Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA0010 BKK-LHR 11 May / cancelled / delayed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2018, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Just arrived at BKK to check in for the BA10 to be told the pilot was sick and the flight is cancelled. About 10 people in the priority queue ahead of me which was cleared quickly, the staff very efficient and promptly moved us onto a TG flight leaving just an hour later.

The BA10 is now showing delayed in the App so it may fly afterall? Pushing my luck, but since my booked flight was significantly delayed or cancelled does EU261 also apply?

I’m overall very thankful that this has caused overall very little disruption to my travel plans

Last edited by Newtosilver; May 10, 2018 at 10:12 pm Reason: Airport codes
Old May 10, 2018, 9:22 pm

I just arrived in the CX lounge here in BKK, saw MME pull up and thought it's odd the aircraft is here but still a 5 hour delay. Must be a crew issue or something. (Edit: Should of read the whole post)

On the plus side when is does get going it does have Wifi...

Last edited by Calum; May 10, 2018 at 9:30 pm Reason: Didn't read the whole post.
Old May 10, 2018, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Ba10 : Bkk lhr

I doubt there are many of us have committed BA's schedule to memory. So it makes your thread more interesting, more inviting to us numbskulls, if you put the route in the title.

The codes of Bangkok and Heathrow are probaly pretty well recognised, so you could get away with only a few extra key strokes: BKK LHR.
Old May 10, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I doubt there are many of us have committed BA's schedule to memory.
The OPs post beginning with the words "just arrived at BKK" is a bit of a giveaway though, no?
Old May 10, 2018, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by LCY8737

The OPs post beginning with the words "just arrived at BKK" is a bit of a giveaway though, no?
Yes. But I think you miss the point: it requires a click through to the thread to elicit that information. And I'm lazy as well as grumpy and without encyclopaedic knowledge of BA schedules

Easier for all to include a salient, helpful, short and snappy guide to content in the title/headline. That's what headlines are for, no?
Old May 10, 2018, 11:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
I hope the pilot recovers from whatever is affecting their health.

Random Q - why would this lead to a five hour delay rather than a cancellation? Where would they get a relief pilot from (if not London, which wouldn’t be in five hours)?
Old May 11, 2018, 12:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by HarryKUK
I hope the pilot recovers from whatever is affecting their health.

Random Q - why would this lead to a five hour delay rather than a cancellation? Where would they get a relief pilot from (if not London, which wouldn’t be in five hours)?
Surely there are already be 6 (or 9?) BA pilots in Bangkok at any one time as it is a daily rotation and they will be on the ground for 2 or 3 days? And I think there are always 3 pilots that operate the route due to length? Could one of them be brought forward and a replacement for them flown out today? And the delay for 5 hours will be because the replacement would have sufficient downtime in BKK?

I'm just guessing and have no idea about detailed airline operations!
HarryKUK likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 1:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Newtosilver
since my booked flight was significantly delayed or cancelled does EU261 also apply?
On balance, probably eligible for EC261 but not easily obtainable. Had you asked me 2 years ago I would have said definitely not EC261, but the tide has shifted slightly towards the passenger. BA will regard this as extraordinary circumstances, and will have a valid argument for that, so you'd have to fight for it. However if you delve into the wording of several recent CJEU rulings you could have a reasonable argument that staff sickness is inherent in operating an airline and BA should be better prepared. On the other hand, to BA's credit, putting people on to TG services to minimise their delay is certainly respecting the spirit of the Regulation.

[You also need to be 3 hours delayed on your scheduled arrival time, which I'm not sure is the case from the wording provided]
Old May 11, 2018, 1:13 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by Newtosilver
The BA10 is now showing delayed in the App so it may fly afterall? Pushing my luck, but since my booked flight was significantly delayed or cancelled does EU261 also apply?
If you were moved to a TG flight then the BA flight's timing is irrelevant. You'd only get compensation if your personal arrival was delayed by 2hrs.
Old May 11, 2018, 1:33 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Moving from BA10 to TG916 changes your arrival time from 18:20 to 18:45. You get no compensation for that, merely a warm feeling of gratitude at such excellent service recovery from BA.
Tobias-UK, volar, Ldnn1 and 2 others like this.
Old May 11, 2018, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by flatlander
Moving from BA10 to TG916 changes your arrival time from 18:20 to 18:45. You get no compensation for that, merely a warm feeling of gratitude at such excellent service recovery from BA.
And that is the whole point of why EU261 was regulated in the first place.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by rapidex
And that is the whole point of why EU261 was regulated in the first place.
Is this a prime example of EU261 being a success? Prior to it's introduction, the passenger would (probably) be expected to wait for the delayed flight several hours later (which could easily stretch), and now to save having to pay out compensation is arriving a mere 25 minutes later on an excellent carrier as BA rebooked onto a non-partner carrier.

Nice to see regulation like this working as it should do
Old May 11, 2018, 4:27 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by manymany
Surely there are already be 6 (or 9?) BA pilots in Bangkok at any one time as it is a daily rotation and they will be on the ground for 2 or 3 days? And I think there are always 3 pilots that operate the route due to length? Could one of them be brought forward and a replacement for them flown out today? And the delay for 5 hours will be because the replacement would have sufficient downtime in BKK?

I'm just guessing and have no idea about detailed airline operations!
Well I am sure all these are factors. Does assume of course that the rotation has left pilots with the correct type rating on the ground not just that there are some pilots. So does depend on what metal they're operating when.

In terms of the 3 pilots thing well I guess so but it's not hugely relevant right - more a case I'd have thought of whether it's a skipper or an FO, as the 3 pilots all get used on the sector as I understand it, so 2 or 3 you're still basically looking at whether they're currently maxed on hours or not...

Or do I misunderstand the logistics?
Old May 11, 2018, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by Pascoe
Well I am sure all these are factors. Does assume of course that the rotation has left pilots with the correct type rating on the ground not just that there are some pilots. So does depend on what metal they're operating when.

In terms of the 3 pilots thing well I guess so but it's not hugely relevant right - more a case I'd have thought of whether it's a skipper or an FO, as the 3 pilots all get used on the sector as I understand it, so 2 or 3 you're still basically looking at whether they're currently maxed on hours or not...

Or do I misunderstand the logistics?
There are also B777 pilots down the road in SIN. BA will no doubt have a plan to sort things out. I hope the sick person gets well.
Old May 11, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by manymany
Surely there are already be 6 (or 9?) BA pilots in Bangkok at any one time as it is a daily rotation and they will be on the ground for 2 or 3 days?
2 or 3 days in BKK - how do those poor pilots endure that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.