Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

When Politeness Causes A Further Breakdown In Diplomatic Relations

When Politeness Causes A Further Breakdown In Diplomatic Relations

Old May 9, 2018, 12:28 pm

I think the point here is not whether someone NEEDS to get somewhere a minute quicker (although as pointed out that could make a heck of a difference at LGW if catching a train). It's more a case of what is the problem leaving a little space or at least allowing them to go past if they desire? I see no issue with that unless the luggage is so large that it can't be made to fit on the escalator without taking up the whole width, and in that case I wonder if it should have been Hand Baggage anyway. I always get on the step and then pull the bag behind me so that it sits neatly on the next step, allowing space on my left/right if someone wants to pass. No big deal. It's called being considerate and mature. Not an arrogant man-child.
lukew likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Why was B in such a rush to get to the front when the flight arrived 50 minutes early?
People in a hurry can also be very annoying at times.
As someone who connects most of the time I travel, a minute often makes a big difference. 50 minutes early may actually mean that you can catch the previous connection (easy if you have a flexible ticket and are travelling HBO) and spend more time with your partner and/or kids. In any case, I guess why is noone's business really as others mentioned, the request seemed polite enough.
lukew likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:00 pm

I'm with Man A here, at least as far as moving aside on an escalator is concerned. Carrying luggage, even hand luggage (which may of course consist of several huge bags), on an escalator requires care and attention and if people are insisting in pushing past, even if politely asking, then it is they that are causing a problem both to the person in front of them and the rest of the people on the escalator.

Now, as for people standing still on travelators, that's another thing altogether (unless you want a nice photo of an aeroplane for your collection).

Is there one or two Ls in travellator?
Old May 9, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Greenpen
I'm with Man A here, at least as far as moving aside on an escalator is concerned. Carrying luggage, even hand luggage (which may of course consist of several huge bags), on an escalator requires care and attention and if people are insisting in pushing past, even if politely asking, then it is they that are causing a problem both to the person in front of them and the rest of the people on the escalator.

Surely anyone with that much luggage is better off with the lift?
AlanA, lukew and wrp96 like this.
Old May 9, 2018, 2:17 pm
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by Greenpen

Now, as for people standing still on travelators, that's another thing altogether (unless you want a nice photo of an aeroplane for your collection).

Is there one or two Ls in travellator?
Originally Posted by GadgetGal
Surely anyone with that much luggage is better off with the lift?
For clarity, male A had one piece of cabin luggage, that being a roller case, which wasn’t anyway near the BA size limit.

S
Old May 10, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
I am not sure that carrying cabin baggage on an escalator requires that much care and attention. Just wheel it on, pick a step and stand there until the end. If you don't normally just fall over on level ground any other time you're probably ok ;-)

I manage escalators and steps with my little-un in his buggy if I have to take him to the back up nursery near my office (which can happen on occasion) and that's two tube lines in rush hour. And I can still let people pass me usually.
Scots_Al and missdimeaner like this.
Old May 10, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by GaryK84
This is what I thought as well! There were two reports that sounded very similar:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...2&postcount=83
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29685360-post87.html

Surely it's just a matter of time that the situation escalates to the point where the police gets involved?
I was just about to post the same as it does sound very similar to the incident I witnessed. I am delighted to say I have not been on the same flight as that individual again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.