Infant fare on existing WTP UuA to CW?

Old May 10, 2018, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Blue, CX Gold
Infant fare on existing WTP UuA to CW?

As per the subject, keen to check if I’ve been correctly charged:

- Booked WTP with base fare of £605, then UuA (60k avios) to CW.
- Have now just had a baby & called to add to booking.
- Told it would be charged as 10% of CW fare + tax rather than 10% of WTP + 10% of UuA + tax.
- Came to £352, which seems rather steep given I could book an actual seat in WT for that...

Thoughts appreciated!
Old May 10, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
So showing my ignorance here... but isn't an infant (i.e. <2 Years) free?
I know if booking a BA holiday it gets complicated. But straight flights they should be free no? Always have been for me.
Old May 10, 2018, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Blue, CX Gold
I wish! The blurb on the BA website says:

”You’ll pay an infant fare, which is a percentage of the adult fare, when your infant sits on an adult’s lap for the journey.”

Sadly it doesn’t specify what the percentage actually is, but my understanding is 10%. The question is, does that 10% apply against the original fare & avois upgrade cost or the upgraded cabin fare?
Old May 10, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by The_Bhoy
I wish! The blurb on the BA website says:

”You’ll pay an infant fare, which is a percentage of the adult fare, when your infant sits on an adult’s lap for the journey.”

Sadly it doesn’t specify what the percentage actually is, but my understanding is 10%. The question is, does that 10% apply against the original fare & avois upgrade cost or the upgraded cabin fare?
I don't know. So this is a guess. But surely it would apply to the original fare. They can't expect you to pay 10% of a CW ticket that you yourself haven't "paid" for.
Old May 10, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: BAEC
Smile Expensive 2 minutes

As per the subject, keen to check if I’ve been correctly charged:

- Booked WTP with base fare of £605, then UuA (60k avios) to CW.
- Have now just had a baby & called to add to booking.
- Told it would be charged as 10% of CW fare + tax rather than 10% of WTP + 10% of UuA + tax.
- Came to £352, which seems rather steep given I could book an actual seat in WT for that...

Thoughts appreciated!
Moral of the story - don't have sex after booking a ticket more than 9 months ahead
Dublin_rfk and etiene like this.
Old May 10, 2018, 9:12 am

As an infant is charged at 10% of avios could you not ask them to charge you 10% of the full avios for an adult redemption booking and use avios for them to fly with you. Even if you need to buy the avios it will be cheaper.
Anonba likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
So showing my ignorance here... but isn't an infant (i.e. <2 Years) free?
Perhaps on purely domestic flights, but not on international ones, no. Most infants have long had to have a fare paid for them when crossing a border.

When an infant is booked at the same time as the adult, the infant fare is usually 10% of the adult's (plus taxes, fees and charges).

When an infant is being added later on, the fare is 10% of whatever a hypothetical adult would pay for a new booking at that moment in time, not 10% of whatever the adults paid x months ago. I believe, but I'm not sure anymore, that you should have the option of paying for WTP+UuA Avios or the straight Club fare, whichever you prefer - but definitely at the applicable at time of asking, not historical.
Anonba and msm2000uk like this.
Old May 10, 2018, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Most carriers, including BA, charge 10% of the fare Oat least for international) in the class of service offered at the time the infant ticket is purchased. By way of example, if one had a CW avios ticket and added an infant for cash, the cost would be 10% of the lowest CW seat on the date the infant ticket is purchased. The fact that OP may originally have been ticketed in WTP is not relevant.
Old May 10, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
It used to be possible to pay 10% of the Avios or 10% of the current fare, I understand from another thread on FT that this choice is no longer available on fares with a cash component.
Old May 10, 2018, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Often1
Most carriers, including BA, charge 10% of the fare Oat least for international) in the class of service offered at the time the infant ticket is purchased. By way of example, if one had a CW avios ticket and added an infant for cash, the cost would be 10% of the lowest CW seat on the date the infant ticket is purchased. The fact that OP may originally have been ticketed in WTP is not relevant.
I would add that very few carriers permit paying for lap infant fares with FF miles or using miles to "upgrade" a lap infant ticket.

A few carriers (CX?) charge more than 10%.

AFAIK the few places where lap infants travel for free are domestic USA flights, domestic Canadian flights, and transborder flights, but there might be other exceptions.

NOTE ALSO that lap infant tickets typically cost 10% of the adult fare (for the appropriate cabin where the infant will actually be located at the time that the ticket is purchased) PLUS 100% all applicable taxes and fees. Fuel surcharges are normally included at 100% but lap infants seem to be exempt form the premium cabin British "luxury tax."
Old May 10, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP
BA is quite generous in allowing infants to be paid for using Avios on award bookings. But they don't allow there where there is a cash component to the fare, so you are stuck paying 10% of the current applicable adult fare for the ticket.
LondonElite likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 10:25 am

You will need to pay 10% of the current fare. When I took young rapidex on Concorde as a hand held rug rat it cost me over £800. Then he disgraced himself all over mrs rapidex's new outfit.
deeruck likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by rapidex
You will need to pay 10% of the current fare. When I took young rapidex on Concorde as a hand held rug rat it cost me over £800. Then he disgraced himself all over mrs rapidex's new outfit.
So the trip was memorable then
dylanks likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by deeruck
So the trip was memorable then
check in at the hotel was the fastest I've ever seen.
Old May 10, 2018, 2:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rapidex
check in at the hotel was the fastest I've ever seen.
Then he was a very useful travel accessory. Maybe you should have attempted to rent out his services.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.