FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Final leg of journey not ticketed....confused! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1908841-final-leg-journey-not-ticketed-confused.html)

redrose59 May 11, 2018 7:41 am

Final leg of journey not ticketed....confused!

I'm hoping that the collective experience and knowledge of all on here can maybe shed some light on what may have happened and if there is anything we should be doing to follow up on this issue. I'll try to be brief whilst stating the timeline of events so that the situation can be understood and facts known.

27/04/2017 (355 days) Booked via BAEC website ABZ to JNB with a 2-4-1 companion voucher. Paid £392.32 per pax. Booked in CW.
19/05/2017 (355 days) Booked via Japan call centre ( at 1am ) over the phone to add inbound, JNB to LHR. Advised to call UK call centre to confirm and pay necessary taxes etc as they did not have the information.
19/05/2017 Phoned UK call centre and paid £191.50 per pax.
20/05/2017 (355 days) Booked LHR to ABZ via UK call centre. Booked in CE.
13/06/2017 Booked seat selection via BAEC/MMB for outbound LHR-JNB. Paid £99 per pax
17/03/2018 Booked seat selection via BAEC/MMB for inbound JNB-LHR. Paid £95 per pax
We had confirmation emails from BA regarding all of the above and all the above amounts were applied to our BA Am Ex credit card. The bookings showed in MMB as confirmed. The only change to the original booking was a ten minute departure time change on the ABZ -LHR and LHR-ABZ legs.

Our Outbound flights went off without any problems.

On the Inbound flights we were able to check in online at 24 hours but only for the JNB-LHR leg. Once we got to OR Tambo we were informed at the check in desk that the LHR-ABZ leg had not been ticketed so we would have to go to the BA service desk for it to be ticketed. The gentleman at the desk called BA in the UK ( that is what we understand to be the case). Eventually the leg was ticketed but we were informed that as we hadn't paid for this part of the journey that we would have to pay £383 in total. I was sure that we had paid all necessary fees but as I didn't have access to bank statements etc couldn't prove it at that point. We paid the £383 via our Am Ex BA card as we just wanted to make sure we got home. We recieved a confirmation email from BA stating how much we had paid . On the confirmation email where there is a box for Voucher Type it states "Gold Upgrade Voucher". I don't quite understand why this is so, we used a 2-4-1 and are just Blue cards.
After we had landed at LHR we popped to the BA ticket/enquires desk to see if they could shed any light onto the matter. The 3 members of staff who looked at our booking were somewhat confused by what had happened, they were very helpful and really tried to get to the bottom of why we had been charged in this way. They spoke with the BAEC but still couldn't get a satisfactory answer. We were asked if we had made any changes to our booking which we hadn't.
The staff at LHR advised us to contact Customer Relations via email setting out the facts. We have done this and are now waiting a response.
We have noticed that our credit card has two charges of £93.32 applied to it, plus one for £1 from BA. There is no charge of £383.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. We are somewhat confused to say the least. Have we done everything that we can at this point?

corporate-wage-slave May 11, 2018 7:50 am

Originally Posted by redrose59 (Post 29742127)
20/05/2017 (355 days) Booked LHR to ABZ via UK call centre. Booked in CE.

Thanks for the sharing the details, since it ruled a number of options going through my mind. This bit quoted however: did you pay additional charges at this point? There would be no extra Avios, but the fees would normally go up to take account of the Passenger Service Charge you would have for using ABZ airport, plus an extra LHR departing airport fee. (It would have gone down from INV since they don't have APD). I'm wondering if that is what has gone missing here, it didn't ticket and no one thought to email you.

redrose59 May 11, 2018 7:58 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 29742157)
Thanks for the sharing the details, since it ruled a number of options going through my mind. This bit quoted however: did you pay additional charges at this point? There would be no extra Avios, but the fees would normally go up to take account of the Passenger Service Charge you would have for using ABZ airport, plus an extra LHR departing airport fee. (It would have gone down from INV since they don't have APD). I'm wondering if that is what has gone missing here, it didn't ticket and no one thought to email you.

Having looked through our credit card statements we can't find a record of paying any other amounts other than those stated. We didn't get any notification that we "owed" any more money or that we hadn't been ticketed. Should we have been told of additional charges when we booked the LHR-ABZ leg over the phone?
Many thanks for your swift reply CWS.

corporate-wage-slave May 11, 2018 8:13 am

Originally Posted by redrose59 (Post 29742180)
Having looked through our credit card statements we can't find a record of paying any other amounts other than those stated. We didn't get any notification that we "owed" any more money or that we hadn't been ticketed. Should we have been told of additional charges when we booked the LHR-ABZ leg over the phone?
Many thanks for your swift reply CWS.

Yes, they should have docked some extra cash for it at that stage, which you should have been told about, and since it was manually ticketed, presumably someone didn't press the button due to an apparent shortfall on the cash side. That's my guess anyway. So the Carrier Surcharge for ABZ is an extra £57 on LHR, and the additional Passenger Service Charge (airport charge) is £12, so my approximate guess is that you should have been asked for an extra £70 or so, per person.

You did the right thing incidentally. Even if you had total proof of all payments with you, and you had in fact paid the ABZ-LHR-LHR extras, your best bet is to pay what is asked for and then reclaimed, since it's a nightmare trying to deplpy calculators and telephones in the context of an imminent boarding.

[Did CheckMyTrip or the App give all the ticket numbers?]

Globaliser May 11, 2018 8:37 am

Originally Posted by redrose59 (Post 29742127)
On the confirmation email where there is a box for Voucher Type it states "Gold Upgrade Voucher". I don't quite understand why this is so, we used a 2-4-1 and are just Blue cards.

On this specific point, this is a bug that's been seen by a number of people. It seems to be intended to refer to the 2-4-1 voucher.

RollAnotherFatOne May 11, 2018 8:57 am

It might be a coincidence but the £383 charge appears twice - once as tax for 2 ppl, and once as the cost of the return between lhr-abz. Might be this didn't process properly and the tickets were supposed to be merged.

redrose59 May 11, 2018 9:10 am

I'm not sure about Check my trip or the app. I'll certainly check next time though. We'll be doing a very similar trip again next year so will be booking our next 2-4-1 in the next few weeks. Lesson learned. lol.
Hopefully BA will sort out exactly how much we should have paid and amend things accordingly.

redrose59 May 28, 2018 1:40 pm

I just thought I'd do a quick update.
I had a phone call from a lovely helpful young man in the customer relations team this evening ( this was after I had contacted the twitter team after we hadn't had any updates to our query).
It appears that the problem arose as we weren't charged the taxes from LHR to ABZ when we added that leg on to the journey back in 2017. After we had checked in at OR Tambo JNB we were then charged £93.32 per pax. which was made up of £43.32 in taxes and £50 "change fee". However we will be getting the "change fee" refunded as it should not have been added as the flight was "out of system range" when we booked initially. The young man said that we couldn't have known that anything was amiss with our booking as everything was showing on MMB as confirmed and that it was an error by BA. We're happy that we will be refunded the £100 owing and are satisfied with the outcome.
We will be aware of this for our future trips!

golfmad May 28, 2018 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by redrose59 (Post 29802658)
I just thought I'd do a quick update.
I had a phone call from a lovely helpful young man in the customer relations team this evening ( this was after I had contacted the twitter team after we hadn't had any updates to our query).
It appears that the problem arose as we weren't charged the taxes from LHR to ABZ when we added that leg on to the journey back in 2017. After we had checked in at OR Tambo JNB we were then charged £93.32 per pax. which was made up of £43.32 in taxes and £50 "change fee". However we will be getting the "change fee" refunded as it should not have been added as the flight was "out of system range" when we booked initially. The young man said that we couldn't have known that anything was amiss with our booking as everything was showing on MMB as confirmed and that it was an error by BA. We're happy that we will be refunded the £100 owing and are satisfied with the outcome.
We will be aware of this for our future trips!

Thanks for updating this thread with the outcome. Glad it all worked out to your satisfaction.