Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA silver
LHR T3 to T5

H

h

Hi,
My daughter is flying Man-LHR-MIA on Sat. All one ticket.
She has to change terminals at LHR from T3 to T5. Does she have to catch a bus? Is it straight forward?
Would I be right in assuming bags are checked through to MIA?

Thanks for any advice
tedcruz likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 2:16 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold

A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5

More details in this thread.
Old May 9, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), IHG Rewards (Gold Elite), Marriot (Gold Elite), HHonors (Gold Elite), SPG (Gold)
Luggage will be checked through.

others may correct me but I took the Heathrow Express train from Paddington yesterday and think it’s free to transfer from T2/T3 to T5 on it.
Old May 9, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by sarahuk
My daughter is flying Man-LHR-MIA on Sat. All one ticket.
She has to change terminals at LHR from T3 to T5. Does she have to catch a bus? Is it straight forward?
Would I be right in assuming bags are checked through to MIA?
Short answer: Yes. Yes. Yes. Follow the purple signs.

You have the choice between airside bus, tube (free when using an Oystercard or contactless) and HEX. Your daughter will have to go through security in any case. AFAIK the only reason to go landside for a terminal change is to smoke or to use the First Wing in T5.
Old May 9, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by duncgor
Luggage will be checked through.

others may correct me but I took the Heathrow Express train from Paddington yesterday and think it’s free to transfer from T2/T3 to T5 on it.
Unless she has a specific reason to go landslide, she will want to transfer airside.
Old May 9, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
yes she has to catch a bus
yes its straight forward
yes her luggage will be check through as she is on one ticket
When coming off the plane she should not exit, but follow the signs for flight connections
Old May 9, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Short answer: Yes. Yes. Yes. Follow the purple signs.

You have the choice between airside bus, tube (free when using an Oystercard or contactless) and HEX. Your daughter will have to go through security in any case. AFAIK the only reason to go landside for a terminal change is to smoke or to use the First Wing in T5.
Didn't know that tube transfer between terminals was free with oyster/contactless!
Old May 9, 2018, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
My daughter is flying Man-LHR-MIA on Sat
As she is arriving at LHR from MAN and departing to MIA then she will be going from T5 to T3 not t'other way around.

But basically the advice is the same - follow the purple flight connections route
kosy91 likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by megaloman
Didn't know that tube transfer between terminals was free with oyster/contactless!
Has been for several years but you must still tap in and out.
Old May 9, 2018, 2:41 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by WorldLux
AFAIK the only reason to go landside for a terminal change is to smoke or to use the First Wing in T5.
There is a somewhat unattractive smokers' cage at the bus stance in T3, so that's not required now. And the First Wing can still be used via the Flight Connection bus by passing through the main UK Border on arrival at T5 - something I recommend to those able to use the e-gates and the First Wing before about 16:00 hrs. The other possible reason would be if for whatever reason the passenger actually wanted / needed to retrieve baggage in T3, but in this scenario I can't see this happening. Or I guess if they have an aversion to buses....
Old May 9, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
There is a connection guide here, just put in your inbound and outbound flights: https://www.heathrow.com/flight-connections

But it will be a bus between terminals and it will be T5 to T3..
Old May 9, 2018, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA silver
[QUOTE=UKtravelbear;29735602]As she is arriving at LHR from MAN and departing to MIA then she will be going from T5 to T3 not t'other way around.

Hi yes you are right.
Thanks everyone for your help.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Because she is changing terminals she will have to go through security screening again at LHR. So limits on liquids, etc, will apply - don't buy anything liquid/gel/etc at Manchester unless it is sealed in a tamper evident bag (eg, duty free alcohol). Heathrow has plenty of shopping for soft and hard drinks, makeup, toiletries, etc.
Old May 9, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There is a somewhat unattractive smokers' cage at the bus stance in T3, so that's not required now.
Non-smoker so not paying too much attention to such changes. Just remembered the lack of smoking lounges at Heathrow.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And the First Wing can still be used via the Flight Connection bus by passing through the main UK Border on arrival at T5
I meant that one. Going landside at T3 to catch the Tube/HEX would reduce any time savings of using the F Wing, given that the HEX/Tube platforms are a couple of minutes away from T3.

---
@sarahuk: If your daughter has status or is traveling in J/F, then the advice is to use the CX/QF lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.