous airport).

Stormbel May 14, 2018 2:48 am

Loading by bus it was!
Your comments are exactly what I thought should happen.

​​​​​​I would love some transparency when things like this take place. Surely there are security implications? They must have known that something was wrong or my BHD BP wouldn't have been cancelled.

When looking out of the aircraft window I could see them loading luggage. I am sure that I saw another trolley with luggage, about 20 metres from the plane, and thought that one item was the colour of my main case and had its brightly colour strap around it!

Anyway today I see, from the baggage check system, that neither bag left Lisbon. One post says they are being hunted for and the other quotes the flights that the bags will be on today!

Stormbel May 15, 2018 1:07 pm

My luggage did arrive today but the Tier/Avois points have only been applied for the LHR to BHD leg. This makes me even more confident that the baggage was off-loaded in LIS (which I was told was on their system as having happened) because they thought I wasn't on the flight. Re-allocating me a seat on the LHR-BHD flight has put me back on that leg.
If the points aren't applied tomorrow (the third day) I may phone ba to see what they can tell me.
To me that raises a possible security issue. Thoughts?

NeverFirst May 15, 2018 1:33 pm

Yes this does raise a security issue, “a passenger must travel with their bags”, but probably not one that you ought to get too worried about.

it happens thousands of times a day and the only real worry would be, “is a passenger able to offload themselves secretly with their bag still being on the aircraft?” which didn’t happen here.

So it’s all good.

Stormbel May 16, 2018 4:44 am

On to b a now. I am not showing as on the flight from LIS to LHR!
Being transferred to EC helpline now!

skipness1E May 16, 2018 4:51 am

Why does it matter if a passenger travels with their bags in 2018? This was introduced before hold screening was a thing and mislaid bags are shuttled about the world every day en-masse.
These days the bombers are almost more likely to be on board with their bags even if there is evil intent.

Stormbel May 16, 2018 4:57 am

b a cannot tell me what has happened. All the Supervisor could say was that they will put in a claim for the flight. It appears that I disappeared in a worm hole. I asked whether, apart from the claim, they could tell me how I managed to board a plane but not be on board!
I expect that a simple email will be received to say that my Tier and Avios points have been added.

cupsandsaucers May 16, 2018 5:12 am

Originally Posted by NeverFirst (Post 29757254)
Yes this does raise a security issue, “a passenger must travel with their bags”,

This is a ridiculous thing now anyway. It's been proved time and time again that terrorists have no qualms about blowing themselves up. In fact. Prefer it!

SonTech May 16, 2018 7:32 am

Bags travel unaccompanied all the time. There is extra security checks that take place when unaccompanied bags are sent onwards.

Stormbel May 16, 2018 10:12 am

My issue is that I wasn't classed as being on the flight but was. The b a system had removed me being shown when I went to claim and it only showed the second leg.

DYKWIA May 16, 2018 11:33 am

Sound like your whole itinerary has been cancelled after BA thought you didn't board at BHD. They somehow fixed the LHR-LIS segment, but now you're a bit screwed.

Hopefully they'll be able to sort it out for you. Maybe mentioning EC261 compensation if you are denied boarding will encourage them :D

Stormbel May 16, 2018 12:13 pm

Thanks for your thoughts.
It was actually boarding at LIS and that trip to LHR that seemed to put me in the twilight world!
No denied boarding so no compensation.

cameramaker May 16, 2018 4:09 pm

LIS is a right dogs dinner. Very frequently the BA flight gets put on a remote stand round the back of T1 next to all the freighters. Bags take ages to come off and both handling agents aren’t much cop. I’ve had bags fail to make it there on U2 before and the handling agency weren’t interested. Ended up using their phone and finding the bags myself.

Stormbel May 17, 2018 2:56 am

Today I got an email containing this

I have checked our passenger records, but I’m afraid I was unable to confirm that you travelled on the above flight from the information we have.

Please check the flight details. If the details are correct, please provide us with your ticket number, booking reference or any additional information to help us process your claim.

When I went to the Galleries South in LHR I gave my LIS to LHR BP to the customer services desk along with the new BP I had been given just after passport control in T5. When they gave me another seat number choose to where I had originally chosen they omitted to return the original BP.

Thoughts as to the best information I need to supply? I can't believe that I am being asked to prove I was on a flight!