Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Broken seat on 767 fresh out of maintenance (G-BZHC)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Broken seat on 767 fresh out of maintenance (G-BZHC)

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
The 777s and 747s do 2 pressurisation/landing gear cycles a day, anything that does short haul is doing 6-10, they age much much quicker.

The 767 was designed as a short/medium haul aircraft that later pioneered ETOPS. The 787 is a medium/long haul aircraft through and through, it really isn't built for a high cycle environment.
I understand the logic but BNWA and BNWB are more or less 10 years older than BZHA, BZHB and BZHC and none of the aformentioned have done long haul routes. So they’re essentially retiring aircraft with almost 10 years life left in them. For an airline that’s short on airframes, I really don’t see the logic in disposing of serviceable aircraft that provide relatively large capacity at a highly capacity constrained hub. They really shouldn’t have been so quick to bin off the long haul ones either. They could be well utilised at LGW keeping those slots alive and providing much needed capacity at LHR. Instead we have even older Titan painted aircraft chugging around.

This morning we had over 200 pax on the red eye to MAD. Come October what will service that demand? Pain in the wallet, knees and back for pax with densified and overstretched A321s.
Old May 12, 2018, 3:57 pm

The youngest are 20 years old. BA are not going to keep a non standard fleet of 3 aircraft hanging around just because they are 8 years younger. Especially when they burn 60% more fuel for 15% more passengers. This mornings early MAD could have been operated by a 321 in the current unmodified config with seats to spare, let alone a densified one.

As for keeping the long haul airframes for Gatwick, they were long gone before the Monarch slots became available so it wasn’t an option. They also needed a fortune spending on avionics to be allowed to continue crossing the Atlantic.

Last edited by Jumbodriver; May 12, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Old May 12, 2018, 4:38 pm

The youngest are 20 years old. BA are not going to keep a non standard fleet of 3 aircraft hanging around just because they are 8 years younger. Especially when they burn 60% more fuel for 15% more passengers. This mornings early MAD could have been operated by a 321 in the current unmodified config with seats to spare, let alone a densified one.

As for keeping the long haul airframes for Gatwick, they were long gone before the Monarch slots became available so it wasn’t an option. They also needed a fortune spending on avionics to be allowed to continue crossing the Atlantic.

To be fair it does seem the business case is heavily stacked against them. Why then do Delta still operate 79 of them and AA 24 of them on many TATL routes?
Old May 12, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by cameramaker

To be fair it does seem the business case is heavily stacked against them. Why then do Delta still operate 79 of them and AA 24 of them on many TATL routes?
Both Delta and American have upgraded the avionics and software on their 767 fleets.

British Airways do not have a Global Navigation Satellite System installed on their 767s and navigate purely on the IRS with ground updates from VORs. The 767s also do not have ADS-B (Which is why they never look like they are in the right place on FR24) which is compulsory between FL350 and FL390 within the NAT OTS which would make operating the remaining 767s across the Atlantic costly as they would not be allowed to fly at optimum levels. They could fly off the OTS but it would also be costly as you couldn't take an optimal routing, however from 2020 no aircraft without ADS-B will be allowed on the North Atlantic above FL290.

ICAO have also now brought in PBCS (Performance Based Communication and Surveillance), which again no BA 767 has the appropriate equipment or software. PBCS requires the aircraft certified to RNP4 and equipped with CPDLC (Controller Pilot Data Link Communications) and ADS-C (Automatic Dependent Surveillance - Contract). PBCS approval is currently compulsory to fly on certain North Atlantic tracks (typically three tracks) between FL350 and FL390. With PBCS, ATC can reduce the longitudinal seperation of an aircraft at the same level down to 5 minutes (from 10 minutes) and also horizontal separtation down to 30 nautical miles (from 60 nautical miles).

This will be rolled out to all North Atlantic tracks probably by the end next year as we are in a 6 month transition phase currently, then eventually the whole North Atlantic, just like the ADS-B rollout.

Upgrading BAs 767, just with a GNSS would be expensive, let alone everything else that will be madatory within in the next few years.
BAAZ and LCSinTexas like this.
Old May 13, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: BA GGL
They also needed a fortune spending on avionics to be allowed to continue crossing the Atlantic.
Random question comes from this, did F-HILU (the OpenSkies 767 formerly of the Heathrow fleet) have this fitted as it crosses the Atlantic virtually every day between Orly and Newark at the moment?
Old May 13, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Beaulieu
Random question comes from this, did F-HILU (the OpenSkies 767 formerly of the Heathrow fleet) have this fitted as it crosses the Atlantic virtually every day between Orly and Newark at the moment?
It has the bare minimum equipment to cross the North Atlantic. However it is not allowed to operate above FL340 within Oceanic airspace.
Old May 15, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN
99% sure this isn’t happening but would be great to see some 788’s in short haul config replacing these old 76’s. Wishful thinking !
Hopefully not. It is bad enough having to suffer the 787s on long-haul flights. I realise the economics and stacked against the 767s but I would much rather travel on them within Europe than a 787.

That said, a widebody replacement for them would be much preferred over any narrow-body, if for no other reason that it is so much quicker to board.
Old May 15, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Interestingly just looked at BA456 (0620 LHR >> MAD for the non saddoes on here who don't know every flight number) ;-)

10th and 14th May was operated by an A321 which is fairly unusual. G-EUXC and G-EUXF.

I guess there's a fair chance that is related - just a slight knock-on from the fleet being temporarily reduced due to those C checks???
Old May 15, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Ahhh - actually could this also be proving flights for the densified 321s?
Old May 15, 2018, 6:42 am

Edited due to mistake.

Last edited by cameramaker; May 15, 2018 at 8:10 am
Old May 15, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
It looks like 777s will be replacing some of the 767s, even more inefficient surely?!

ARN is getting the 777 come the autumn at least.
How do we know the 777 will be on ARN ? Are they loaded in the system ? Couldn't find anything. I only ask as work will take me to ARN in October & travelling in CE (CW Cabin) would be preferable. Cheers
Old May 15, 2018, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN
How do we know the 777 will be on ARN ? Are they loaded in the system ? Couldn't find anything. I only ask as work will take me to ARN in October & travelling in CE (CW Cabin) would be preferable. Cheers
Oops, I was pricing up an ex EU on Google Flights and the flight number is listed next to the aircraft. BA777 is the 11:40 departure ex ARN. Apologies!
Old May 15, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Oops, I was pricing up an ex EU on Google Flights and the flight number is listed next to the aircraft. BA777 is the 11:40 departure ex ARN. Apologies!
Haha - yes understood ! Sooooo disappointing ! ..... cheers
Old May 15, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA silver
Originally Posted by madfish
Who’s to say it didn’t malfunction on the outbound LHR/LCA service or that it had not been reported?
If reported it would be in the maintenance log and explained to OP. Or maybe outbound staff were aware of fault and failed to report.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.