Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

2019 Rugby World Cup in Japan – Avios Edition.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Rugby World Cup in Japan – Avios Edition.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Having tried and failed in the earlier ballots to get anything I am now trusting the current public ballot. I dread to think what the flights situation will be by then if by some miracle I do get the tickets I applied for...
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by Horatio
Having tried and failed in the earlier ballots to get anything I am now trusting the current public ballot. I dread to think what the flights situation will be by then if by some miracle I do get the tickets I applied for...
I've bitten the bullet and booked a fairly flexible I ticket with Qatar as I didn't want to wait until this ballot is over and everyone starts looking to book flights. If I don't get all the tickets I want, I can still cancel and get about 90% of the money back. I have also started booking hotels that can be cancelled for no cost.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:46 am

Programs: BA Silver
Sorted! Online at midnight last night I secured our flights back the day after the quarter finals. Was lucky enough to get the 2 J seats on the HND service too.

Funnily enough, I had determined a strategy which didn’t work - I knew the HND flight would be displayed first as it is earlier than the NRT flight. I also figured that HND is a more attractive option than NRT too. So, knowing what a bunfight getting these seats is, I had decided in advance to plump for the NRT flight... needless to say I got all the way through the process, card details etc. before it failed. But I still had another browser open, HND was still available... and it worked!

Only downside is a bit of an early start the day after potentially seeing Scotland beat the All Blacks, but we’ll be home as soon as possible on 21/10 which, considering we’re flying out to ICN on 18/9, is probably sensible!
Lucanesque and davm666 like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:52 am

Have only got Ireland Russia in the ballot so far ...waiting on lottery results for Ireland Japan. Travel already sorted: outbound in F with JAL and inbound Cathay in F via Hong Kong (both on avios). Had tried to burn a companion voucher with BA on the outbound but someone was obviously quicker on the buzzer! Still, pleased to be trying F in these two carriers for the first time.
davm666 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: BA Bronze! Avis PC
Based in Dublin therefore no direct flights to Japan so I've opted to use Iberia MAD-NRT. Bargain 59.5K Avios J class + €90 o/w. ( Great use of the 90K Iberia Avios promo. ) Slightly longer total journey time I concede.

I'm going to 3 Ireland group games then coming home. This will be my 4th RWC so I'm fed up losing at the qtr finals. However, I've hedged so I'm booked to go back for the Semi final weekend with possible extension

FYI CX Y cash fares DUB-TYO currently bargain €709!! Seems amazingly good value.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:10 am

LOL, maybe that should read AMS-LGW-JER-LGW-taxi-LHR-JFK-LAX-PHL-ORD-TYO
Using a taxi is cheating. Why not -LGW-EDI-LHR-?
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by MM00LL2
Based in Dublin therefore no direct flights to Japan so I've opted to use Iberia MAD-NRT. Bargain 59.5K Avios J class + €90 o/w. ( Great use of the 90K Iberia Avios promo. ) Slightly longer total journey time I concede.

I'm going to 3 Ireland group games then coming home. This will be my 4th RWC so I'm fed up losing at the qtr finals. However, I've hedged so I'm booked to go back for the Semi final weekend with possible extension

FYI CX Y cash fares DUB-TYO currently bargain €709!! Seems amazingly good value.
im using IB too and also used my 90k promo
MM00LL2 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 2:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by etiene

No, I got that: 2-4-1 is generally done by getting the outbound online and the return on the phone with Japan, no...?
Originally Posted by Scots_Al

Ah, gotcha! Yes, I didn’t think you could add a return to a 2-4-1 online.
The much longer story

We've got tickets for ENGvUSA, ENGvARG, ENGvFRA, and are in the ballot for AUSvWAL and WALvFIJ, so wanted to fly out Tuesday 24/09/19 and return on Sunday 13/10/19.

I rang up Japan for the outbound (LHR-NRT) at 1am 355 days out from 24/09 and secured 2 x J on a 241 after speaking to a very helpful chap. I then rang up Japan on what I thought was 355 days out for the return, spoke to someone much less helpful who didn't understand that you could add a return leg to an existing 241 booking and receive the 241 benefits. After half an hour on the phone he told me with great delight that he'd booked me the return flight for Saturday 12 Oct but without the 241 - I reminded him that I had asked him for Sunday 13 Oct but he hadn't understood and also it turned out I'd made a mistake on my 355 day calculation and was a day early. Cancelled those and went to bed!

Rang up the next morning at 1am, was on hold, whilst on hold I saw 2 x J available NRT-LHR as well as 2 x J HND-LHR. I immediately booked online the 2 for NRT-LHR, stayed on hold in case I failed, but by the time I'd got the confirmation of the booking I was still on hold and the other J reward seats going from HND had also been booked.

Rang up the UK BAEC Gold Line the next morning, explained what I'd done and they refunded half the avios (this is now standard procedure, see the 241 voucher discussion thread here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29409901-post6.html)

So now I've got two separate bookings, but successfully used the 241 voucher ^
Scots_Al and windowontheAside like this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 2:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Funnily enough, I had determined a strategy which didn’t work - I knew the HND flight would be displayed first as it is earlier than the NRT flight. I also figured that HND is a more attractive option than NRT too. So, knowing what a bunfight getting these seats is, I had decided in advance to plump for the NRT flight... needless to say I got all the way through the process, card details etc. before it failed. But I still had another browser open, HND was still available... and it worked!
I'd be interested to know why you find HND more attractive - I'm probably missing something like NRT is a logistical nightmare (my first time flying to Japan)! We chose NRT on the basis that it's a 789 instead of a 777 used on the HND route... this may have been a mistake, but hey we're booked now
Old Nov 12, 2018, 2:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
The much longer story
[snip]
So now I've got two separate bookings, but successfully used the 241 voucher ^
Ah - that's good to know, though no use for me as I'm not doing all this on a 241 booking. I've gone the multi-partner reward route, and will need to ring up early Sunday to snag the remaining leg [unless anyone can confirm that JAL availability would go immediately back into the pool, then I can bag them online and have the Gold line reconcile it onto the other booking come morning...?].

I'd be interested to know why you find HND more attractive - I'm probably missing something like NRT is a logistical nightmare (my first time flying to Japan)! We chose NRT on the basis that it's a 789 instead of a 777 used on the HND route... this may have been a mistake, but hey we're booked now
I used both last year [into NRT, out of HND twice] - HND is distinctly closer to town, though it's a single train from the main station to NRT so it's not terribly painful, just a bit longer. Can't compare the arrival/departure experiences - I'm sure more seasoned travellers can chime in there.
Scots_Al and Lucanesque like this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Silver
HND is just much closer to the city, that’s all. No logistical nightmare for NRT, but IIRC about an hour on the express train.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: BA silver,
Also if staying in TYO I have often been unable to check into room at hotels before official checkin time. The slower journey from Narita and later arrival has not proved a problem but probably would if travelling for work.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Sorry for the rather basic question, but is the best way to find relevant redemption flights to just try dummy London-Tokyo avios bookings on the BA website?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by markm1980
Sorry for the rather basic question, but is the best way to find relevant redemption flights to just try dummy London-Tokyo avios bookings on the BA website?
www.baredemptionfinder.com is your friend
markm1980 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:01 pm

Like many here, I was keep to use a 2-4-1 voucher to book out to Japan in J for the World Cup. Missed it for the dates I was after, so decided to go F to Beijing instead. I'll use Virgin miles to make the ANA business hop between Beijing and Tokyo, though there are plenty of other options also.

I only mention this because availability to Beijing is still very open for October next year (Business and First). With the new visa rules (i.e. you don't need a visa if you're stopping over for <3 days) it makes it a good way to pass through, perhaps with a stopover too.

R
Scots_Al likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.