Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

First time in LGW First lounge - Disappointed.

First time in LGW First lounge - Disappointed.

Old May 10, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk

Despite the intial, obvious, investment. You could, with further investment and an external project team, devise a much higher standard of service/experience. So have a restaurant/hotel lobby experience.

Yes, it ultimately comes down to the question of investment ; and just how much importance you choose to attach to providing a noticeably superior facility to your high status and high value customers (and I appreciate that those two groups may not necessarily be one and the same .... !).

I’m of the view that in reality, it’s no less possible for a top-tier, first class, lounge to distinguish itself significantly from a business class lounge than it is for a first class cabin to distinguish itself from a business class cabin ............ or a five-star hotel from a three star.

Now ..... a couple of hours or so spent waiting for a flight is always going to be a different experience than that which a top quality hotel aims to deliver during the course of say, a full week - or even a one-night stay. But quality is quality regardless of timespans.

Old May 10, 2018, 4:49 am

Programs: BA Silver IHG Platinum Elite
I thought all BA flights from Crawley airport only offered second and third class travel......
Old May 10, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by subject2load

Yes, it ultimately comes down to the question of investment ; and just how much importance you choose to attach to providing a noticeably superior facility to your high status and high value customers (and I appreciate that those two groups may not necessarily be one and the same .... !).

I’m of the view that in reality, it’s no less possible for a top-tier, first class, lounge to distinguish itself from a business class lounge than it is for a first class cabin to distinguish itself from a business class cabin ............ or a five-star hotel from a three star.
I recommend the Corinthia Hotel at Embankment (London) and then trying the Hub by Premier Inn across the way! To see your 5 Star vs 3 experience

It is certainly possible to distinguish in my opinion.
subject2load likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 4:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by quakered
I thought all BA flights from Crawley airport only offered second and third class travel......

There are some first class flights out of Gatwick
Old May 10, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I've been to both a few times. I think the Club lounge is great at LGW but prefer the First lounge as:

- table service / food to order is pretty good: I like the BA burger before a flight
- better drink offering: nice champagne on free-pour
- quieter: always pretty quiet in my experience which at peak times is definitely not the case in the Club lounge...also, because it's predominantly GCH/OWE rather than true 'First Class' there are very few people in there for whom the lounge is a novelty or treat: so people (by and large) behave a bit more normally...whereas in Club I've been subjected a few times to the stag/hen do type groups attempting to drink the bar dry, the guy making several phone calls basically just to tell people he's "in the lounge" (yawn) etc etc., the people tutting at the mere thought of my (very quiet, well-behaved) toddler being in the lounge at all - I will get flamed for this but at least in the Flounge everyone is a frequent flyer and by and large is a bit more normal about the whole thing
flyer200 likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
I really like it. I tend to be on morning flights, sit in the same place, in the corner overlooking the runway, have a nice full English, couple of glasses of fizz. It\s nice & quiet, uncrowded. I think I prefer it to T5 First lounge.
subject2load and SoggyDollar like this.
Old May 10, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I way prefer LGW Flounge to T5Flounge (which is always really crowded and looks a bit tatty now - terrace aside which is quite a nice open space) - LGW Flounge is what I really want from a lounge - nice and quiet with somewhere to sit and watch the planes and drink champagne !!
Old May 10, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
I would say the food is better in the Flounge, though the breakfast buffet has tended to run out and not be refilled often enough on some of my visits. Also noticed on previous visits that the wine is sometimes the same in both lounges (self-pour bubbles aside). Agree the LGW Club lounge is of a pretty good standard which narrows the gap, but except in cases of overcrowding, I'd still turn left.

Personally I would take the LHR Flounge over the LGW equivalent anytime, everyone's different.
Old May 10, 2018, 5:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The first time experiencing anything F can often be disappointing.

The second experience when you're more relaxed is always more enjoyable.
Old May 10, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by YacozA
I find the best thing about Galleries First is the full breakfast option, over the usual bacon sarnie.
Absolutely concur. Had a lovely Salmon and Scambled Egg when I was in there last September.
ML
Old May 10, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
The first time experiencing anything F can often be disappointing.

The second experience when you're more relaxed is always more enjoyable.
Are you sure you’re not getting confused with an entirely different first-time experience HIDDY .....nudge, nudge
hugolover likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by DorsetKnob
I really like it. I tend to be on morning flights, sit in the same place, in the corner overlooking the runway, have a nice full English, couple of glasses of fizz. It\s nice & quiet, uncrowded. I think I prefer it to T5 First lounge.
You drink a couple of glasses of wine with your breakfast...?
Old May 10, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think perhaps problem is that the Club lounge in LGW is to a very high standard with plenty of space, attractively laid out, that the First lounge isn't that much of an improvement, particularly when the OP has discounted out the permanent hot food options (and yes the food is different to Club) and the order menu. There is also better alcohol in First lounge, again only of interest to some potentially. However it is twice as big as the previous First lounge and now open much longer hours than North which used to close at 4pm in its final dire status. In the afternoon it can be quite restful if there are a lot of children in Club, and the view in First is great, in my view. Still, people have the choice, and as noted on the main Gatwick thread (in the Dashboard), if you have eaten in First then there may be case to find a nice spot in Club for a drink or two.
I agree that it isn't a massive wow factor but for those of us that spent many hours in the old F lounge in North terminal, it's a massive upgrade.

I like the quiet ambience (far quieter than GF @ T5), the view is great especially if you snag the right seat near the window. I find the ordering service very efficient and the improved alcohol selection is very welcomed.

So whilst it isn't "wow", I do enjoy my time there and in now way am underwhelmed.

Last edited by BillyBleach; May 14, 2018 at 4:50 am
Old May 10, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
As far as airside consumption of alcohol is concerned: there are no timezones!
Old May 10, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
You’ve never been on a 6am flight to Alicante I take it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.