Community
Wiki Posts
Search

French ATC strikes 13 and 22 May

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2018, 9:38 am
Original Poster

French ATC strikes 13 and 22 May

Incase anyone is travelling this evening I’m currently on a (non ba) flight at Stansted and being advised of a 1 hour 40 minute wait to take off due to a French ATC strike today.

According to the pilot there is a massive bottle neck over Belgium and Germany.

Good luck all!
hugolover likes this.

Last edited by Joshm300; May 13, 2018 at 9:52 am
Old May 21, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
French ATC Strikes 22 May

Obviously a number of destinations in France have cancellations tomorrow and these for Spain:

BCN:
BA478
BA480
BA486

MAD:
BA458
BA464

Also these for Switzerland:
BA728 (GVA)
BA734 (GVA)
BA748 (BSL)

Last edited by Steve_ZA; May 21, 2018 at 11:45 am
Old May 21, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
The French are on strike? You must be joking!?
Old May 21, 2018, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
The French are on strike? You must be joking!?
I sometimes wonder if we should have a thread for when they aren't on strike.
Old May 21, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Is there news of further strike days this week does anyone know ?
Old May 21, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Fitch
Is there news of further strike days this week does anyone know ?
Runs from tonight until Wednesday morning according to the Independent: https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8361526.html
Old May 21, 2018, 12:27 pm

This is ridiculous. Maybe a pilot/expert can chime in, but why couldn't flights to destinations not in France just re-route through airspace that has air traffic control?
Old May 21, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by ibmman69
This is ridiculous. Maybe a pilot/expert can chime in, but why couldn't flights to destinations not in France just re-route through airspace that has air traffic control?
Time and money?
Old May 21, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: BAEC
They can and do but there is only so much capacity in the system so not all flights are going to be able to operate at the optimal times and delays will inevitably occur. Airlines will proactively cancel some flights in order to maintain some form of schedule. (Not a commercial pilot or Airspace Capacity Management expert).
Old May 21, 2018, 12:38 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
they can and will, but you try plotting a route to MAD or BCN which completely misses French airspace and see how long it is compared to the normal route

For destinations which can reroute I am sure that is what is happening tomorrow to some extent. For some
destinations the reroute is so much longer that I guess some cancellations are inevitable. There is also a ATC capacity issue, French enroute ATC will operate at reduced capacity which has a knock on effect on neighbouring centres which may not be able to accommodate all the flights.
wrp96 and florens like this.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
Many re-routes do take place which add many additional track miles and so fuel burn. The impact is that there are lots more flights not being where they should be then impacting on the capacity in ATC sectors that would normally be full of their own traffic. Hence this can cause delays, not only to the re-routes but also the "legitimate" traffic. The additional costs can make some routes unviable hence the cancellations. Also, if the action is very bad then operators are requested to consolidate flights especially between regularly served destinations-as they are for weather issues.

It may seem that they are always on strike but they do have some legitimate grievances in terms of where their jobs and pensions are going. It also doesn't help the customer when there are at least 7 different unions representing the controllers-each with their own agenda. At least in the UK there are only 2, closely linked and aiming for the same objectives and therefore more co-ordinated in their dealings with the employers.
wrp96 and lcylocal like this.
Old May 21, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Any idea if tonight's BA375 (TLS-LHR) cancellation is related? The BA App says it's related to "air traffic restrictions"

Should have read the thread before posting
Old May 21, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: British Airways | Executive Club silver
My flight from bcn to lgw was delayed about 30 mins due to atc in France refusing flight to fly over France they eventually let us use there airspace but still arrived 20 mins late
Old May 21, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: Amex platinum, LeClubAccor Plat, Club Carlson gold, Hilton HHonours Diamond
BA366 LHR to marseilles 22 May cancelled

hi all. Had a points booking on this flight. On way to Heathrow had text saying it was cancelled! Which is a bit of a bugger.

Apparently due to air traffic control restrictions. But the noon flight is showing as on time.

BA could not rebook anywhere closer than Nice so we took that. And have booked car hire to drive nice to Marseilles which works.

All bookings sere done on my amex platinum card.

May i tap
into the collective expertise of this esteemed forum and seek advice on my options? And best way of dealing with things like EY compensation if a available.

Original flight would have arrived marseilles at 10 ish - this way it’ll be around 1&00.

many thanks

Old May 21, 2018, 2:37 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If you ask BA at this stage, they will probably say the transfer from NCE to MRS is for your account, however if this was all BA could do for you then EC261 would allow you to claim the travel to MRS. I would guess BA would be in their rights to cap it at the train fare however (and assuming SNCF aren't also on strike!), which is around 40€. You can also claim reasonable communication, food and drink costs but there's no compensation. But fill in the forms showing in the EC261 thread (via the Dashboard) and hopefully they will refund your costs swiftly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.