Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Limiting BA First redemptions for BA GOLD+

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Redemption flights in F in BA should be limited to the Gold Gate Lice that deserve them.
Old May 8, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
Redemption flights in F in BA should be limited to the Gold Gate Lice that deserve them.
Nothing wrong with being first on the plane
PETER01 likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 5:04 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
Youve changed, KARFA.........
i am more than happy to be bought off! I’ll send you a list of my flights over the next few months
Old May 8, 2018, 5:06 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by teledude
Nothing wrong with being first on the plane
And first off.......
teledude likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by PETER01
And first off.......
Gate lice also become 1L door lice once landed
Old May 8, 2018, 5:15 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by teledude
Gate lice also become 1L door lice once landed

I have to say putting the topic aside, it's been an interesting thread. It's good to see folks aren't taking the mickey taking of each other too seriously whichever side of the fence your on.

Some really good banter in here as well as reading peoples views without people falling out with each other! Quite refreshing actually.

Thank you nufnuf77!
Old May 8, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Don't worry you will soon be able to trade up to Gold for six pot noodles, three bags of crisps and a rented BMW to take them home. Join the Elite for £56.50 !
Old May 8, 2018, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by PETER01

I have to say putting the topic aside, it's been an interesting thread. It's good to see folks aren't taking the mickey taking of each other too seriously whichever side of the fence your on.

Some really good banter in here as well as reading peoples views without people falling out with each other! Quite refreshing actually.

Thank you nufnuf77!
+1

But in the interest of public knowledge, I think a poll would help

a. Go back and sleep in a cabana nufnuf
b. Gold+ for F
c. "V" class for Gold in F
d. Silver+ for F
e. Tesco F for all (leave it alone )
skimthetrees likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 5:22 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, BAEC Gold
Personally think it's a poor idea, F leisure fliers of 2-3 few times a year (like me) would then find Avios completely pointless. I'd much rather see it as revenue only if any changes have to be made at all.
skimthetrees likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I've long believed that all FFPs should be rejigged so that those who earn most/all of their points from flying F should easily be able
to redeem for F rewards, those who earn most/all of their points from flying J/C/D should easily be able to redeem for business class,
and those who earn their points from flying Y and/or credit cards should have a difficult time for redeeming above Y class.

Not sure how to implement this - if any of you are bridge players and know about the ACBL awarding gold/red/black points - that
might be one way to go.
All She Wrote likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
If BA had a better J product that wasn't so inferior to it's F offering (and to many of its competitors) it wouldn't greatly bother me if they limited redemptions in this or a similar way. If that gap was narrowed F redemptions would become much less attractive.
Old May 8, 2018, 11:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
The current system seems to be working well for BA, and their focus seems to be on introducing dynamic pricing, rather than limiting F availability for the great unwashed. If anything I would guess their thinking is the other way round: Introduce their premium product to people not yet exposed to it and wet some appetite for it - may generate further revenue in the future.
Old May 8, 2018, 11:15 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I'd like to tweak this suggestion slightly. How about this benefit be assigned by passenger profitability?

For instance, a Blue member who buys spends say £800 on a peak season Y ticket to MCO would perhaps be more profitable to BA than a GGL who spends £4K on 3 ex-CAI HNL convoluted itineraries in J, squeezing each last TP until its pips squeak whilst free pouring JW Blue and LPGS all the way
Personally, I think all frequent flyer schemes should go predominantly revenue-based, and requirements to fly on the scheme's carrier increased substantially, from my personal point of view.

Full Y is horrifically expensive, yet earning rate is horribly poor compared to silly-priced convoluted itinerary in J which probably earns x10 as much (this is not an attempt to increase my TPs, as I don't even fly Y at all, but I honestly think they are probably the most profitable but worst-treated and I'd like to change that).

Airlines might start properly 'valuing' loyalty when the status is done on monetary value, given they're all run by "heartless" accountants. The best way to show loyalty to any accountant-run organisation is to show them the money

Setting the minimum Gold level at £10,000 pa for instance (maybe even a bit more) would be quite sensible IMO, and easily reached on full Y.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:13 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Personally, I think all frequent flyer schemes should go predominantly revenue-based, and requirements to fly on the scheme's carrier increased substantially, from my personal point of view.

Full Y is horrifically expensive, yet earning rate is horribly poor compared to silly-priced convoluted itinerary in J which probably earns x10 as much (this is not an attempt to increase my TPs, as I don't even fly Y at all, but I honestly think they are probably the most profitable but worst-treated and I'd like to change that).

Airlines might start properly 'valuing' loyalty when the status is done on monetary value, given they're all run by "heartless" accountants. The best way to show loyalty to any accountant-run organisation is to show them the money

Setting the minimum Gold level at £10,000 pa for instance (maybe even a bit more) would be quite sensible IMO, and easily reached on full Y.
The problem with revenue based is that you would probably be left with a top tier membership full of members who haven’t actually paid for their tickets and only fly BA because that’s their employers choice or members who haven’t actually flown on BA aircraft other than the qualifying minimum number of flightsThis doesn’t breed loyalty. My average spend to attain gold is probably less and this would push myself and I suspect many others into buying the cheapest and not choosing BA as I do now.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I would disagree on this - if you compare discount Y with discount J and then full fare Y with full fare J the ratio is roughly comparable. What may be a tad unfair is that all J is treated the same for tier points.

I believe Lufthansa are giving the same number of status points for full fare Y as a discount J, and full fare J is then double(?) the points of discount J. At the same time I hope BA will never adopt the LH approach - it is hideously complicated...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.