Wiki Posts
Search

BA Upgrade CW to First - I Fare Class

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2018, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

BA Upgrade CW to First - I Fare Class

Hi everyone,

On a flight I'm taking next month (LHR-JFK) I've upgraded my revenue Club World flight (I fare class) to First class with Avios.

Originally, it appeared to have switched to the "Z" fare class, which would not earn any points/miles, despite being a revenue CW flight. However, when I looked today about a month after upgrading, it appears the flight is in the "I" fare class again, despite still being in First. Is this normal, will I earn miles on this flight?

Thanks!
Old May 11, 2018, 7:20 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
You should earn the TPs and avios for the original underlying fare that you booked before UuA into F. Assuming no change to your booking, even if you fly in Y you will earn 140TPs plus avios as this is what you would have got in CW.
Old May 11, 2018, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. That is what I assumed, however, was shocked when it was originally put into the "Z" fare class, and when searching I found some people didn't earn miles on the flight, even after upgrading from a paid CW ticket.
Old May 11, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mits01
Thank you. That is what I assumed, however, was shocked when it was originally put into the "Z" fare class, and when searching I found some people didn't earn miles on the flight, even after upgrading from a paid CW ticket.
There are usually will be two codes involved/shown. One for what was bought, one for the seat to fly in.

Last edited by Gshumway; May 11, 2018 at 7:45 pm
Old May 11, 2018, 8:33 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
When you UuA in MMB (manage my booking) the fare class will change to Z. However, I can categorically assure you that BA will at the very least award the original TPs.
Old May 11, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
You may also find that the number of tier points & avios you receive is incorrect - that is a bit of a recurring theme (especially when the upgrade was done over the phone). If that happens, a simple call to the executive club should sort things out.
Enjoy F.
Old May 11, 2018, 10:46 pm

Redemption upgrade will always end up in Z. The underlying fare basis of I is what you should earn. In the past (maybe two years ago) I actually saw tickets like this earning First Tier points and Avios, but I'd certainly not count on that. I Tier points and Avios should come through, at a minimum.
Anonba likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 11:59 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Nothing to add really other than a warm welcome to Flyertalk and the BA Board mits01, I hope you enjoy your time here.

It's always good to have new members here and the BA Forum Dashboard on the main page is worth a look for a lot of BA and oneworld queries too.
wanderingjock likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 2:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
UuA is a bit of a mine field. Three possible outcomes

1) As others have said, you should get 140 TPs and Avios reflecting the cash fare bucket, despite the Z coding.

2) You might get a pleasant surprise when the flight posts but that is certainly not to be relied on.

3) It might post as zero - if so a call to BAEC will get it sorted. The online form doesn’t work for this as the fact the flight has posted at all prevents you entering it.

Some say changes to the booking make it more likely to post as F or 0TPs. There is - as far as I can see - no discernible rhyme or reason as to which outcome you will get.
Old May 12, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
In my experience UUA from I moves into Z and then the F class TPs post. For an OpUp, it shows I as the remaining fare bucket and you earn I points.
A bit odd that it is still showing I, but I wouldn’t worry as you’ll still get what is expected.
Old May 13, 2018, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Also, I'm flying on BA 113 and the aircraft type is listed as Boeing 777. Any chance anyone knows exactly which aircraft this will be?
Old May 13, 2018, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
compare the seat maps in MMB against those on the BA website.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-world-seatmap
mits01 likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Something I haven't come across until the last year is after UuA over the phone when it comes time to online check in you can't do it and have to phone in because the original agent who did the upgrade didn't issue a new e-ticket number. Nothing to get worried about because it is all resolved in about 5 minutes. Just an extra step
Old May 13, 2018, 8:30 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Something I haven't come across until the last year is after UuA over the phone when it comes time to online check in you can't do it and have to phone in because the original agent who did the upgrade didn't issue a new e-ticket number. Nothing to get worried about because it is all resolved in about 5 minutes. Just an extra step
yes so your ticket does need reissuing after a UuA but that should happen well before the travel date. It’s always worth keeping a note to watch for the new emailed e-ticket or you can always use classic check my trip. If the ticket reissue hasn’t happened by a few days before travel then it’s worth calling to see what the issue is, it may be just the ticket needs reissuing or it could be a sign of other problems. If the ticket still hasn’t been reissued then OLCI may not work as you found, but I would recommend leaving it that late to chase BA.
Old May 14, 2018, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Also, I'm flying on BA 113 and the aircraft type is listed as Boeing 777. Any chance anyone knows exactly which aircraft this will be?
compare the seat maps in MMB against those on the BA website.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-world-seatmap
Even better: British Airways Aircraft Seat Maps

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.