Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Use Avios to select your seats on British Airways

Use Avios to select your seats on British Airways

Old May 8, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: BAEC
6200 Avios to select two CE seats MAN-LHR or £34.00.
hugolover and florens like this.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:49 am

Its interesting to see the view here on FT (where it seems the majority get free seat selection anyway), and any regular reader will know this is very poor value. I am sure BA will see some uptake as they do with part Avios payment for flights now, and I suppose it goes a way to reduce their Avios liability.

With other things like dynamic pricing coming in - is this a sign of things to come with the value of redemption's (without any other instrument like a 2-4-1 voucher)?
Old May 8, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
It’s very hard to see the particular Avios exchange rate as anything but wholly unreasonable.

In this situation, BA are not even providing anything which actually incurs an additional cost on their part (as say, in the case of BoB catering items).

Would be extremely surprised if there are many takers - but maybe I’ll be proven wrong.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
My suspicion is that this may become a devaluation of BAEC status by stealth. Gold and Silver cardholders might have fewer seat options because Blue members are using (poor value) Avios because they are - to an infrequent leisure traveller - often regarded as worthless.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by slayers_88
Tried quickly for a LCY-ZRH trip:

According to the calculator a blue on a cheap economy LCY-ZRH will earn 125 Avios. After displaying loyalty on a whopping 25 one-way flights on the journey, they'll have 3125 Avios and can reward themselves with a single "free" seat selection (on their next fully paid-for flight).

If you're a consumer used to "buy 9 coffees and the 10th is on us" style loyalty programs that scant benefit might, justifiably, seem a little mean.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lavajava
Its interesting to see the view here on FT (where it seems the majority get free seat selection anyway), and any regular reader will know this is very poor value. I am sure BA will see some uptake as they do with part Avios payment for flights now, and I suppose it goes a way to reduce their Avios liability.

With other things like dynamic pricing coming in - is this a sign of things to come with the value of redemption's (without any other instrument like a 2-4-1 voucher)?
Indeed.
Joe Public without status just doesn't think like your average BAEC forumite.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: British Airways
Originally Posted by willmatt
According to the calculator a blue on a cheap economy LCY-ZRH will earn 125 Avios. After displaying loyalty on a whopping 25 one-way flights on the journey, they'll have 3125 Avios and can reward themselves with a single "free" seat selection (on their next fully paid-for flight).

If you're a consumer used to "buy 9 coffees and the 10th is on us" style loyalty programs that scant benefit might, justifiably, seem a little mean.
To be fair, those 25 one ways will give them bronze status and they'll be able to select their seats for free 7 days out
Old May 8, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: BA, JAL
Continued erosion of benefits. Yet another reason not to be a loyal member and just a member.
Now I have to fight twice as hard to get preferred seats, just so the airline can make a bit more money off a supposed perk. Definitely a thumbs down..
Old May 8, 2018, 8:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Joe Public without status just doesn't think like your average BAEC forumite.
I think that's very true HIDDY, we probably think different to the vast, vast majority of folks. People I know who have Avios think it's good they can reduce the cash price of flights by using Avios as part payment.

In this tiny corner of the internet and in this unique tiny bubble of the BA Forum, I think it's fair to say how much we like to extract as much use of Avios as possible from many sources just isn't on Joe Public's horizon or train of thought.

We're not as important as many would like to think we are and BA are aware of Flyertalk but does it have any real influence? I would say not and it's more of a feedback site for them looking through the hyperbole and seeing if there are real issues.
HIDDY likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Lumma
To be fair, those 25 one ways will give them bronze status and they'll be able to select their seats for free 7 days out
Only if they do all 25 in one collection year!
Old May 8, 2018, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
My suspicion is that this may become a devaluation of BAEC status by stealth. Gold and Silver cardholders might have fewer seat options because Blue members are using (poor value) Avios because they are - to an infrequent leisure traveller - often regarded as worthless.
That was my immediate reaction as a GCH. Our limited selection of ‘preferred seats’ are at risk of being occupied by ‘infrequent flyer’ Blues!!
lostinlondon likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 8:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by T8191
That was my immediate reaction as a GCH. Our limited selection of ‘preferred seats’ are at risk of being occupied by ‘infrequent flyer’ Blues!!
But, but, but, surely that means these greedy Blues aren't taking all your redemption flights away? They will have spent it all on seating? Never mind the minor detail that some seats are kept back for Golds/Emeralds.

I do suspect some people really can't see the positives of anything that comes from BA. Sure the redemption value is poor, but at least we will now know what to say when someone moans about having to pay for seating on BA.
Old May 8, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
Am just hoping the (seemingly) ridiculous redemption rates discourage such a behaviour, at least in some cases. Would be interesting to know if one can use Avios for seats such as 1A, LH exit rows, etc.
Old May 8, 2018, 8:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
But, but, but, surely that means these greedy Blues aren't taking all your redemption flights away? They will have spent it all on seating? Never mind the minor detail that some seats are kept back for Golds/Emeralds.

I do suspect some people really can't see the positives of anything that comes from BA. Sure the redemption value is poor, but at least we will now know what to say when someone moans about having to pay for seating on BA.
Indeed. The way I see it is it is another option, not mandatory, for those cash poor but Avios rich (or have a reasonable stash through other means where they get them for free anyhow).

Personally even if I didn't have status I would still use them for UuA from WT+ to CW which is still very much the sweet spot.
Old May 8, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: BA GGL
Abysmal value.

​​

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.