Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Allocated first class seat on C/Y only flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Allocated first class seat on C/Y only flight

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2018, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
The FLUB scenario causes much confusion, especially to infrequent flyers and irregular users of BAFT. And it is, of course, a frequent occurrence on LGW-Caribbean routes, as I know only too well.

CIHY highlighted upthread some of the internal issues involved, for which thanks.

Last edited by T8191; May 13, 2018 at 6:29 am
Old May 13, 2018, 6:34 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I'm with the OP on this. It is another example of BA fobbing the passenger off. I've given up on the lottery win that appears to be required in order to be the 'favoured customer' that gets to sit in the F cabin on such flights. Iberia is much better for this particular route.
Old May 13, 2018, 6:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jed
I'm with the OP on this. It is another example of BA fobbing the passenger off. I've given up on the lottery win that appears to be required in order to be the 'favoured customer' that gets to sit in the F cabin on such flights. Iberia is much better for this particular route.
well if it’s any comfort they don’t come my way on this route either. Having said that my mentality is I paid for club and got that (in fact a CE+ product since they have the CW seat) so I don’t see a problem.

If the club cabin is full and people need to be seated in Flub then BA can choose who they want, if that happens to be me then great, if not then it’s someone else’s lucky day. I don’t concern myself with who BA pick or try and think about whether I am somehow more deserving. Just enjoy what you paid for
Old May 13, 2018, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by T8191
The FLUB scenario causes much confusion, especially to infrequent flyers and irregular users of BAFT.
Actually, one thing that I agree with here, is that I would prefer for BA to treat this as they do regular upgrades, ie not let anyone seat themselves in the F part of the cabin and upgrade people unilaterally in and as required centrally. I agree that this would be less confusing and avoid expectations or sense of entitlement. Of course, in return, I would expect/hope that all of us would stop to try and figure out how we can make our way to those precious F/WT+ seats and accept that we are due a seat in the regular part of the cabin instead and will take any advance on that as a lucky upgrade.
T8191 and volar like this.
Old May 13, 2018, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA silver
Originally Posted by Can I help you
And for the OPs reference the ground staff should have fully explained that there HAD been a change of aircraft, we have a number of different B777 configurations and your flight had been changed from.

I know you were upset but for the Captain to be involved and for them to inform you that you had to move or offload says a lot about your attitude.
And for your reference WT plus is used as part of the ET cabin on this flight.
The aircraft was not changed. The plan from which I selected my original seat 3 months ago in showed J class in rows 10-15 but thanks anyway for the link to the brightly coloured pictures. If the ground staff had come up with a better lie such as a computer error had occurred and I should not have been allocated a seat in F I would have been satisfied..But I was told there was no seat 4K.
As for my attitude, determined to keep things calm I did not respond the allegation I had been rude. I was not upset. I was amused because it was obviously to be used as an excuse to offload me rather than lose face by allowing to remain in F . That apart ALL staff were unfailingly polite and friendly during and after the standoff,

In response another post C class was not even half full and there was no need to permit bookings in F BUT THEY DID.

Thats it. Enuf said. I'm grateful for responses but no more from me.
Old May 13, 2018, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mailman7 Oh, come on ... don’t go. I mean that seriously.

You started on a known, and contentious, issue. Unsurprisingly ‘some views differed’. That’s what Forum life is like!

BTW, never got FLUB despite 3 sectors where it might have happened if the BA Gods had smiled. I tend to agree with KARFA and orbitmic ... it seems to beg for some formalised arrangements. I will always remember (and never forget) the BA Gate Agent at LGW who assured me just before boarding that the F cabin was not being used ... when it most substantially was, leading to 10 or more empty seats in CW!
Markie and volar like this.

Last edited by T8191; May 13, 2018 at 7:42 am
Old May 13, 2018, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Actually, one thing that I agree with here, is that I would prefer for BA to treat this as they do regular upgrades, ie not let anyone seat themselves in the F part of the cabin and upgrade people unilaterally in and as required centrally. I agree that this would be less confusing and avoid expectations or sense of entitlement. Of course, in return, I would expect/hope that all of us would stop to try and figure out how we can make our way to those precious F/WT+ seats and accept that we are due a seat in the regular part of the cabin instead and will take any advance on that as a lucky upgrade.
Completely agree. We should never expect more than the booked/paid for cabin but this could surely be handled in a better way and your suggestion seems sensible.

Also if as the OP says the Club cabin was half full and 2 people were allowed to remain in First then I think that is poor management by BA.....it just encourages suspicions (friends of crew etc).
Old May 13, 2018, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Mailman7
..and said the food was cr*p anyway and I wasn't prepared to change seats
The stewardess then told the captain I had previously been rude to her. This was untrue but I saw where this was going, conceded defeat and moved to 14K. I did not accept the food (it is has been cr*p since club Europe catering was improved last year). I did enjoy a few cans of Tiger.
The food may be bad (personally I don't think it is) but saying that to a member of BA staff could be seen as being rude. As is refusing to move to your correct seat when first asked and trying to deceive.

Originally Posted by Mailman7
but thanks anyway for the link to the brightly coloured pictures.
And that was a very rude response to someone who is trying to help you.

Sorry OP but you have very little to complain about. I'm seeing a pattern here where your behaviour is apparently above reproach but everyone else is rude

Mistakes happen but most people are gracious when mistakes happen.
Steve in Olympia and bisonrav like this.
Old May 13, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Just as a point of detail, the captain explained there had been an administrative error, which is the "better lie" the OP wanted. Actually the probable situation is that the plane was originally allocated as a 4 class, was changed to a 3 class at the time the seat allocation was made, and then for whatever reason shifted back again leaving the OP high and dry.

I'm with CIHY on this to be honest. The language used both in the reported exchanges and here (accusing CC of lying) is indicative of a prickly attitude that probably isn't going to leave anyone on the receiving end of any discretion going. Maybe that's a good lesson - be gracious to people who can help you. No reason not to complain after the fact or ask to discuss with the CSM, but arguing with the CC isn't helpful to anyone.

Possibly something like - "Oh, I'm so sorry, I thought it would be OK because of the other passengers in here... if there's any chance of moving back later let me know, I don't need food or drink and I'd love to try the F seat", would work better than "your food has been crap for a while, I don't want it, and I'm not budging because my phone tells me I have the seat". Just a thought.
flygirl68 and LTN Phobia like this.
Old May 13, 2018, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe that's a good lesson - be gracious to people who can help you.
Our 100% policy when dealing with ANY customer-facing staff. THEY are doing something for ME, and I should always remember that with gratitude. Curiously, we never seem to have any trouble with staffers
Old May 13, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
“Sometimes we may need to change reserved seats, even after you have boarded the aircraft. Although we will do all possible to prevent this, it might be unavoidable for a number of reasons including a change of aircraft due to operational, safety or security reasons, so we cannot guarantee your reserved seat.”
etiene likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 8:24 am

I cannot believe you made so much fuss ove a seat for a two hour flight!
at the check in you were given what you paid for, but because you Phone said differently, you took up the cabin crews time and the Captaibs time.
for heavens sake!
Old May 13, 2018, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, girls, “Down Handbags”!

The OP had a rant (as do many here, on occasion). Regardless of the rights or wrongs of both the scenario and his/her reactions to it, it might be nice if we stopped throwing criticisms at him/her.

I think the points have been made, eh? Let’s try to be welcoming to new posters.
sarahuk likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
To the OP, do you know how many times an aircraft type/configuration can change before departure, no I don’t think you do?
flygirl68 likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by NeverFirst
“Sometimes we may need to change reserved seats, even after you have boarded the aircraft. Although we will do all possible to prevent this, it might be unavoidable for a number of reasons including a change of aircraft due to operational, safety or security reasons, so we cannot guarantee your reserved seat.”
Except BA don't "do all possible to prevent this," do they?

At least every two weeks there's a new thread on this board about someone who BA allowed to select a seat in FLUB, and then moved back to the CW cabin. While I fully agree the OP got what was paid for, BA consistently raising expectations and then disappointing their customers by reassigning them back to Club seats - frequently inferior ones - makes no sense it all. Its so preventable.

While I would not have responded in the same fashion, if the gate agent did inform the OP in possession of a boarding pass for 4K that the aircraft didn't have a seat 4K, and that was the reason for reseating, that would be untrue, was in poor form, and didn't contribute to resolving a customer service issue. (Not a customer service issue that requires any compensation IMO, but a customer service issue nonetheless).
sarahuk and T8191 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.