FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Tips for flying BA in Y on long haul (after many many years) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1909080-tips-flying-ba-y-long-haul-after-many-many-years.html)

81romeo May 13, 2018 2:36 am

Tips for flying BA in Y on long haul (after many many years)

Hi all,

I’ve been lucky enough to fly in J and F for business and private trips for a long long time.

This time around, pretty soon, due to lack of flexibility from my side and seats availability, I had no choice but to book a return in Y. Overnight long haul from/to SIN (BA12/11).

W was not available (oversold), J is full and the F seatmap only shows one available seat which is not pre-assigned.

I know I should just take it easy and take my flight but I was wondering if you could suggest me how to maximize my flight experience in Y with BA.

Shall I exclude any chance of a paid upgrade at the airport due to W being oversold?

Outbound is BA12, an A380, and I’m currently in 70B, on the upper deck. 70A still available.

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions and tips.

simons1 May 13, 2018 2:40 am

Load up your iPad with entertainment as a precaution.

And remember that tens of thousands of people fly long haul Y each day so it is no big deal.

Bat 21 May 13, 2018 2:42 am

My main ploy when flying long haul in Y (always been a 777 or 747) is to nab the back seats that are in sets of two - that way a fairish chance theoretical seating will keep the one next to you empty (worked past few trips for me).
Down side of course is everyone in front of you leaving the aircraft.

corporate-wage-slave May 13, 2018 2:44 am

I think I would move to 70A so as to get the side cabinet box, and hope 70B stays empty under TS (not guaranteed since it is a popular seat). If you do lose 70B the cabinet box adds a lot to your personal space.

Have some comfort drinks and snacks to hand. I don't think we see many reports of A380 IFE not working, compared to other aircraft, so I would scan the online listing to get an idea of what to watch. A couple of good movies and a bit of sleep, you will be over Poland before you know it.

In terms of oversales, BA seems to work on the basis of adding WT and WTP together, and accepting a bit of it will end up in CW, particularly on that aircraft. So I wouldn't rule it out, but I would still enquire about AUP / keep an eye out for POUG if booked on BA.com

rossmacd May 13, 2018 2:45 am

Were SQ and QF also full in J/F?

Brisbane Road May 13, 2018 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Bat 21 (Post 29747849)
My main ploy when flying long haul in Y (always been a 777 or 747) is to nab the back seats that are in sets of two - that way a fairish chance theoretical seating will keep the one next to you empty (worked past few trips for me).
Down side of course is everyone in front of you leaving the aircraft.

I wouldn't book these for the last point you mentioned. However, I have been approached to see if I would like a row to myself being the only gold in the cabin. You could also proactively ask and see what happens. I've had about a 50% hit rate by doing the latter.

Although it's a long flight, you've got one of the best aircraft for it in Y in my opinion. For the record, I flew back the other week in Y on the A380 from BOS and it was remarkably more comfortable/spacious than the 777 on the way out. I overheard some discussion from the cabin crew as we exited the plane about the lower deck, which I was on, having more overhead space and how the dimensions are generally bigger downstairs. You may therefore wish to switch to the lower deck? I found the exit row perfectly adequate.

Also- sounds like the flight is pretty full overall, so with some potential no shows, changes etc- you might get an op/up anyway. Yes, you'll arrive less refreshed but on a new BA aircraft you'll also arrive thinking that really wasn't so bad.

flatlander May 13, 2018 2:50 am

Economy on BA (applies only to WT not any other class of travel):

Never fly on a 787.
Preferably fly on an A380 (as you are).

If on the A380 sit in the upper cabin towards the rear in the exit row window seats. Board early because overhead bin space is limited back there, but it's quiet and the exit row has great legroom. The doors and slides and so on are not a problem.
Bring some snacks and a large bottle of water, while the main meal is adequate other things are not, and the breakfast can be dire.
Bring a smaller bag you can put by your feet with in-flight needs, to keep your main bag in the overhead bin (especially on the A380 at the upper back section).
Bring something to rest your head on and provide neck support; a folded fleece or small pillow.
Bring your own entertainment as needed, the WT headphones are (as expected) very poor so bring your own, the A380 IFE is the same in all cabins and quite OK.

highpeaklad May 13, 2018 2:52 am

My tips are basically take everything you can to make you more confortable.

Take several inflatable neck cushions. These are great for lumbar support and stopping that armrest etc poking into you after several hours. Don’t fully inflate so there’s a good bit of give in them.

Take food and drink - get a Boots meal deal or buy a Telegraph for the free water.

Take your own entertainment, be it a book or loaded iPad.

Facing 10+ hours on a plane with nothing to do/drink can be miserable and yes it has happened to me hence the advice.

Prospero May 13, 2018 2:52 am

Is booking a Y class ticket an option? If so, you can waitlist for WT+. As a GGL, you'd be prioritised.

Brisbane Road May 13, 2018 2:52 am

Good shout on the big bottle of water. Absolutely essential for a Y long haul- personally for me anyway as I get very thirsty.

I do find though that if you ask for a bottle, 99% of the time, the crew will just give you one anyway from J.

madfish May 13, 2018 2:58 am

See it as an opportunity to really appreciate all those J and F flights that you will take in the future.

When possible get out of your seat to stretch your legs, and enjoy some time in the CCR before your flight.

81romeo May 13, 2018 3:23 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 29747854)
In terms of oversales, BA seems to work on the basis of adding WT and WTP together, and accepting a bit of it will end up in CW, particularly on that aircraft. So I wouldn't rule it out, but I would still enquire about AUP / keep an eye out for POUG if booked on BA.com

What does this exactly mean?

Originally Posted by rossmacd (Post 29747855)
Were SQ and QF also full in J/F?

Did not consider SQ. QF was ca. £7K return in J which I did not consider as a valid option

Originally Posted by Brisbane Road (Post 29747861)
I wouldn't book these for the last point you mentioned. However, I have been approached to see if I would like a row to myself being the only gold in the cabin. You could also proactively ask and see what happens. I've had about a 50% hit rate by doing the latter.

Do you mean I can politely ask if they have a spare free row in Y for me?

Originally Posted by Prospero (Post 29747868)
Is booking a Y class ticket an option? If so, you can waitlist for WT+. As a GGL, you'd be prioritised.

My ticket is already a Y class. What do you mean by waitlist for WT+? That cabin is no more available on ba.com

Originally Posted by madfish (Post 29747878)
See it as an opportunity to really appreciate all those J and F flights that you will take in the future.

When possible get out of your seat to stretch your legs, and enjoy some time in the CCR before your flight.

You are absolutely right, next time I will appreciate more flying in J or F (especially because I already got a F return in June :-) )

crazyanglaisy May 13, 2018 3:23 am

In two words: positive mindset.

I used to do this return journey in WT on BA11/12 about ten times per year, but, thanks to FT, am usually on another oneworld airline in more comfort now. Sadly, there's still the odd trip down the back to SIN that I have to make on BA. I would also advise you to pick up a selection of snack and drink options at Boots in advance, eat a 5 course meal in the CCR, and certainly move across to 70A. That seat (along with 70K, 80A, and 80K on the A380) is one of the four best WT seats on the entire BA fleet. As others have mentioned, noise-cancelling headphones and a bag you can rest your feet are also smart ideas.

You may well get upgraded to WT+ or even straight to CW as a GGL (especially if you're travelling at the weekend), but DEFINITELY don't allow yourself to fall into the trap of constantly updating the app like a loon whilst tucking into your G&T in the lounge!

Hope it goes well.

corporate-wage-slave May 13, 2018 3:26 am

Regarding oversales when WTP is sold out

Originally Posted by 81romeo (Post 29747917)
What does this exactly mean?

It means you may still be in a chance with an upgrade, in simple terms it's the way BA fills up an A380.

Frequent flyer 101 May 13, 2018 3:33 am

From a practical point of view, a good eye mask, earplugs and a neck pillow go a long way. As does checking Experflyer just before departure to find any empty rows.

From a psychological perspective, it's easy to get caught into a negative thought loop about it.. Relative to business class, BA Y is not as good. However, it is a lot better than many other airlines. As someone who flew more than his fair share of mid + long haul low cost carrier flights, I can tell you that the BA Y seat is super comfortable in comparison, even on a 787. I'm 6"4 and I've done Air Asia to Australia before on their original Air Asia X seat about 8 years ago.

It's all about looking at the positives, instead of the negatives:
-As a GGL/CCR your airport experience will be the same as anyone flying F (and far better than any no-status pax flying J)
-You'll board first, there will be no stress upon boarding
-You are boarding from a jetbridge most likely, not a bus
-You'll get first choice of seats
-You'll be the last person to have anyone sat next to them
-You'll most likely how decent AVOD
-You'll most likely have a power socket
-You'll get a decent first meal (BA Y meals aren't half bad)
-You'll get free alcohol
-Most people on this flight are well traveled and you are unlikely to encounter passenger issues
-If anything goes wrong BA take much better care of you than everyone else in Y.
-If you are on a 787, your seat is still much wider than Air Asia X's A330 seat. And it reclines. And you'll be less groggy due to the better cabin altitude.