FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA 704 LHR-VIE 2018-5-8 Cancelled (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1908104-ba-704-lhr-vie-2018-5-8-cancelled.html)

ExAbz May 7, 18 7:45 am

BA 704 LHR-VIE 2018-5-8 Cancelled

Daughter and boyfriend only found out it's cancelled when trying to check-in (not FTers so hadn't been checking), no notice from BA. Been offered seats on the 706, arriving in Vienna 3:30 later than planned.

Any clues as to why it's been cancelled, to see if EC261 applies?

BertieBadger May 7, 18 8:18 am

Originally Posted by ExAbz (Post 29724680)
Daughter and boyfriend only found out it's cancelled when trying to check-in (not FTers so hadn't been checking), no notice from BA. Been offered seats on the 706, arriving in Vienna 3:30 later than planned.

Any clues as to why it's been cancelled, to see if EC261 applies?

ExpertFlyer reports the cancellation code as "INDU" which I think means Industrial Action (but welcome corrections). I'm afraid I'll have to leave it to one the EC261 experts to comment on the implications of that if indeed that is the reason.

DOBA704/08MAY
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA 704 1 TU 08MAY18
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

FLIGHT CANCELLED 0403
INDU
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA 704 1 TU 08MAY18

Can I help you May 7, 18 8:26 am

I cannot see any reasons internally why it is cancelled but Industrial Action seems unlikely.

BertieBadger May 7, 18 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 29724831)
I cannot see any reasons internally why it is cancelled but Industrial Action seems unlikely.

That did indeed strike me (it also seems to be only 1 of the 5 flights cancelled)

I was going off a previous post in this forum which had identified "INDU" as that meaning which I why I stressed I wasn't sure. If anyone knows the meaning of said code, it would be helpful :)

pumatwin May 8, 18 10:06 am

On a related note work colleague was meant to be flying back on BA 705. Can anyone confirm "INDU" is Industrial ACTION?

FLIGHT CANCELLED 0403
INDU
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA 705 0 TU 08MAY18
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
VIE 1930 TU JCDRI/M YB/G 320 2:20

KARFA May 8, 18 10:33 am

Originally Posted by pumatwin (Post 29729641)
On a related note work colleague was meant to be flying back on BA 705. Can anyone confirm "INDU" is Industrial ACTION?

there is an italian ATC strike today, so as BA705 is VIE-LHR that would certainly seem likely INDU means industrial action.

EDIT: ooops, had Venice in mind as VIE rather than Vienna. possibly a knock on from Italy, I know Vienna is not in Italy btw!

ExAbz May 8, 18 10:44 am

Daughter was told at LHR today the issue was caused by Industrial Action affecting rotas and 10 flights were cancelled, the only item I can see on BA's website is the Italian action and BA says that only affects flights to and from Italy.

Daughter and partner were given a 10 voucher each.

I'll push them to pursue EC261, we'll see what happens.

Often1 May 8, 18 11:11 am

I would do some sleuthing to find out why an Italian ATC issue affects VIE-LHR. If BA simply asserts this later, just responsing that it doesn't make sense isn't enough.

By way of example, closing off or reducing airspace over Italy could cause air traffic to be pushed north and thus force reductions in traffic north of the affected airspace because that airspace can't handle the volume. Alternatvely, it is a typo which gains a life of its own.

nufnuf77 May 8, 18 11:16 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 29729793)
EDIT: ooops, had Venice in mind as VIE rather than Vienna. possibly a knock on from Italy, I know Vienna is not in Italy btw!

Why do you always break my heart like this, Darling :) ?

inew May 29, 18 2:13 pm

I was also affected by this cancellation and I was given with reason of "industry action" by BA. I have found information about this cancellation on site thebasource.com where this flight was listed as "BA704/BA705 London Heathrow – Venice" (notice Venice instead of Vienna). I hope that this flight hasn't been cancelled by mistake in writing of arrival airport :rolleyes:

Does anyone have an update on this case?