Will i fit in BA WTP?

Old May 12, 2018, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Will i fit in BA WTP?

Hi

Looking for some help or info on anyone that has flown on WTP with flight BA2159?

First time flying with british airways long haul. Going from London gatwick to Grenada in caribbean. Done as much searching as i can and not sure if im going to be flying on the old style 777 or the new refurb seats? Im 6ft 3 and weigh about 26st so just a bit curious to see how comfortable i will be in these seats? There not much info if the seat arms go up or stuck? Anyone with any info or pics would be great? Not flying until november but already dreading the seats and worried it going to be a long uncomfortable flight.

Any info greatly appreciated
RollAnotherFatOne likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Welcome to FT Nico

The arms are not moveable in WTP
Old May 12, 2018, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
If it’s the new WT plus the aisle armrests raise in all rows accept the front rows.

Last edited by Can I help you; May 12, 2018 at 12:45 pm
Old May 12, 2018, 12:44 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Nico_88
Looking for some help or info on anyone that has flown on WTP with flight BA2159?
Welcome to Flyertalk, and welcome to the BA forum Nico_88, it is good to see you here and I very much hope that we see more you too. And thank you very much for the question, I would very hope that we hear some constructive suggestions to your first post on this site. I'm sure the replies will help others too.

You are in a LGW 777-200 aircraft to Grenada, so while you may not find any photos on that route, the same aircraft type will be used on all sorts of other longhaul services from LGW, including what I think is it's most popular route, namely Orlando. Now from a quick search I couldn't find a directly useful photo so I'll ping my colleague ambassador @PETER01 who is better at digging out images in this area. However this shows the problem here - it's not the same seat exactly, but you'll see the issue, first 2 photos.
British Airways World Traveller Plus, JFK-LHR

I would guess that anyone much over a 40 inch waist would struggle here. You will also see how the aisle armrests work but I think only one LGW aircraft has that arm rest arrangement.

Whereas in WT the armrests do come up (not bulkheads) so if you have an empty seat next to you, or you pay for the comfort seat option then that may work out slightly better. This option allows for a second seat to be allocated to the booking and next to you, at usually a lower rate than one seat, you don't have to pay all the taxes for example.

By all means keep us informed of your thinking on this, I'm sure it will be of interest to other travellers in the future.
Old May 12, 2018, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I still can't find any Info if it's going to be a refurb plane I'm on or a old seat configuration. I can't go on my booking and pick seats either to check the layout
Old May 12, 2018, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Give the date and we can check straight away
Old May 12, 2018, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

BA2159 3rd of November flying london Gatwick to Grenada
Old May 12, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: BAEC silver
I am a regular on the Orlando route , though have not yet had the chance to sample the reburbished 777. As stated above if its an older plane the armrests are immovable. I would also like to point out that the tray table comes from inside the armrest and you may find that you are unable to fully flatten it or extend it far enough away from you for you to eat comfortably .I am not a small lady ( 14stone and apple shaped) and I find that I do not have very much room between my stomach and the tray table when it is out for meals. Just something else to consider.
Old May 12, 2018, 1:18 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
BA2159 3rd of November flying london Gatwick to Grenada
Interesting. That's a little way off, and that means you're getting - at the moment anyway - the newer aircraft, which is 10 across in World Traveller. This could change however, there is a risk an older aircraft could be swapped in but they are supposed to be cascading the new aircraft. So the WTP seat is similar to the photo in the JFK seat. WTP would have a moveable aisle armrest. But the media centre report may be a better source - look at the photos down the right hand side:

British Airways - PLUS-SIZED MAKE OVER FOR WORLD TRAVELLER AND WORLD TRAVELLER PLUS
Nico_88 likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

I'm hoping if it is the new refurb style then atleast the aisle arm rest can go up for a bit more space but there no guarantee I will get a aisle seat as it won't let me pay to pick my seat and only says I can pick seats when I check in 24hours before.
Old May 12, 2018, 1:41 pm

I'm hoping if it is the new refurb style then atleast the aisle arm rest can go up for a bit more space but there no guarantee I will get a aisle seat as it won't let me pay to pick my seat and only says I can pick seats when I check in 24hours before.
Did you change your reservation at some point? If so you may be unticketed at the moment, which in turn may prevent you for selecting seats online. Once you are ticketed, which may take a while yet, you can go online and select seats. Alternatively you should be able to call up and buy seats. The clear boxes are currently available.

glennhaak and Nico_88 like this.
Old May 12, 2018, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

How did you find that info? All they clear boxes are available seats? This defo looks like the new layout then? Hopefully if I can bag myself 2 seats the wife can get window and I get aisle and should be fine if the armrest goes up
Old May 12, 2018, 2:25 pm

How did you find that info? All they clear boxes are available seats? This defo looks like the new layout then? Hopefully if I can bag myself 2 seats the wife can get window and I get aisle and should be fine if the armrest goes up
All the clear boxes are currently available. You don't need to rush, but I would give the BA contact centre a ring tomorrow to see if you can get the right seat. Either consider 12J+K, or 16J+K (that side is quietest and away from the sun mid flight). Row 16 would allow you to recline without bothering anyone. I got that image via ExpertFlyer, a subscription service, but you may see something similar if you try your BA reference in say the Qantas Manage My Booking equivalent. It is currently definitely the refurbished aircraft since when I look at the World Traveller cabin it is 10 across seating, which is a feature of the refurbishment process.
Nico_88 likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 2:38 pm

As someone of similar dimensions and proportions, to you, leg room wise you will be fine and your knees shouldn't touch the seat in front. Seat width wise it will be snug but not a squeeze, therefor you should be comfortable for the flight duration. The seat-map advised for your intended flight indicates currently an newly configured LGW 777 aircraft with the newly configured WTP seating with flip up armrests on all aisle seats. My only concern comes when using the tray table which is located in the centre console of each pair of seats. When deployed and depending on your own personal situation, there isn't necessarily going to be a huge amount of belly room - even when pushed away from you to the furthest position. You can always use the pillow as a tray if you need to.

Old May 12, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
The thing with the tray table out of the armrest for any larger person isn't just belly room, it's getting it to sit flat across your lap. This is especially so on the older WTP seats. The newer ones have the table a touch higher and further away.

The older WTP seats are a miserable experience for any larger person. Solid armrests both sides. IFE controls that dig into your thigh.
1Aturnleft and Nico_88 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.