Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

IAD-LHR Galleries Lounge - Gold member observation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAD-LHR Galleries Lounge - Gold member observation

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2018, 4:56 am

I'd agree with the OP here - giving access to the pre-flight dining service for GCHs would seem like an easy way to offer a different, additional perk - and I can't imagine that the numbers would be significant? Obviously the TATL redeyes are gold heavy, but surely the numbers of GCHs in WTP and WT are significantly smaller than the total number of CW and F pax?
Old May 13, 2018, 5:23 am

Programs: BA Silver
Agree Jk156- Unfortunately I doubt BA see it that way. For example, one could fashion an argument that gold card holders should have a glass of champagne on offer before each flight (just an example)- but BA would argue you should be paying for CW/F. It's all the same principle.
Old May 13, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road
Berated how?
Something along the lines of "oh, no tip..?" made me very uncomfortable and stuck with wine for the rest of the evening.
Old May 13, 2018, 7:15 am

That's highly unprofessional and I'm disappointed to hear that. Granted, North American culture incorporates almost mandatory tipping at bars/restaurants but for a member of staff at a British Airways outstation lounge to say that and as you say, make you feel really uncomfortable is really poor.
T8191 likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by lostinlondon
Something along the lines of "oh, no tip..?" made me very uncomfortable and stuck with wine for the rest of the evening.
I was under the impression you aren’t supposed to tip staff in lounges, even in the US?
I would also have felt very umcomfortable by such a comment
Old May 13, 2018, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Hilde

I was under the impression you aren’t supposed to tip staff in lounges, even in the US?
I would also have felt very umcomfortable by such a comment
I've read that for US carriers, if being served at the bar in a lounge, leaving a tip is customary. Remember- tips are part of US custom because the bar staff don't really make a wage. I can't comment for any of the US carriers on this but for sure, BA would be paying a wage to the barman at IAD.

That's of course not to say he's undeserving of gratuity but to ask for it, is just downright rude.
Hilde likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 7:42 am

I've read that for US carriers, if being served at the bar in a lounge, leaving a tip is customary. Remember- tips are part of US custom because the bar staff don't really make a wage. I can't comment for any of the US carriers on this but for sure, BA would be paying a wage to the barman at IAD.

That's of course not to say he's undeserving of gratuity but to ask for it, is just downright rude.
Oh I know (originally from here) and tip in the AA lounges when I'm here, but 1. haven't ever seen it in a BA-operated lounge stateside, 2. rarely have US cash on me and 3. never, ever expect to be asked for a tip.

Agree that hoping BA are paying him a good wage as rudeness aside - in any/all service jobs - the tip-based wage system is ridiculously unethical.
Old May 13, 2018, 7:46 am

And I totally agree with your last point. Doesn't it just entirely devalue rewarding good service?
Old May 13, 2018, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Much discussion on FT generally about tipping in the US, of course. I’ve become used to the custom and, having a friend who is a Bar Manager, understand why it happens. That includes AA Lounges with a served Bar, and I guess I would automatically do the same in the BA Lounge at IAD.

However, I’m very happy to self-pour my wine ... although there was (still is?) a lovely lady who would get me refills while sat in my armchair, and even knew what I was drinking! Now, should I have tipped her as well? I feel a twinge of guilt, as she was certainly going above and beyond (whilst also clearing tables, unlike the Barman).
Old May 13, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by CKBA
Nah, 35K for me.... . Yes, Jerry is missed - life and soul of the party!
At the risk of being slightly off-topic, Jerry was a legend. His speech to the room on what to do for each of the forthcoming boarding announcements was hilarious, also the way that glasses of champagne 'magically' appeared at your table when you briefly left to get some nibbles was very impressive.

Anyone else have some Jerry stories?
Old May 13, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
No pre flight dining for non F/CW pax has been the norm for quite some time now, someone I'm sure will correct me on this but I'd estimate 8-9 years? Beforehand it was open if I am correct. It's another ploy from BA for you to stump up some extra cash for CW. I've gotten quite used to it now but I agree it doesn't exactly reward 'top tier' membership if you are a BA gold. Sort of taken the attitude that it is what it is by now.
The policy was rather slow to reach ORD and I made use of the CW dining a few times when in WTP. Unfortunately they started to enforce it a couple of years back but my next WTP trip was after the AA Flagship Lounge had opened so I dined there.
Old May 13, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
IAD lounge

If its any consolation, I find the IAD (Washington Dulles) airport lounge well below the standard I expect and have seen at other East Coast USA lounges.
The pre-flight dining is awful.
The Champagne is sparkling wine and the wine selection is incredibly cheap nasty domestic wines.
Worth avoiding if you can, IMHO. BWI is a small, quiet pleasant airport - a good alternative to IAD.
Old May 13, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Talking

Originally Posted by lostinlondon
Oh I know (originally from here) and tip in the AA lounges when I'm here, but 1. haven't ever seen it in a BA-operated lounge stateside, 2. rarely have US cash on me and 3. never, ever expect to be asked for a tip.

Agree that hoping BA are paying him a good wage as rudeness aside - in any/all service jobs - the tip-based wage system is ridiculously unethical.
Could you not just have "bunged him a few Avios" or is that for a later enhancement
Old May 13, 2018, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Could you not just have "bunged him a few Avios" or is that for a later enhancement
If I could have (pre-comment), I might have! Or had he accepted Apple Pay...
Old May 13, 2018, 7:43 pm

FarFetched1219:

I flew qr j last sept iad/doh. They were using the virgin lounge at iad. When I checked in they told me they had switched to the Turkish lounge. That is one of the worst lounges I have ever been in. It was very crowed and the food selection was very limited. As a ow sapphire I went to the ba lounge and was very warmly welcomed. The food was ok but acceptable.

YMMV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.