Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why are BA holidays insisting I return the car 2 hours before the flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2018, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, BA Silver

On BA Holidays flight+car bookings, can you force the system to allocate the car in a duration of a multiple of 24 hours? (On the basis that car hire is charged in 24-hour blocks and 30 hours costs the same as 48 hours).

BA Holidays assume you will return the car 2 hours before the flight, which is too conservative if you know the airport, or if the flight is going to be late and you want more time doing whatever you are doing.
Old May 7, 2018, 12:55 pm

I've managed to adjust the return times by using the customise trip. When you add the car portion you can then adjust the times when selecting the type vehicle. Posting from phone, so hopefully formats OK.

Wanderlust888 and Palmer like this.
Old May 7, 2018, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
You’ll get half hour grace too which takes you to 90mins

Wouldn't go tighter than that myself anywhere
Wanderlust888 likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 1:54 pm

I just ask for the drop off time to be amended when you collect the car.
golfmad and Wanderlust888 like this.
Old May 7, 2018, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Wanderlust888
BA Holidays assume you will return the car 2 hours before the flight, which is too conservative if you know the airport, or if the flight is going to be late and you want more time doing whatever you are doing.
Actually not.

First - T-2 is not conservative, but adequate.

Second - even the flights are late, you should arrive at the airport per the scheduled time.

Originally Posted by paulaf
I just ask for the drop off time to be amended when you collect the car.
Rental car from travel package is usually in a form of voucher. It can't be altered unless the entire rental gets re-priced.
Old May 7, 2018, 2:40 pm

Also beware that there have been reports of Avis levying an extra fee if a car is returned too early...!
Old May 7, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Wanderlust888
On BA Holidays flight+car bookings, can you force the system to allocate the car in a duration of a multiple of 24 hours? (On the basis that car hire is charged in 24-hour blocks and 30 hours costs the same as 48 hours).

On the first page where you enter the flight details, At the car hire section there is an option "I need a car for part of my trip" You can then enter your desired times
Old May 8, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Still does not deflect from the fact that BA automatically say two hours despite the step around above. The Ops question was why and it is a good question.
Old May 8, 2018, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by nivsy
Still does not deflect from the fact that BA automatically say two hours despite the step around above. The Ops question was why and it is a good question.
Because it's sensible, and the vast majority of punters would probably be returning the car at or before 2 hours prior to their flight?

The grace period allows for anyone arriving up to 90 minutes before.

I think it's a reasonable assumption to make. I don't understand why everyone's getting so upset!
Old May 8, 2018, 9:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by Virazuno
Also beware that there have been reports of Avis levying an extra fee if a car is returned too early...!
Wow, really? I will return a car 1h early this Friday at ORD because our AA flight time changed...
Old May 8, 2018, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, BA Silver
Thank you for your replies and I appreciate the workarounds from kwisstan and Knickam. However this seems to give me (publicly-available fares plus cost of rental) minus a small discount = still expensive.

Doing it the standard way seems to draw fares from invisible cheap fare buckets and produce very heavy discounts.
eg LHR - HAJ this weekend
If booked separately £597.40
Total discount - £359.40
Total price £238

In an example such as this if I saw same-day Avios availability on a later flight back, I would be tempted to take a risk and arrive at the airport 45 mins before the originally-intended flight, in the knowledge that if I missed it I could still get home cheaply. But the 2 hour rule on the return of the car effectively prevents me doing this.

I think that asking the counter staff when I take the car to amend the return time, might possibly work as my limited experience is that the Avis counter don't recognise this as a specially-discounted "BA Holidays" booking, and just treat it as any other Avis Preferred booking (providing you enter your Wizard number when booking).
kwisstan likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 1:08 pm

You could book as normal and then phone up and ask for the timing to be slightly altered?

For such a small change, I doubt they'd levy any charges.
Old May 8, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: OW Saphire, Club Carlson Gold
This is a very sensible thing to do IMO, since i know of quite a few people at work who have received "late" return charges after getting caught up in traffic but still making the flight in exactly the same circumstances (booking a rental return time 2 hours before flight).

an EARLY return charge... wow that's a new one on me!
Old May 8, 2018, 6:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There can effectively be an early return fee if you rent a car for a week and then return it too early for the weekly rate and the rental gets kicked to a much more expensive daily rate. There can also be time of return restrictions on weekend rates so that a weekend can't be Thursday afternoon to Saturday morning, for example.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by smala01
an EARLY return charge... wow that's a new one on me!
Early return charge exists for a while...I was charged once by the stupid Avis.

That's why I will never rent an Avis car unless it is not an option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.