Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Co-pilot forgets passport and delays SFO flight

Old May 13, 2018, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold

It appears that today's LHR-SFO flight (BA 287) has been delayed due to one of the flight crew forgetting their passport. They've just popped home to get it!

The Tweeters are all over it...

hugolover likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Surely BA have standby crew for this very eventuality ?

cs
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
They would, but not at the airport. From the sounds of it they made a call that it was faster for the co-pilot to get home and back than to roster someone else in.
trooper and flygirl68 like this.
Old May 13, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
OSKAR: Okay, show me. Suppose you’re all ready to take off. Suddenly you realise: oh no! You’ve left your licence passport at home. What do you do?
MARTIN: Oh, that’s easy.
OSKAR: Yes?
MARTIN: That wouldn’t happen.
OSKAR: Okay. But if it did?
MARTIN: But it wouldn’t. No, my licence passport is in a special inside pocket of my flight bag. I never take it out except at Customs; and I check it’s there on leaving my home, on getting into my car, on leaving my car, on entering the terminal, on leaving the terminal, and on entering the aircraft.
OSKAR: Why do you do that if you never take it out?
MARTIN: So that I can never leave it at home.
henners, BalbC, Thomathy and 5 others like this.
Old May 13, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Hmmm to my mind something doesn’t ring true here.

He/she would of needed the passport to check in for the flight so I don’t see how it ceases only identified once the passengers were onboard.

Surtelt the cree check in sometime prior to the boarding, have the briefing, check out the aircraft. Sort the fuel. Walk around etc.

if this really ally is the truth I think it would of been known about prior to passenger boarding.

Clearly im no pilot and am quite happy to be corrected.

cs
Old May 13, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Gold
I feel sorry for the FO - wouldn't wish that on anyone.
trooper, mike&co and princeville like this.
Old May 13, 2018, 8:34 am

I find it a bit astonishing - but that many twitter users can't all be wrong at once ;-)

Personally - my passport remains in a common place when I'm not travelling. It goes in my bag the night before, but it doesn't get crossed off my packing list (and yes - I do have a packing list for every single trip) until I'm about to walk out the door - and even then, I check where it is, get it out, open it, check it's mine and put it back. I'll do that two or three times before I leave the house.

A wise man (my brother who spent the greater part of his 20s living on exs on company business) use to tell me: "Make sure you have your passport and your credit card. Everything else can be bought". So I continue to live by that mantra - and I will triple check both of those items before I leave.
SK, Andriyko, CrazyJ82 and 13 others like this.
Old May 13, 2018, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by 20Rothmans
I feel sorry for the FO - wouldn't wish that on anyone.
Me too - cut him/her some slack.
HIDDY, trooper and mike&co like this.
Old May 13, 2018, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Me too - cut him/her some slack.
Would BA cut a passenger some slack if they forgot their passport, with no time before departure to go back and collect it?
Old May 13, 2018, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Good job he doesn't live in Glasgow.
Old May 13, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by MPH1980
A wise man (my brother who spent the greater part of his 20s living on exs on company business) use to tell me: "Make sure you have your passport and your credit card. Everything else can be bought". So I continue to live by that mantra - and I will triple check both of those items before I leave.
The driver always asks to put my backpack in the rear of the car. Uh-uh. I make sure my PPs are safe and sound before we're a mile away. The one I'll be using goes into my top pocket and the other stays in the bag.
T8191 likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 8:42 am

We don’t need our passports to “check-in” for flights, however of course we are meant to have them with us. I have seen this happen a few times. Usually the crew member has just come back from holiday or they came back as a passenger on their previous duty. Us females need to use a different handbag when we position. I check as I leave home and once I get to T5. Depending on where we are going it’s really the last thing you want to happen.
Old May 13, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Hmmm to my mind something doesn’t ring true here.

He/she would of needed the passport to check in for the flight so I don’t see how it ceases only identified once the passengers were onboard.

Surtelt the cree check in sometime prior to the boarding, have the briefing, check out the aircraft. Sort the fuel. Walk around etc.

if this really ally is the truth I think it would of been known about prior to passenger boarding.

Clearly im no pilot and am quite happy to be corrected.

cs

When departing from LHR, the operating crew would not need to show a passport when checking in. (only their airline ID is required)
Old May 13, 2018, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Our passports live permanently in the travel wallet. They get joined by relevant currency and BPs. The only time they ever leave the wallet is when have checked in, and we each carry our own BPs and Passports through security and to boarding, when all items are then re-united.

We are phobic about ensuring everything is in place, but I guess in the FOs case a bit of unusual activity tripped him up. He has my sympathy.
Waterhorse and 20Rothmans like this.
Old May 13, 2018, 8:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Perhaps they can make up some time en route. This has just been released from BA (and it has a sound track) and got Cpt Dave in to SFO in four minutes, so I'll slip it in here.

1P, Prospero, Pascoe and 2 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.