Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OpUp or equipment change? Does original cabin still show on BP?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2018, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

I’m travelling today on BA269 to LAX in WT+. I had selected seats 62AB on the upper deck.

Checking the app just now, our seats have changed to 13FG. The aircraft type still says A380 but the cabin still says World Traveller Plus.

Before getting too too excited that I’m looking at my first ever OpUp, I’m trying to intuit (without much luck) whether:

- as a newly minted Silver, WT+ is oversold and we now have lower deck CW seats OR
- there has been an equipment swap to a 52J 747 where 13FG would still be in the WT+ cabin

Looking at ExpertFlyer would suggest the former, but before hopes get too high, wonder if anyone can confirm if either of the above are true? In cases of an OpUp like this, does your original cabin continue to show on the app?
Old May 12, 2018, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Also, with apologies to the mods, could the title be changed/snipped fr the question mark? I didn’t see that the courser has jumped to the title field when typing this post
Old May 12, 2018, 12:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Congratulations on the OpUp ^

It’s still showing to be operated by the A380. And yes, your booked class often (almost always) appears as the cabin on the App BP notwithstanding the upgrade. Try MMB to see if you can select preferred/suitable seats.

Enjoy!
GM1985 likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 12:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by GM1985
I’m travelling today on BA269 to LAX in WT+. I had selected seats 62AB on the upper deck.

Checking the app just now, our seats have changed to 13FG. The aircraft type still says A380 but the cabin still says World Traveller Plus.
That bit is what throws me from time to time, but yes, if there is an involuntary OpUp the boarding pass online, and the View More Flight Information screen in the app still shows the original cabin for some reason. I glanced at someone's screen as we were preparing to board a 747 the other day, and it said 1A - World Traveller Plus - which I found amusing.

Anyway, yes BA have managed to nearly fill up two 380s to LAX today, and you are getting an upgrade due to oversellling WT and WTP sufficient to require some WTP to go forward, or rather down. There is some WT space but any late comers or irrops into WT will force further moves forward. I can see that an uncommonly good-looking Silver is in 13F and 13G, there are other seats available. though no window pairs upstairs (just the middle block). I would stay where you are now.

If you wanted a go at First, they probably will now sell you an AUP on that service. Prices in the relevant thread in the Dashboard.
GM1985 and Cymro like this.
Old May 12, 2018, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Thank you both for the confirmation! Not only is this my first flight after reaching Silver, it will also be my first OpUp and first time in CW. The stars appear to have aligned themselves quite nicely for our honeymoon trip!
Old May 12, 2018, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Thank you both for the confirmation! Not only is this my first flight after reaching Silver, it will also be my first OpUp and first time in CW. The stars appear to have aligned themselves quite nicely for our honeymoon trip!
triple congratulations! (First and foremost on the honeymoon which will admittedly dwarf the other two!)
Old May 12, 2018, 1:15 am

Ah that explains it. BA has a smart algorithm which detects honeymooners and puts them top of the list for op-ups. It’s done its job well today.

Congratulations on your various lifetime milestones!
Old May 12, 2018, 1:22 am

Congratulations

As a honeymoon couple on a first CW experience, you may consider moving to a middle pair. It is a more cosy experience, although you obviously lose any window view. But it fosters a great sense of togetherness when cocooned in there.
GM1985 likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 1:23 am

Congratulations and enjoy your honeymoon. If you really want to impress your new bride ask at check in if BA are selling any airport upgrades to F. If you score 2 you will be the hero of the hour.

Be warned though, travelling in CW or F will lead to future expectations
GM1985 and Tobias-UK like this.
Old May 12, 2018, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Congratulations

As a honeymoon couple on a first CW experience, you may consider moving to a middle pair. It is a more cosy experience, although you obviously lose any window view. But it fosters a great sense of togetherness when cocooned in there.
Thank you! We did try on the app, but when clicking view/change seats the seat map is blank - nothing seems to load. We’ll ask at the airport if there are any middle pairs
Old May 12, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver | Hilton Honors - Gold
Being the OH of GM1985, the feeling in the house is of excitement more for the fact we have been upgraded to CW, less so that we are going on honeymoon (though of course that too is exciting)

when you travel for work in economy (and it is frequent) A surprising upgrade is a joy to behold.
Old May 12, 2018, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jambon87
Being the OH of GM1985, the feeling in the house is of excitement more for the fact we have been upgraded to CW, less so that we are going on honeymoon (though of course that too is exciting.
And they say romance is dead
Ldnn1, BertieBadger, Cymro and 7 others like this.
Old May 15, 2018, 3:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Same thing with AUPs: When I refresh the boarding pass in the app, it always shows the new seat number but still the original booking class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.