Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Co-pilot forgets passport and delays SFO flight

Co-pilot forgets passport and delays SFO flight

Old May 13, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Can I help you
If the mistake was only found out on arrival the crewmember would have been fined and returned to London on the same aircraft.
cheaper than a plane load of EC261 compensation or not?

(yes, I know in this case it looks like they’ll not be too badly delayed so it’s a moot point / question)
Old May 13, 2018, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Anybody can make a mistake, in some cases it may affect others.

When someone excuses him/herself for a mistake made, I try to comfort by saying we all do, even though some people seem to have an active memory dysfunction, or are just prone to some white lies about themselves.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Will this incident affect the copilot's career at BA? I presume that at the very least, it counts as being over two hours late reporting to the airport for a flight that he (I assume) is scheduled to fly.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
cheaper than a plane load of EC261 compensation or not?
There won't be a 261-grade delay, right?
But I thought the same thing, that 'forgetting' to mention the missing passport would save (but not eliminate) what's had consequences. It would also betray a lack of integrity.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:41 am

There would/could be worse repercussions for arriving at the destination with no passport. Yes he/she could be fined, but alternatively they could fine BA, which would be many more pennies and quite possibly taken further by the company.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:42 am

Couldn't the FO have flown the plane stayed on it once it arrived in sfo and then returned as a passenger?
Old May 13, 2018, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by NeedstoFly
Couldn't the FO have flown the plane stayed on it once it arrived in sfo and then returned as a passenger?

If this hadn’t been discovered until airborne, this is one of the scenarios that may have ended up happening. Then they would be one pilot short in SFO. It wouldn’t be a great choice to pick this option before take off.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by NeedstoFly
​​​​​No, just as per passengers transiting on same aircraft the US weirdly requires everyone to clear immigration.
​​
flygirl68 and 20Rothmans like this.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:49 am

Looks like the departure got set back just over two hours, but some of that likely to be made up inflight. If FO indeed had to return home for this, seems he was pretty fast at it...
One of the odder delays to hear about of late, and one the FO probably won't live down anytime soon.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by flygirl68

If this hadn’t been discovered until airborne, this is one of the scenarios that may have ended up happening. Then they would be one pilot short in SFO. It wouldn’t be a great choice to pick this option before take off.
I had thought of this, but undoubtedly with crew rests there would have been some time to reposition, as the FO wouldn't have been flying again right away anyway. Feasible, but as you say, not optimal.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
​​​​​No, just as per passengers transiting on same aircraft the US weirdly requires everyone to clear immigration.
​​
This is what I was more worried about... and indeed if they require all onboard to clear off an aircraft, then the only way to go is through immigration, as there is no transit zone at SFO (or indeed most US airports). In the worst case, BA would then face fines, FO formally refused entry (affecting future travels to US), etc. etc.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:56 am

Seem's the flight will get in an hour and half late, which is not too bad, a delay but rather that then a crew change where the co-pilot has to do all the checks again which would mean a 3 hour delay and BA pay's out.

As dissapointed as them passangers are, it is 3rd world problems, a plane is delayed and we all make mistakes so why not cut some slack.
Old May 13, 2018, 12:06 pm

Irritating but not the end of the world. Unless someone misses a connecting flight in which case there might be a cost.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 12:25 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by MPH1980
and yes - I do have a packing list for every single trip
I am not alone...
20Rothmans likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold) ✈✈✈, Accor (Silver), IHG (Platinum), Cunard (Diamond)
Would this have affected the flights catering or would it still be okay to serve the food once in flight? Hope the passengers were offered a few drinks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.